Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark
I find it difficult to understand how the previous owner(s) stripped the gears - never seen anything like that before. You ask should you fix the gears or fit a DRO. Its got to be the gears and a complete strip down to find out what else is wrong. The half nut and cross/top slide nuts/screws could also be suspect. The DRO is simple to fit (magnetic strip under the cross slide preferred) and can be installed at any point. Sorting out the gears is a biggish job but not difficult.
Keep us posted on your progress,
Mike

Mark
I find it difficult to understand how the previous owner(s) stripped the gears - never seen anything like that before. You ask should you fix the gears or fit a DRO. Its got to be the gears and a complete strip down to find out what else is wrong. The half nut and cross/top slide nuts/screws could also be suspect. The DRO is simple to fit (magnetic strip under the cross slide preferred) and can be installed at any point. Sorting out the gears is a biggish job but not difficult.
Mike
Hi Mike this is what I think happened the previous owner was cutting thread carriage hits chuck hard gears somehow do a complete rotation stripping the teeth and then the machine is turned off just been on eBay and I can’t get hold of both of those gears new so I’ll have to get the dro first and then the gears otherwise Mike I would have definitely taken your advice on board thanks

Mark
Mike
So Mike I ended up getting the backgear cluster for £80 and someone on a different forum has kindly given me the the gear assembly for the cost of the postage there’s been a few teeth damaged but but they have been repaired might need a little bit of finishing but I’m sure I can do that but it means that next month I’m going be in the position to get the dro kit too

Hi Mark - steady on! You do need to check the saddle and half nut while you have everything apart. Good idea to mic up the bed to check how much wear there is. I am not sure which are the active surfaces on your bed - Myford made a change on the ML series at some point to increase saddle rigidity.
You then need to decide on the type of DRO to use. I always discourage going for the cheap options which are similar to the vernier displays - personal view based on experience of both.
Be aware that you can "correct" side bearing surface wear with a diamond block, a good quality angle plate and a decent mic.
Best of luck
Mike

Hi Mark - steady on! You do need to check the saddle and half nut while you have everything apart. Good idea to mic up the bed to check how much wear there is. I am not sure which are the active surfaces on your bed - Myford made a change on the ML series at some point to increase saddle rigidity.
You then need to decide on the type of DRO to use. I always discourage going for the cheap options which are similar to the vernier displays - personal view based on experience of both.
Be aware that you can "correct" side bearing surface wear with a diamond block, a good quality angle plate and a decent mic.
Best of luck
Mike

That’s going to be my next step I’m just not in a rush that’s all I will give it all a thorough check and clean as I go just as these bargains come along I have to jump on them

Oh, I see now that I overlooked "Mark" in the body of the introduction. I am guessing the Matk was just a typo.

Mark, my apologies!!
Hahahahah not a problem at all I never caught the typo myself but now I’ve read this myself and seen it in my post I’ve had a little laugh at myself and you are definitely as your name states awake hahaha

That gear looks rough indeed.

And it makes me wonder what incident caused that much trouble ?
A big jam that damaged other things ?

I think the headstock bearing are pretty hardy, and perhaps poured babbitt or bronze ?

The lathe seems like it has seem some use, but does not look too bad all things considered (depending on exactly how much it cost).

From the photos, it looks like you will have to pretty much check everything and see how much work will be required to get it into the tolerance range you need/want.
When I get a used piece of equipment, I assume that anything that can be adusted incorrectly is adjusted incorrectly.

Edit:
A quick glance on ebay seems to indicate that an ML7 can potentially be worth their weight on gold.
One is listed for $6,000.00, marked down from $9,000.00.

Another one more reasonably priced at $4,000.00, that looks like it is in very good condition.

Edit02:
I don't recall seeing the three white speed control ? knobs on the top left on a Myford.
How do those work ?
Hi hi its a ml7 long bed tri-leva basically my understanding of this is that with the levers there is no need for moving the belt to increase or decrease the speed I hope that helps and you are probably right about things being adjusted incorrectly but as far as I’m concerned I’m assuming that anyway I think that’s the safest bet all around as you can see it looks like it hasn’t been used in years hence the buildup of crud on the gears and also the good thing is that the top slide moves front to back 38inches and it doesn’t get harder or looser so I’m hoping that it ok the is damage to the top slide and other bits of the top slide but it will all be getting painted cleaned and oiled at some point as I go

Just watch out that you do not set a twist in the bed when you mount the lathe. Small lathes are not a stiff as you may expect, and a twist will mis-align the tailstock from the headstock, and also the main saddle will not follow a straight line from headstock to tailstock, making it impossible to machine a parallel cut.
If you have never set-up a lathe before, then find a utube video on how it is done and follow that carefully.
ENjoy!
K2

Hahahahah not a problem at all I never caught the typo myself but now I’ve read this myself and seen it in my post I’ve had a little laugh at myself and you are definitely as your name states awake hahaha
Ha - awake is a combination of my first initial (Andy) and the first part of my last name. I think my wife would say that it does not otherwise particularly describe me ... :)

Latest posts

Back