I'm building the Stuart Turner Major beam engine at the moment. I should have it finished sometime this year but have
been working on it for the best part of 18 years. Working on the governor system and having fun with the 7/8" balls.
Congratulations! looks great so far.............but be very careful because there are mistakes in the prints. I built one a few years ago but failed to document the mistakes which I should have done. Prints were produced (I think) in 1979 and I was into the project to the point where I just wanted to get it done. It runs on about 5 PSI. Probably the nicest engine I've produced.
Kept on working the bearing blocks and then moved on to the sol plate.
I used a 1/4" round end mill.
On the blocks I went down to about .115 to give me something to work with when
I brought the pieces together. Then I used the same mill on the Sol Plate to mill
the opposing grooves.
Once both sets were done, I used a long 1/4" reamer to finish up the first full pathway.
Then I slowly increased the size of the reamer 1/64th at a time up to 5/16ths for a final size.
Everything lines up, but I have a lot of cosmetic fitting to do to make things look good.
That is going to have to do it for now, off to California to visit the Grand Kids.
Back after the 15th.
Thanks for reading,
Denver, Colorado USA