Not a Coomber! Now a Laminar Flow

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flywheel mostly complete, really winging it here. Put the web into the rim, somewhere 'round 3-4 thou difference in diameters. Heated (actually read the directions this time) the assembly and gave it the dip, swirl and shake in the fluid bed. Liked the first one better, part was cooler so the powder kinda stuck to the piece rather than melt upon contact. This has a thicker coat, but its all good.

After its cure time and cool off I trimmed up the rim. Now on to the next piece.

Robert

DCP02283.JPG

Took a left turn from a revolving cylinder, went to a Laminar flow, had that Airpot piece calling to me. Wanted something that did not require air to run. Getting this to run is a story to itself.

Thought I'd get fancy and add a spinner to the flywheel. The inner set of spokes are on a separate bearing, now I gotta chuckle, for a spinner to work it seems that it needs to be on the same shaft as the flywheel. This is not, both the flywheel and spinner are located to a solid shaft via ball bearings, a Duh moment. . . Kids says I was having too much fun cutting out the pieces all of the same pattern to notice the booboo. Something will come up to get the effect.

As to this thing running. I can get it to tick over but just barely, takes way to much heat. Thinking the chamber volume at TDC is too large in that when it draws in the hot air it becomes too dilute. Tomorrow I plan to make a plug to reduce the cylinder volume at TDC and see if that helps.

Seen plenty of samples run off a candle so know it can be done.

This model got me to play with powder coating (fluid bed method) Its interesting.

Robert

DCP02293.JPG

DCP02294.JPG

That looks very cool Robert!

Kind of like the one i built a while ago, only better!!! ;D

From the looks of it your steel wool seems to be loosely packed in the tube.
I packed mine in quite solidly into the bottom of the tube.
Used 0000 steel wool as the regenerator.
About 4 inches in length.

I tried a lot of various options and the lightly packed option did not work for me.

Try it, you may be surprised!
They are quite easy to get running!

Andrew

Took the Airpot piston out, tis quite a gizmo indeed. Has a one way valve built into the piston to release the air from the cylinder as the piston travels to TDC.

Holds a vacuum well e'nuff, but no pressure. Might just be a bit of a reason this thing is being fussy. A dab of JBWeld and in a few hours shall test the pudding.

Robert

DCP02297.JPG

Yours is different to mine!

Hopefully a dab of JBWeld in the hole will seal it up nicely!

Andrew

Sealed the piston valve and now it has a tick, wheres that hammer. Tried different packings, not much change. Tomorrow another day to play with it, in the mean time a short vid of it ticking over. Not 'nuff light for the camera so is a bit redish.

Robert

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHzUAREZqdQ[/ame]

;D It's a runner! Well done Robert Thm:

Kind regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
;D It's a runner! Well done Robert Thm:

Kind regards, Arnold

I gotta kill that ticking tho. Found it, the con-rod attaches to the piston via a ball and socket mount, socket being a piece of rubber locked in with a metal cap. I extended the con-rod by cutting the con-rod and slipped a piece of brass tube over it. There is just a bit of play in the ball and socket mount and the brass tube just kisses it. All loctite'd in now, have to see if I can slip a cushion in there to stop the tick.

If I wanted a slow runner I got it. But its all good fun

Now to finish it up

Robert

Very cool!!!
Congratulations!!! ;D

Mine also makes the ticking noise...
I suppose i could also loctite the ball and socket and put in a small joint in the con rod.

Love the look of the flywheel!
I know a lot of work went into that one!

Andrew

Gonna call it done. If I keep playing with it something will break.

Tried different grades of packing to see what change in speed would result. From coarse (100 rpm) to finer thats in it now (175 rpm) not a lot of change. Volume of test tube seems to have a greater effect. If the packing on this one is closer to the restrictor it wont run at all. Much nicer to run off spirits, no, blah! soot.

Video coming

Robert

DCP02300.JPG

DCP02301.JPG

Tick, tick, tick, tick....etc!!! :big:
Turns into background noise after an hour or so!

I like the stand you made for it!
Did you include that into your build log?

Andrew

lazylathe said:
Tick, tick, tick, tick....etc!!! :big:
Turns into background noise after an hour or so!

I like the stand you made for it!
Did you include that into your build log?

Andrew

Burner only holds nuff fuel for about 15 minutes of run time. Starts out slow then speeds up after a couple minutes, then after a few more settles down to a good and steady 160 +/- rpm.

Base is just a piece of floor tile, carbide bit drilled the mount holes thru. Now to find the camera for a video and see if I can get the flywheel spinner to function.

Robert

Latest posts

Back