Stuart Compound Twin Build -

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BACK IN THE SHOP FINALLY !!!

Spent all day yesterday cleaning, putting tools away, tramming the mill.

Spent today reviewing other build logs on the same engine.
Then started back up.

I decided it was time to work on the Sol Plate and Bearings some more.
so I got out the bronze Bearing 1/2 castings and cleaned them up.

First squared up the sides, and then the bottom.

Blued the bottom and marked out the centerline.
Then drilled the thru holes for the mounting bolts.
Finally tested the fit.

------
First one done, 2 more to go.

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3991.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

Thanks for reading -
More to come.

JP Denver

Very interesting thread. I am working on the Triple. Tom Walshaw did a series in the SIMEC magazine on building one. I would love to get my hands on them.
Cheers
Peter

In the preceding months, I did work on the pistons and started the cross-slides.
But I decided to work on the lower section first.

I messed up the first LP Piston, so I had to use a slug of mild steel to replace the Cast Iron.

IMG_4005.JPG

Hi all,
I'm building the Stuart Turner Major beam engine at the moment. I should have it finished sometime this year but have
been working on it for the best part of 18 years. Working on the governor system and having fun with the 7/8" balls.
20201006_081218.jpg
20201020_160331_001.jpg

Congratulations! looks great so far.............but be very careful because there are mistakes in the prints. I built one a few years ago but failed to document the mistakes which I should have done. Prints were produced (I think) in 1979 and I was into the project to the point where I just wanted to get it done. It runs on about 5 PSI. Probably the nicest engine I've produced.

John

Kept on working the bearing blocks and then moved on to the sol plate.

I used a 1/4" round end mill.
On the blocks I went down to about .115 to give me something to work with when
I brought the pieces together. Then I used the same mill on the Sol Plate to mill
the opposing grooves.
IMG_4020.JPG
IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4025.JPG

Once both sets were done, I used a long 1/4" reamer to finish up the first full pathway.
Then I slowly increased the size of the reamer 1/64th at a time up to 5/16ths for a final size.

IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4028.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG

Everything lines up, but I have a lot of cosmetic fitting to do to make things look good.

IMG_4031.JPG

That is going to have to do it for now, off to California to visit the Grand Kids.
Back after the 15th.

Thanks for reading,
Jim
JPDenver
Denver, Colorado USA

Hi Jim,
I also have been watching your build, and I also want to congratulate you on the fine work.

I want to pass on a little trick I saw years ago, that an “old timer” did. Can’t remember who it was, so I cannot give them the credit due.
It was a finishing touch and this has to do with studs and nuts.

Ill try to describe it, and hope this comes out.
For studs with nuts, which are “acting” like a bolt, he would locktite the nut onto the thread, this now made it function like a bolt. But the trick he did was, leave 1 or 2 threads exposed, and dome the end of the stud, either in a lathe, or drill press and a file. That way every single stud and nut were exposed exactly the same. Some might say it look too much like a CNC was involved and removed the look of the hand made, some might say,, it was the sprinkles, on the cherry, on the icing, of the cake.
You could even make up a selection of “studded” bolts in various lengths ahead of time, with the exposed ends already domed.
Your opinion might vary,,,
Just trying to give ideas what I have seen over the years, and try to pass it on.
Looking forward to more pictures.
It is builds like this that help inspire others to start. And I can’t think of a finer compliment.
Regards,
Ken

Ken,

Thanks for your advise. I'll give it a try.

I am getting ready to start up again, I am moving my shop in the next week.
Out of the garage and into the basement.

So check back next weekend for some more progress.

Latest posts

Back