Mendocino motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgjessing

Reaction score
Hi all! Remember me? I've been off playing with model airplanes for a couple years... stuff like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2257072 (I know - I should build a 1/6 scale VW engine for it :rolleyes:).

Anyway, I've always been interested in the magnetic levitated, solar powered "Mendocino motor", and I've started work on one I'm making the frame out of scrap 12 mm Corian - that plastic counter top stuff that looks like stone. It machines really well, and can be easily polished - nice stuff :). So far:

DSCF3495.jpg

DSCF3498.jpg

I was impatient, so instead of ordering some nice rare earth magnets I opted for ceramic ones from the local Radio Shack. Originally I had two of them at each point, but that was obviously not going to be able to support the weight of the finished armature. So this afternoon I went back and got a bunch more, and now have it set up with four at each point, which I hope will work. The solar cells aren't here yet, so in the mean time I've got a 3" corian disk for a flywheel, just to see how the levitated shaft works. I've spent all kinds of time getting the thing balanced , and it spins pretty well now. I'm running it up with wood cone in an electric drill, stuck in the hollow end of the shaft - I'm guessing 800 rpm or so. It spins pretty true until the speed drops way off, at which point the free end starts bobbing all over the place, finally colliding with the magnets in the frame just before it stops. It's statically balanced - I'm guessing the magnets on the shaft have uneven power around their perimeter, and that starts being an issue at low speeds.

I'm going to wait for the cells to arrive before starting on the core, just in case the quoted dimensions aren't correct.

I've got a huge spool of 24 ga enameled copper wire laying around, so that's what I'm going to use.

More as things progress!

That is really interesting! I can't wait to see it finished and running!:)

I messed with this sort of thing years ago but didn't get anywhere.

I look forward to seeing your results, good luck! :)

Got a bit of a delay going on here... As it turns out, the place I ordered the solar cells from is in Australia (I wondered why they said it would be 1 to 2 weeks...). Anyway, Visa flagged the transaction as possibly fraudulent, and put a hold on it, without telling me :rolleyes:. I found out about this (began to find out) at the gas pump a couple days ago when the damn thing declined my card. Fifteen minutes on the 800 number revealed the situation and the guy said he would fix it. I emailed the supplier with this happy news. Haven't heard back yet... So I dunno :wall:.

All I've done on the motor in the mean time is to glue the additional base levitating magnets in place.

So we're waiting... :)

Can you please let us know where you're sourcing the solar cells? I'm in Australia and this is one build that I've been considering as a side project for a while.

Latest posts

Back