Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig12763

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself a little.I'm am just starting in this new hobby,mostly reading,I haven't purchased my machinery yet but know what I would like and need.

? Has anyone built models from Stuart Model CO.? Are they a good company to deal with? How are their casting qualities and plans,are their books worth purchasing also?

I'm glad to find a forum where even the newest of interested hobbyists can participate. I'm 48 and have built model all my life,just not out of metal. I'm a welder/fabricator and carpenter by trade.This machinist's hobby has fascinated me for years and I hope to start machining soon,even if it is really slow. Any suggestions on reading material of worth to the budding machinist would be appreciated. Thanks guy's,hope I can be welcome here being this new! :bow:

Welcome aboard, Craig.

Stuart makes some fine, albeit expensive, casting kits. Castings, however, are deceptive. To the novice they appear to simplify the process of building a model. The reality is that working with castings requires more expertise than building a model from bar stock. Start out with some of the simpler bar stock models discussed here and build up your skills before attempting a set of castings. You'll learn more and suffer less frustration.

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

Has anyone built models from Stuart Model CO.? Are they a good company to deal with? How are their casting qualities and plans,are their books worth purchasing also?

Stuart kits are top notch I have a kit here ready to build. There is a guy here that did a fantastic job on the lathe model. Stuart has been around a long time. Do not think you will be disappointed with quality.
That said there are advantages with bar sock engines for the beginner. It is not unusual for the the beginner to have to make a part several times before it is satisfactory. This gets expensive with castings. also work holding of the raw parts is easier with bar stock.
After you get a couple builds under your belt You may also want to look into http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/home.php?cat=4 not stuart but quality made in usa kits and a little less pricey than Stuart. PMR are popular kits you can even get pre machined kits so you can build an engine before you get the lathe and mill.

Any suggestions on reading material of worth to the budding machinist would be appreciated.
This may help.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=9413.0
Tin

Welcome!

If your new to machining, and in lathes in general, I would suggest Southbends "How to run a Lathe" which I believe is in publication through Lindsay Pubs.

What you'll learn there will apply regardless of which lathe you buy.

Who can reference a good "How to run a Mill" book?

Dave

Welcome to your new home :big:

Dave

Craig,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

steamer said:
Who can reference a good "How to run a Mill" book?

Vertical Milling in the Home Workshop - Arnold Throp ISBN 085242843X - Workshop Practice Series No. 2. available from My Hobby World.

There are also a couple of books by Harold Hall in the same series but their actual titles elude me at the moment. ::) :mad:

Best Regards
Bob

Just wanted to add my welcome as well Craig. Happy you found us andsn please don.t be shy about jumping right in.

Regards,
Bill

Latest posts

Back