Need 7x Lathe Tooling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuelrush

Reaction score
Does anyone know where AND what cutting tools I could get for my 7x12 lathe. I need a good turning tool, parting, and cutoff tooling. I don't have a QC tool post, I don't really need one at the moment. I've had ok success with HSS that I've ground, but a while back I tried to turn some free machining 303 stainless and it basically rubbed the tool to nothing. I'd like to have something that will hold up, even better a set of tools (turning, threading, parting etc.) though I've seen indexable tools on LMS I'd rather not spend $90 per tool though I like to not have to grind and having the chip breakers ground in is nice.

Need:
Parting and cuttoff
Turning tool for harder metals.

Thanks for the help!!!

Hi Fuelrush

HSS will wear more quickly on steel and for hogging out indexable carbide is the way to go.

However, it's also possible that the HSS toolblanks you got did not have cobalt added. I have blanks from several sources and some are definitely much softer. The best ones I have say SOBA on the side. Which I could remember who I bought them from .. :'(

For indexable carbide I bought some budget ones that were absolute CR*P. However I then wise'd up a little and bought a set made by Glanze (btw their boring bars are the business). But I wasn't quite as wise as I thought as my ones use the CCMT diamond shaped inserts, which means only two cutting corners per insert. So if you get one try for the ones that use square inserts that way you get 4 cutting corners per insert.

Carbide will not give a good finish on steel (well not very good) so its probably best to finish with HSS the last few thou. Lard works well as a cutting lubricant, microwave it so its runny and paint it on the area to be cut with a scrap brush. HSS, lard, with the correct feeds and speeds gives the best finish you can hope for, short of grinding.

Good luck with the tooling

picclock

For threading i would say a good HSS blank with cobalt, ground correctly should be all you need but pay the price for good HSS it is worth it and will last longer

For parting again get a HSS blade and a "parting block" its just a little holder for the blade. Just grind a small radius for the chips to curl in just back from the cutting edge and it should be sweet

If you want a good carbide insert tool the CCMT inserts (diamond shaped) mentioned above are great, they are the only inserts we use in tiny tools at work

Oh Dont forget to keeps some HSS blanks around for Brass and Aluminum. Brass needs NO top clearance and Aluminum like a very sharp tool, they are very easy to grind much more forgiving so you can forget about carbide for them most of the time. If you can find a set of small HSS holders they would be a great idea so you can use smaller blanks and those sets are very cheap

I hope some of this helps if you cant tell I am bias to HSS ;)

My lathe is a 9 inch and I like making tools.
First picture shows external tools and are from left a special parting tool described some time ago here.I do not have any Hss cut of tool anymore.
The insert threading tool is put on compound slide with the discs shown giving correct height.
There is a self made tangential tool that is very easy to sharpen and 2 CCMT insert holders for both 80 and 100 degree corners.
The big cylinder in background was made with the CCMT holder in the middle and the crankshafts to a certain extent.
For external turning I prefer Inserts if speed can be high.

The next picture shows a collection of Komet tools made of HSS and a single Insert boring bar when I can have some speed.
Komet was licence made in GDR from Ifanger that have a nice catalouge on the Web.
If someone want something a-like please measure the EXACT height from top of compuond slide to center and I can easily sketch one.

Kind regards
Niels

IM000177.JPG

IM000178.JPG

I have a 7x12 lathe and am happy as happy gets with carbide insert type tooling. HSS is good once you learn how to grind them.

While LMS is a very good vendor some of their pricing is too salty for me. I bought a nice set of 5 1/4" shank indexable holders with inserts for something like $20 from Harbor Freight. While the inserts included seemed a bit brittle they work well enough. I've just now bought replacement inserts and am very pleased. I use the straight on holder for threading as it's 60° already.

I also have a couple of Glanze holders for CCMT and RCMT inserts and as somebody else pointed out they are 'the business'.

I buy a lot of my tooling on eBay. If you keep a lookout there are great deals on tooling to be found.

Great example, I recently bought two Micro 100 brand carbide boring bars with .187 shanks. Both for $14 to my door. These bars are amazing. Cut 12L14 like butter.

For a cutoff blade the one LMS sells (or one like it) will do. I have one and it works well. Replacement blades can be bought cheaply if you look around.

Another bit of advise... Avoid hard steels like Hot Roll when free machining material like 12L14 or 1144 will do. Save your sanity and your tooling.

HSS is usually the best choice for 7X lathe projects, but I agree that carbide indexible tools are very nice to work with.
I too bought the $30 5-pc set with the triangular bits. The bits were junk, the toolholders were soft. And I have since learned not to trust a toolholder that does not capture a corner of the insert.
Also, of those 5 holders, you only use two of them 90% of the time.

Buy a few good toolholders from this guy.
Very helpful, good prices, and he won't sell you something you don't need.

http://latheinserts.com/category.sc...66F2D644AC61C826E8.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=82

Latest posts

Back