Newbie and the Elbow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flywheel is bad but usable for now.
I'm just not getting enough shop time.

Much better, seems an actual do-able. Hardest part now is getting the scribe marks lined up. Magnifier is around somewhere, it'll show up when I quit looking for it.

This pass at releasing the spokes from their hiding place is going better than the first attempt. I can still hear that one chuckling "You'll never find me!" After an hour of thumpty, thumpty, thump boring its time to relax.

Robert

DCP02134.JPG

I hope you didn't jinx yourself.
If I comment (positively) on my work...things will go awry.
Well...commenting negatively too.

Foozer said:
One more piece for the "Wall Hanging of Educational Endeavours" Whee! for short

With all the "Way past my skill level" models on this site the ego can get a tad bruised, but then I gotta remember I am a newbie, and every "Whee" part I make just adds appreciation towards what others make look so easy.
A while back I ran across a quote, roughly paraphrased-- 'There's two kinds of advice on the internet; "I think:..." and "I did:...". Your job is to identify them, learn the difference and when which is appropriate.'

I always try to pay careful attention to the "I did's" from the top hands here, they've made a whole lot of Whee! parts getting to that skill level.

shred said:
I always try to pay careful attention to the "I did's" from the top hands here, they've made a whole lot of Whee! parts getting to that skill level.

Good advice, lots of educational information on this site from which I try to develop a best practice method from. Knowing why something did not work makes one think, hopefully increasing the successful "I did's"

Shall see what develops today, the more operations upon the part made, the more care required, a mental shift needing application at the beginning of the project.

Robert

Good slow day,

Took my time and just whittled away at it. Spokes are making their presence known. Came out better than I expected, considering the use of witness marks. The boring of the larger diameter holes evenly kissed the edges of the smaller holes.

Next up is drilling the piston and hold-down holes, then mount the rim. I begin to see why a mill with a rotary table is often spoken of fondly. Till that day arrives, its faceplate and soft jaw chuck :)

Robert

DCP02138.JPG

Foozer, the spokes look great!

As for having all of the equipment to make a process easy... Well, part of the fun is finding solutions to problems with the resources on hand. If we had all of the gizmos that would make the current task easy, then the hobby would get boring in my opinion. Half the fun is the challenge of making the journey!

Wareagle, thanks, now to hurt my head coming up with a way to drill the piston holes without using the less than trustworthy tailstock.

Zee, 1 out of 2? hmm actually better than my "Bride" history, course she thinks I'm making some sort of carrot slicer :)

Robert

Figured I'd just keep on roughing out the pieces before working the critical s. Did the cylinder, would of been nice to have done both pieces at the same time, but drilling and boring 2 inch deep holes on the AA109 just aint gonna happen.

Next up get the flywheel support piece roughed out. If I remember right this piece "has" to be 90 degrees to the base. Should be a curious affair.

Robert

DCP02139.JPG

Next up get the flywheel support piece roughed out. If I remember right this piece "has" to be 90 degrees to the base. Should be a curious affair.

It is. Took a piece of 0.375 thick stock, rough cut to size with extra to allow for hold downs upon the faceplate. Skimmed one side, flipped it and did the other. Figure if the faceplate is skimmed flat then the piece should also end up with parallel sides. Mic says its ok. To get one edge at 90 degrees to a face the "Be Careful" method of work-holding comes into play, as said in another thread, be attentive when hanging weight on a face plate, add weight to counter balance. (removed for shot)

So I have my square edge that will be needed for the jig to carve out the radius for what hopefully will be the flywheel support.

Robert

DCP02141.JPG

DCP02145.JPG

Got my test piece for the flywheel support looking like I sorta want. Elmer calls for 0.375 thick but it looks a tad skinny. Might try a 0.500 piece with some rounding at the base, see how brave I get and if the 109 can manage it. Just looks too plain.

Used the faceplate to bore the curves into the sides of the support and rigged up a sanding disk to round over the top. No fingers were abused working this contraption.

Robert

DCP02147.JPG

DCP02148.JPG

Looking good Robert.

I used 3/8" thick glass with a sheet of fine sand paper on it to true up the surfaces.

Kenny

The one part of this build that worried me was the drilling of the air passages. Not a drill press item. No mill so, and then i 'membered why I made that little plate full of threaded holes last year (aside from being bored). Mounted it to the carriage, set down a 2 inch long piece of scrap and drilled a #30 hole thru.

Changed the machine pulley drive to crank er up as fast as she'd go and applied the peck drilling method. Boy-O-Boy, a powered lead screw capable of incremental steps sure would be nice, beyond me to figure it out but I can dream.

Anywho, times I amaze myself for the gizmo contraption worked. The bit went in and came out near dead on to the tailstock center.

Can be done, must be a sharp drill bit, lots of cleaning the chips out and shots of WD40 dont hurt either.

Now its to make another flywheel support piece a tad more robust than the first one. Thinking I'll drill the air passages first, then do the shaping and such.

Robert

DCP02149.JPG

DCP02150.JPG

I've bin watching this with interst Robert.

It's comming together well ;D

Those long holes can be a bit of a dog, I broke a long series drill when I dilled the supports for my elbow, scrapping the job. Nice and easy is the order of the day

Keep up the good work ;D

Cheers

Stew

Foozer said:
The one part of this build that worried me was the drilling of the air passages.

I'm happy it's only one. :big: I'm still at the point where I worry about every one.

Let the air flow

Got the passage ways in the flywheel support drilled, no broken bits, holes met up just fine. Gave me a good idea on how to manage the piston bores.

Time for a Corn Dog to celebrate . . . Really need to get a pair of them goggle type magnifies

Robert

DCP02151.JPG

Hi Robert

I found the best way to make the cylinders was to make the two together from one bit of bar then when you've got the bores done part them off but don't forget to mark them first so you connect them up in the same orientation they were drilled in, also take care to get them concentric with the bore and evenly spaced.

Good luck

Stew

Latest posts

Back