Newby wanting to build an engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tevans9129

Reaction score
Hello to all, I have been reading and looking since coming across this site by accident and have become fascinated with the model engines and the work folks do with them. I would like to try my hand at building one of these and needless to say, I am a rank beginner.

After looking at many designs, the Gerry’s Beam engine is very attractive to me but the question is, am I being unrealistic with this as a first try?

Many years past, I did some basic gunsmithing and built some reloading tools such as swaging dies for .224 and .357 bullets. I have a small knee end mill with DRO and a Rockwell 10” lathe plus an 8” rotary table and an index head.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Ted

How easily discouraged are you?

The nice thing about a beginners engine, like a simple wobbler, is that it's designed so that you can make beginner's screwups and either still have it work, or not waste much time fixing it. A super beautiful reproduction of a vintage engine, or something designed to be of that period, is going to require a lot more skill to get it working, and a lot more plain work.

I'd get the plans for the super fancy thing you want to build and tack them to the wall behind your bench. Then I'd get plans for a beginners engine and build that, remembering that what you're doing is building the skills you need to build the fancy one.

If you just have to start on the fancy engine -- plan on making every part twice, and maybe a dozen times for the critical ones. If that's going to make you give up, then take up golf.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, Tim.

"How easily discouraged are you? "

I would say not very...I have been married three times. :)I have built many custom cabinets and furniture so am fully aware of the learning curve and re-doing. I am also bull-headed, stubborn and do not like for something to get the best of me.

I would certainly suggest that whatever you choose, if you're handy with a camera you should put up a build thread here. Not to puff yourself off -- you're a beginner. Rather, because experts will be looking over your shoulder and pointing out where you're doing well, and where you need improvement.

Thanks for the suggestion. Photography, still, is one of my hobbies. It is encouraging that folks here are so generous with their help.

Gerry's Beam Engine is a nice looking model and should make an interesting project. It's barstock, so if you have to make a part a second time, no big deal. That still happens to me. You've done gunsmithing and built custom cabinets, so you know how to make parts to print. My opinion is get the beam engine plans and get going. I suspect you'll do fine.

Regards,

Chuck

Thanks for the comments Chuck, much appreciated. I have the plans and have started drawing them in Autocad. By doing that, it oftentimes presents problem areas without physically doing the process on the material. It also allows me to print out 1 to 1 that can be used as templates to check my intended function.

I need to add to my stock of aluminum and brass before beginning to cut. Another possible delay will be if my upper AR comes in I will need to get the lower milled.

Thanks again. Ted

Full 3D plans available for the Minney traction engine like the one in my pic (and the attached file), but this took me almost 3 years to build, and may be a bit complex, although I was a beginner when I took this on. All you need is a lot of patience, but no better machining learning experienced to be had.

Attachments

• IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 131
I have been making clocks for a few years, then made a Stirling engine and that got me looking at steam engines. So , I bought "How to build a traction engine" by George Hughes. I had a lathe and a mill from clock making, but in terms of steam.....I was (still am) a rank beginner. After a year or more, and several posts here, I am almost there.....so if you want a challenge and a book that walks you through the build (rather than just plans) -this is one option

Since you have a nice lathe and a mill you could start with a steam engine castings, do a search for casting kits and see if anything looks good to you...

Attachments

• IMG_1995.JPG
    IMG_1995.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 50
Full 3D plans available for the Minney traction engine like the one in my pic (and the attached file), but this took me almost 3 years to build, and may be a bit complex, although I was a beginner when I took this on. All you need is a lot of patience, but no better machining learning experienced to be had.

A very impressive project!

I have been making clocks for a few years, then made a Stirling engine and that got me looking at steam engines. So , I bought "How to build a traction engine" by George Hughes. I had a lathe and a mill from clock making, but in terms of steam.....I was (still am) a rank beginner. After a year or more, and several posts here, I am almost there.....so if you want a challenge and a book that walks you through the build (rather than just plans) -this is one option

Thanks for the suggestion Ken, I am in a very preliminary stage and at this point, nothing is set in stone. My original selection is still at the top of the list but that could change.

Since you have a nice lathe and a mill you could start with a steam engine castings, do a search for casting kits and see if anything looks good to you...

I have looked at some of the casting kits but not for a first project...a concern about making an error. Bar stock is much less expensive than the casting kits, at least the ones that I like. This one is my favorite at this time.

https://www.pmmodelengines.com/shop/steam/steam-engines/steam-engine-7/
Thanks for the suggestion.

Ted

Kozo Hiraoka's book "The Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (the first project for the beginner)" is a good place to start (that's one of the first models I built) and the book really is well written and illustrated with the beginner in mind, lots of explanations covering all aspects of the various fabrication methods required.

Kozo Hiraoka's book "The Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (the first project for the beginner)" is a good place to start (that's one of the first models I built) and the book really is well written and illustrated with the beginner in mind, lots of explanations covering all aspects of the various fabrication methods required.

Thanks for the suggestion Peter, looks to be a very good book. Unfortunately, I am not willing to spend that kind of money on a book at this time, perhaps later.

Why not a PYRTE traction engine as a starter. The full instructions cost me about £ 22 from memory, but can now be obtained as a book in kindle for considerably less. Build time is supposed to be about 140 hours & there is an owners forum with a lot of decent pictures. All from bar stock. dearest part is the copper for the boiler tube but soldering is basic for the beginner. There are some decent modifications suggested to things like the wheels to make them look better & it is a great learning item that actually will pull you along
How to Build a Steam Engine from Scratch - STEAMSHED

Last edited:
justisla..After reading your post
"How to Build a Steam Engine from Scratch"
There is a lot of information there even if your not going to build that engine
Thanks for posting that. Packrat

I started with the wobblers years ago. You learn a lot in a short time and real rewards quickly. This is on of many. It has just four parts, cyliner, body, crank, and fly wheel.
smallengine2 (2).jpg

Here watch some of Joe Pleczynski YouTube about machining a small steam engine, it may or may not make you want to make a steam engine..

Last edited:
Back