Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powellkop

Reaction score
Hi all new member here my name is Mark i recently purchased a a myford ml7 tri-leva I knew it was going to be a bit of a project but was ok with it being as is a long bed but when I got it back home after a 420 mile round trip it had more wrong with it than I thought lol the gears are totally stripped of teeth the forward and reverse drum switch was broken I’ve fixed that it needs a re-wiring just bought everything in for that now I’m trying to decide whether or not to get a DRO or get those gears replaced first and should I or shouldn’t I take off the apron to see what the half nut looks like and also what the oil looks like in there let me know what you think by all means I’m currently just in cleaning mode at the moment and will be for quite a while I’m not in any hurry

Thank you for taking your time to read my introduction I hope you enjoyed it and didn’t fall asleep lol

Thanks again Matk

Attachments

• IMG_2659.png
    IMG_2659.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 85
  • C903EA32-5A69-4A19-83DB-2E96089ABBF8.jpeg
    C903EA32-5A69-4A19-83DB-2E96089ABBF8.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2612.jpeg
    IMG_2612.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2660.png
    IMG_2660.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 79
Hi all new member here my name is Mark i recently purchased a a myford ml7 tri-leva I knew it was going to be a bit of a project but was ok with it being as is a long bed but when I got it back home after a 420 mile round trip it had more wrong with it than I thought lol the gears are totally stripped of teeth the forward and reverse drum switch was broken I’ve fixed that it needs a re-wiring just bought everything in for that now I’m trying to decide whether or not to get a DRO or get those gears replaced first and should I or shouldn’t I take off the apron to see what the half nut looks like and also what the oil looks like in there let me know what you think by all means I’m currently just in cleaning mode at the moment and will be for quite a while I’m not in any hurry

Thank you for taking your time to read my introduction I hope you enjoyed it and didn’t fall asleep lol

Thanks again Matk
View attachment 150719
View attachment 150720

Attachments

• IMG_2496.png
    IMG_2496.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2495.png
    IMG_2495.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2494.png
    IMG_2494.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2491.png
    IMG_2491.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2660.png
    IMG_2660.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2659.png
    IMG_2659.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 2845AAAF-5883-4993-837A-E9F24354E743.jpeg
    2845AAAF-5883-4993-837A-E9F24354E743.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2612.jpeg
    IMG_2612.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
That is a great lathe.

I know just enough about them to be dangerous, but I have seen a lot of Myford lathe info posted on the net.

Maybe somebody here can help.

Welcome.

Pat J

rMYFORD-ML7-01.jpg
rMYFORD-ML7-02.jpg
rMYFORD-ML7-03.jpg
rMYFORD-ML7-04.jpg
rMYFORD-MISC-04.jpg
rMYFORD-MISC-06.jpg
rMYFORD-MISC-07.jpg

Hi. New member from nort Ireland here. I am 70 years old an have been making miniature steam locomotives for 40+ years, currently buil a 7 1/4” gauge Romulus to the Peter King design.

if you want to know anything else, please ask

kindest regards

paul

Thanks again Matk
Welcome to the group

Dave

That is a great lathe.

I know just enough about them to be dangerous, but I have seen a lot of Myford lathe info posted on the net.

Maybe somebody here can help.

Welcome.

Pat J

View attachment 150748View attachment 150749View attachment 150750View attachment 150751View attachment 150752View attachment 150753View attachment 150754
I don’t even know enough to be dangerous yet but will be as so as I re-wire this thing and get the rest of the things done that I’m planning on lol

Mark
I find it difficult to understand how the previous owner(s) stripped the gears - never seen anything like that before. You ask should you fix the gears or fit a DRO. Its got to be the gears and a complete strip down to find out what else is wrong. The half nut and cross/top slide nuts/screws could also be suspect. The DRO is simple to fit (magnetic strip under the cross slide preferred) and can be installed at any point. Sorting out the gears is a biggish job but not difficult.
Keep us posted on your progress,
Mike

Welcome, Paul,

And welcome, Matk! Please correct me if I have gotten this wrong - in the original posts, it is Matk, but everyone seems to have interpreted it as Mark. Either way, welcome!

That gear looks rough indeed.

And it makes me wonder what incident caused that much trouble ?
A big jam that damaged other things ?

I think the headstock bearing are pretty hardy, and perhaps poured babbitt or bronze ?

The lathe seems like it has seem some use, but does not look too bad all things considered (depending on exactly how much it cost).

From the photos, it looks like you will have to pretty much check everything and see how much work will be required to get it into the tolerance range you need/want.
When I get a used piece of equipment, I assume that anything that can be adusted incorrectly is adjusted incorrectly.

Edit:
A quick glance on ebay seems to indicate that an ML7 can potentially be worth their weight on gold.
One is listed for $6,000.00, marked down from $9,000.00.

Another one more reasonably priced at $4,000.00, that looks like it is in very good condition.

Edit02:
I don't recall seeing the three white speed control ? knobs on the top left on a Myford.
How do those work ?

Last edited:
Welcome, Paul,

And welcome, Matk! Please correct me if I have gotten this wrong - in the original posts, it is Matk, but everyone seems to have interpreted it as Mark. Either way, welcome!
Hi Andy !

Thanks again Matk
I don't know which name is correct

Latest posts

Back