Newbie and the Elbow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foozer

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least gonna attempt one. After moving, still unable to find anything and really trying to avoid the "Honey Do or Else" list, figure why not add to my personal insanity by trying to build an Elbow Engine. That design looks easy but have read enough builds to know that for me it will be challenging altho far better than "YUCK" yard work.

Liked that revolver look so sketched up what I will try for, now to go and see what stock i have around buried in boxes and get to it.

Robert

Elbow1.jpg

Most excellent. I'm glad to see you're starting a thread.
Looking forward to it.

Now if the flywheel spokes were angled, you'd have the world's first elbow fan.

Good luck with this one.

Watching the Three Stooges and wondering which one of them I most resemble. . .
Had to do a quick and dirty lathe repair, was wondering why she was a-given fits towards a smooth finish. Didn't take long, the aft, outboard, port side, err spindle bearing on the left side was toast. Its an old AA109 which is a fussy mistress on the best of days.

As the original bearing (bronze sleeve) slips tight into a 0.750 hole in the headstock and my spindle is 0.550 in dia some ID/OD .500/.750 ball bearings were screaming ME ME ME.

This spindle I made some months back so it being solid turning down the bearing portion to 0.500 was doable. Turned down the portion that the spindle gear attaches to, too 0.375 to allow for a slip on piece that will bring the shaft back to 0.550 to attach the gear to. (2 many 2's) One spindle 2 bearings with a spacer, now to put it back together and see how well she holds up.

Robert

DCP02122.JPG

Machine repair done, best repair would be to lift cutting bit and install a new machine under it, if the "Bride" stops finding things to spend my allowance upon . . .

Any-who, got the flywheel blank mounted, Oh ya this is faceplate work and with this hunk of AL turning, a counter weight is in order, tomorrow task.

The blank has around the circumference three equally spaced scribe marks and is set upon a dowel pin. Another scribe mark is upon the face of the plate. Idea is to bore a segment, turn the blank to the next scribe mark and so on. The nubbing in the center (centre) of the blank is my cut to mark. Its a low and slow process coming up, that's a lot of material for this old lathe to be a spinning.

Robert

DCP02124.JPG

Hi Robert,

I like to see your progress on the engine and the flywheel. Seems quite a setup on the faceplate to me, curious how your machining order will be on this part. Keep the pics coming, they are appreciated!

Regards Jeroen

Best wishes on the build Robert. If you guys keep making these things I am gonna have to add it to the to do list which is already long enough. Still its fun to watch while otherwise occupied.

Regards,
Bill

I love that engine! Best of luck Thm:

Matt

coopertje said:
Hi Robert,

I like to see your progress on the engine and the flywheel. Seems quite a setup on the faceplate to me, curious how your machining order will be on this part. Keep the pics coming, they are appreciated!

Regards Jeroen

I'm curious myself. Took near 3/4 pound of counter weight to keep the faceplate somewhat stable. Used a soft jaw chuck skimmed for flatness and such to true up the flywheel blank. With the blank offset, will bore out each web in turn, are witness marks at 120 degree intervals around the blank with another on the face plate. Bore one web, rotate blank to next mark, repeat. Pop it back into the soft jaw chuck and turn the blank down to my hubs "cut to dia" Fun part will be drilling the piston holes, be some sort of jig so both pieces match up. Really counting on the use of the soft jaws to help things stayed square.

Its cold out, most everything is still in boxes from moving and I,m getting black and blue from the brides "Thwacking Stick" Turning metal into chips is just fun, if it actually comes to fruition of a functional end product thats a WHEE moment

Robert

Nice start Robert Thm:

Just plan ahead and do things carefully.

...if it actually comes to fruition of a functional end product thats a WHEE moment"
Tell yourself and believe it WILL come to a successful end; then you've got a much greater chance for that WHEE moment ;)

Regards, Arnold

Thats so very true Arnold!

Do I understand correctly that you will make the spokes on your lathe? If so that will be quite a challenge!
Metal working is a perfect way to relax the mind. After a busy day at work 1 or 2 hours in the shop is enough to have a clear mind.
I am sure you will have your WEE moment, no doubt about that. As long as you take it step by step it will be ok.

Good luck and have fun in the shop, Jeroen

coopertje said:
Thats so very true Arnold!

Do I understand correctly that you will make the spokes on your lathe? If so that will be quite a challenge!

Yup on the lathe which limits what I can do. If what i want to do to the piece doesn't fit within a 6 inch dia circle then its back to the drawing board. Its slow but doable.

Of course the "Bride" won out against a mill yet once again. Set of studded tires for her car or a mill, I've eaten my own cooking, her car now sports a new set of studs :)

Robert

You all make this look so easy, boy did i get suckered in :)

Had to get a boring bar with enough reach to avoid the mounting hardware. Got one that takes inserts to ease the pain, worth the few days wait.

Starting to look like I pictured, have one more bore to do to free up the remaining spokes then its the make or break stage. Drilling some straight holes, peck and clear, peck and clear.

Hmm guess you can make a spoke type flywheel on a lathe, should be a decent SPINNER

Robert

Dcp02125.jpg

What are you going to make the rim out of?

And yeah...it'll be a better 'SPINNER' than mine. :big:

zeeprogrammer said:
What are you going to make the rim out of?

And yeah...it'll be a better 'SPINNER' than mine. :big:

Have a hunk of brass from another flywheel exercise that should work. Trying to avoid cutting up a big round just for the rim. Hmm a 5 inch dia flywheel, could put 5 such spokes into it. I cant, lathe tisnt big enough, but with a mill HMM. . .

Lets see what mischief I can get in to today. Get that last bore done and then set-up to cut the revolver look on the hub.

Robert

With Stone Axe and Flint Knife I continue on

Bored the last hole to free up the spokes. Starting to look like something. Left that little bit of material as its still needed to reference the next op or two. Tomorrows another day and working up a drill jig for the piston holes is next.

Robert

DCP02126.JPG

One more piece for the "Wall Hanging of Educational Endeavours" Whee! for short

Lack of experience details on the piece of the right. The OOPs now I cant bore the inner holes very well can I. Another hunk of stock and this go round drilled and bored the inner holes first.

All being done on a faceplate so progress is a bit slow. Could just make this motor as Elmer drew it, but what fun is that.

With all the "Way past my skill level" models on this site the ego can get a tad bruised, but then I gotta remember I am a newbie, and every "Whee" part I make just adds appreciation towards what others make look so easy.

Now to cut out the webs and see what happens . . .

Robert

DCP02133.JPG

Not to worry Robert. The 'tail of whee' will shorten.

I sure hope that's not last year's tin of sardines. ;D

Latest posts

Back