Not a Coomber! Now a Laminar Flow

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foozer

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing Arnold cruising along on his latest build got me thinking. Not always a good thing.
Building the comber model is a tad over my skill level but like the motion of it. Did a sketchy look at to see if I could, with what i have, do something similar.

Dont know what its called but the dirty animation seems to show that it will work. If I start now I should be done in about a year :) Flywheel spins, cylinder spins on offset axis, piston connects to flywheel and it should go round de round. Haven't seen anything like it, but then me new at this stuff.

Anyone know what the heck this type of configuration is?

Robert

whatsit.gif

Go Robert ;D

Nice project choice Thm: - I'll definitely be following along.

And I don't think a coomber is below your skill level; you're plenty capable of building one.

Kind regards, Arnold

Robert, and anyone else interested in this design.

On Bill Reichart's site (now run by his widow) is shown what he called the Gyro engine. It works on the same principle you are looking at.

Click on the very first picture along the top if this link doesn't take you to a description of it, and it will take you to a few details about it.

http://www.billreichart.com/engines.shtml#epi

I bought the plans a fair while ago now, meaning to make one similar one day, and the main issue appears to be the rotary valve that the cylinder rotates around (or inside).

John

Bogstandard said:
Robert, and anyone else interested in this design.

the main issue appears to be the rotary valve that the cylinder rotates around (or inside).

John

There's a working model, thanks. Haven't worked it out, but was thinking something along valving similar to what an Elbow Engine, oscillator engine uses. Should keep me busy for a while.

Robert

Nothing much, figured out how to cut the flywheel web, really do need to get a mill.

Got the jig sketched up for mounting and moving the web around to get the lathe to make the cuts I want. It'll only be as good as the effort i put in to locate the index holes.

Found if I post, then I do a bit quicker, thats my story and I'm sticking to it

Sketch of the jig and one of web in place for a cut, all has to fit within a 6 inch envelope.

Now to turn that into metal.

Robert

jig.jpg

jig1.jpg

Turned a sketch into a piece of metal and it even looks like what I drew up.

Must of been the "Make a Plan" before cutting that did it, thats a new one for me.

Took some care in making the jig, planned out and followed the order of cuts and now I have a flywheel web. One thing did not look into enough and its a oh well, was thinking of using some brass sch 40 pipe for the rim. Ah the 3 inch stuff has an id of 3.06 +/- so cutting a web from 3 inch stock just ain't gonna work. Well still have a few pieces of round solid brass, guess if I'm careful i'll still have a usable yet smaller dia piece left.

Pic of the plan, making the jig, cutting the piece and finally the end result. One down unknown to go.

Seems to be a theme I have going, curvy, curvy is good.

Robert

jig2.jpg

DCP02262.JPG

DCP02266.JPG

DCP02268.JPG

Seems to be a theme I have going, curvy, curvy is good.
Always ;D

Good going Robert Thm: - not idle at all, are you!
Is that brass or bronze ? - anyways, that bit of round metal is worth quite a bit more than the note ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

One thing I'll never do again, well until I use up the brass stock, is to chain drill. BLAH!
Tried a hole saw, nada. Chain drilled a piece of round to get a hunk for the flywheel rim, cleaned up, and its a wonder the poor little 109 is still alive and kicking after all the fuss she put up.

With a soda in one hand and a large newly found hammer in the other I ended up with what will be the rim. After all that fussing with the rim decided the first version of the web was just to plain, so conjured up another design. This time I think I got a tad bored :) Ah but this time set a couple roll pins to ensure the jig stays put during the various cuttings. Shall see what the next few days bring.

If I knew what I was doing wouldn't be nearly as fun

Robert

1a.jpg

2a.JPG

3a.JPG

So after the chain drilling fun had to make up a nicer web design. Jig v1 failed, the sorta milling attachment for the lathe doesn't have enough travel for the v1 layout, cured it with v2. Same design just a bit of relocating the part to fit within the envelope.

After some 28 or so operations ended up with, well, least I know the jig is good. Not enough meat left on the web for durability. No biggie, with a good jig in hand, I can always make another, which of course shall be done over the next few days. Tis what happens when your not watching the dials close enough :)

Robert

coomber modify.jpg

DCP02273.JPG

And so another blank drilled up to become a web is afoot. Holes all 'bout bored to size less the stage to which nipping out the piece is in order. Not doing so creates an unwanted projectile I'd rather not play with today. Have the web standing off the faceplate so the hacksaw blade can do its job. The ah, nip on me thumb is what happens when, well holding the part in hand and letting loose the hacksaw of destruction perhaps was not the best idea.

After a bit in the deburr one each web with a bit more meat to it. Now to bore the center for a bearing and set the rim

A completely TLAR type of flywheel

Robert

DCP02274.JPG

DCP02275.JPG

DCP02278.JPG

;D Some progress!

I agree Robert, That Looks About Right :bow: - well, except for that nip on the thumb that is ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

Wont be the last finger nip either. This web shape might work Ok. The first design had 6 good contact points whereas this one only has the 3. Gonna have to be a good tight fit for it to stay. Need to find some dry ice for the web cool to fit this one together, maybe. Guess is that a 0.006+/- diff in dia should give a good and solid fitup. Will know in a few days

Robert

Robert, may I be so bold as to suggest that you go for less of a press fit ? - 6 thou is likely to collapse the web... 2-3 thou should be plenty to hold it permanently.
Just a thought...

Kind regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Robert, may I be so bold as to suggest that you go for less of a press fit ? - 6 thou is likely to collapse the web... 2-3 thou should be plenty to hold it permanently.
Just a thought...

Kind regards, Arnold

Bold is good, I'll shoot for 3. Think I used 3 thou on the flywheel to the Elbow Eng, it has a lot more surface contact and sure stays put.

Bold is good, I'm just guessing most of the time.

Flipping little thumb nip sure smarts like the dickens, silly thing :)

Robert

Someday's. . . Was boring the hole, didn't matter how many times I checked it, still ended up a tad to big. Bearing ended up as a fall thru rather then a push in. What to do, make a new web?, nothing new to learn in that. Ok, want to make the hole a tad smaller, do remember reading about knurling used to upset the metal. No knurl wheel, got a lighter tho. Took the little striker wheel from a lighter, slipped it on a piece of stock and ran it thru the hole. Worked, upset the material enough to take the bearing back to a push in state, once Loctite'd in she be good to go.

Off to look up and order me a couple of them for real type of knurl wheels. Good band aid fixer and I do need band aids. So from error I learn another little tid bit.

Robert

DCP02279.JPG

Innovative recovery Robert Thm:

Flipping little thumb nip sure smarts like the dickens, silly thing :)

Wonder what reminded you that that lighter wheel is knurled ??? ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Wonder what reminded you that that lighter wheel is knurled ??? ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

Didn't think I had hollered that loud when I thwaped it:)

Got bored, that or take this old 109 cough cough lathe and chuck it into the sea, I'll go with bored for now. Thought I would try a bit of powder coating.

Looked for the simplest way I could find and came across the fishing lure, fluid bed method. Dug up a couple of cans, lower one is the air chamber which connects to the upper via glued together plastic lids. Most of the inner diameter was removed, a coffee filter placed over the opened bottom of the upper container and things snapped and taped together. Some air applied and the powder just sorta bubbles like easy boil water.

The coating is from Eastwood and is a Cast Iron type finish. Stuck a booboo piece in the toaster oven at 350 for a while to heat up. Gave it a dip, swish and shake in the fluid bed, back into the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and ended up with. . . TADA.

Course for a real part, a spot that wont show afterwards is in order for an attach point

Finish actually has a casting look to it, I like it, easy peasy.

Robert

DCP02282.JPG

DCP02281.JPG

Latest posts

Back