Oilfield "Pumpjack" model plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Due to a lack of "real work" right now, I'm going a git gaga from boredom. I don't feel like machining anything after my Webster engine thrash, but perhaps if there was enough interest I will do a complete set of plans (free) for a model pumpjack that you can power by whatever engine you choose. I visualize something about 8 or 9" high x about a 12" long base x perhaps 3 1/2" total width. If you are interested, please let me know on this thread.---Brian

Thanks Brian,

I've been thinking about that too, since it was mentioned awhile back.

From what I am able to determine, the only "expensive" part of one of these units (other than the brass and aluminum) will be a set or two of reduction spur gears. From experience gained when I built "The Pump" last year, it will have to be a large gear reduction to bring the speed down to acceptable limits. From pictures I have seen of these pumps operating, they certainly are not moving fast. I know that the spur gears I bought from Berg when building my Webster engine ended up costing $80 (tax and shipping included)----and that was for 2 gears only----and thats pretty steep for anybody on a fixed income. (Hell. it was expensive for me, and I'm still working!!!) I have a whole box full of gears that I scavenged from an electric drill repair company, but it would be nice if I could model something using components that EVERYONE has access to and are inexpensive (I know thats asking a lot). I am probably like a lot of you fellows---Fairly competent at building models, but not so good that I would tackle making gears. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.---Brian

Brian;

Might have a look at RC cars. The off road racing RC cars have some heavy gears and need a bunch of reduction. They have them in different pitch / tooth counts. Even have bevel gears. A lot of them are plastic but they also have metal. Nice thing is that you can design around the gear rather than having to buy a specific gear.

Being here in Oklahoma, which is big oil country I will be interested to see what you come up with. If you need any pictures let me know. There are pumps all over the place.

EDIT:

I know nothing about this company and just post it as an example of what might work:

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/catalog.html#

Black85vette--Thank you for the excellent idea. The model shop in town here where I bought my traxxas carburetor were really impressed with my webster, and they did mention that they sold gears. I will persue that on Monday and see what I can come up with.---Brian

Put me down on the interested side of the page as well.

Hey Brian put me down for being interested and by the way back some years ago ( about 35 ) I got the opportunity to work on one I had to do some machine work for this company that rebuilt them and they a sprocket and chain in them about a 120 size chain 4 teeth wide very large and heavy that might be something to look at. Thought your Webster Engine was fantastic. Cliff

IIRC you can get 4:1 speed reduction with one set of Robinson gears (that's what's on my Cracker), but staying in metal for any larger sizes gets very expensive quickly.

I know it is in the UK, but their international posting costs aren't too bad, and of course I don't know how large you really want them, but I have just bought a couple of these for a forthcoming project.

RBGears.jpg

Go down the page some and you will come to change gears. These are machined from solid billets, not cast as shown, and have a keyway ready cut.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/MYFORD_LATHE_USERS_NEW1.html

Another source for standard mod sizes might be here.

http://www.technobots.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Front_Gears_365.html

Hope it helps a little.

Bogs

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMWqEzeS-NIu[/ame]
I would be interested in some drawn plans, my old friend made this on, it has a 4 to1 gear reduction in the box, the bridle is a string where the polish rod is suppose he has string, it goes un and to the back where he has a spring to keep tension on the string, think we are doing to find an oil well to pump on, looking forward to the built, thanks, Lathe Nut, pecked away at my on Sidney lathe today, got just about everthing moving, oil and tap with a light hammer getting it, time forze and time will un freeze it

Brian Rupnow said:
From what I am able to determine, the only "expensive" part of one of these units (other than the brass and aluminum) will be a set or two of reduction spur gears. From experience gained when I built "The Pump" last year, it will have to be a large gear reduction to bring the speed down to acceptable limits.

Why not a worm and wormwheel ??? 1 step big reductions. Old windscreen wiper motor. ???

Best Regards
Bob

I think I was the numpty that was asking about plans for the pumpjack recently.

The RC world has a lot of gears to offer. I was going to suggest electric RC racing boat suppliers.

Ok, more to the point, Brian, if you make the plans I'll download...

;)

Brian,
I'd be interested too.
Dennis

I am interested as well, as I sell kits for an oil field engine, and have another one on the drawing board. www.lonestarengineworks.com

Was it a scale model you were interested in drawing up, or a freelance, or something
from a picture you have? it would not take a lot of power to run a pump jack model, so
I would suggest the size you mentioned would be the minimum size. It's also easier to
add detail if the model is larger. If you would like to use some castings let me know.

As far as the gears go, any model worth having is worth investing a bit of money and time
into. Not to say one should be wasteful of either. Here is a web site which offers surplus
parts, and has an abundant supply of gears at a very reasonable price.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

What media do you plan to draw your plans in?

maury

Maury--I do all my work in 3D Solidworks. The plans I create are not super detailed true recreations of existing machines. They are a visual representation of what the machine looks like to a "casual observer". The overall mechanical functions are identical. They are not complex, professional modelmaker plans, but are geared more to novice machinists and hobbyists. Most of the people on this board have small machines, so I try to keep things relatively small to fit in with their lathe and mill sizes. The majority of us on this board have at least one smallish air/steam engine--1/2" to 5/8" bore, single cylinder. We all like to have a machine to run with our small engines.---Thats what my plans are about.---Brian

Okay--We're going to throw this open for a bit of discussion. What you see here is a general arrangement of what I have in mind. The sizes and layout of components are true indicators of what the detail drawings will be. I have animated it in my software, and it runs just like you would expect. I haven't finished the gears and countershaft yet, as I haven't had a chance to research gear availability. Nor have I yet shown the cable and spring that will anchor it to the base. As far as ratio and proportion is concerned, it reflects what I have "seen" in pictures, as I don't have one in my back yard to measure (Darn it!!!) Speak up guys----don't be shy. I may not take every suggestion, but the ones I consider as having merit will be added into the model, or changes made as required.---Brian
OVERALLPUMPJACK.jpg

Dunno if you can access back issues of Model Engineer Brian, but if you can there is some excellent 'further reading' in the series by Tubal Cain on building one of these. Not sure how long it ran, at least 10 parts, from memory and was a highly detailed model.

Neddy.jpg

I would be very interested in your plans.

My father was in the oil business for 50 years, and I would like to have a working model of a pumping jack to remember him by.

I also worked in the oilfields in summers during college, another reason to want a working pumping jack.

I would most interested in one that was mechanically accurate, even if it was not a model of any particular make of jack.

Here is an extremely nice 3D model, with nearly 25000 polygons. Available in .DXF, .3DS (3D Studio), and .MAX (3ds Max 8.0). It's at TurboSquid 3d Marketplace: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/255752

However, it's $187.50 to download. Never mind.

Back