MY Seadog

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My computer "Kung fu" isn't good enough to figure this one out..... ;D

I can try to "re-export" the file at a "lesser" MS state of being..... ::)

Dave

I use Firefox and although, I have problems with some pages, these are ok.

Helder

OK lets try this.
Seadogheadassembly.jpg

watercooledcylinderheadconceptsecti.jpg

The bottom one is a section view of the head through the valves.
The bottom one has annotations showing how the water comes in through 3 holes from the barrel, goes around the head and comes out of the head.

I propose to make water passages with a slitting saw and enclose those passages with a ring that is glued on with Loctite.

What say you folk....genius, folly? or something in between......and more importantly, have you a better idea?
;D

Constructive criticism welcome!
Dave

Hey Bob and gang,

I reposted the print of the head drawing as a link to my photobucket account. ( 5th post this page, below the jpg)

You can click on it and blow it up to get resolution. It is of the head itself without the enclosing ring.

Dave

Making progress.....the choice was to make the head

P2150075.jpg

Setting up the head and fixture
P2130044.jpg

P2140046.jpg

Here's the machine set up.....very adaptable
P2150069.jpg

The valve cages in place with the spark plug hole...not tapped yet
P2150070.jpg

Custom reamer for the valve guide.
P2150071.jpg

Time to cut the groove for the water jacket.....
P2150073.jpg

P2150074.jpg

Dave

Dave,

Looking good - Great Head Job :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

A masterpiece..I'm fascinated!!
Best regards...
Paolo

Steve,Paolo, and Bob,

Thanks for the support! :bow:

Steve, I think I'm going to survey the available slitting saws in the draw...keep you posted... ;D

Dave

Steve,

Looking at the part, I see no problem going to .050 thick. That will be deep enough to keep the loctite out of the groove especially if I add some loctite grooves above and below the jacket......this should be an interesting operation....got to get me a DRO!

Dave

stevehuckss396 said:
I was thinking deeper not thicker. None of my business, keep cutting, you are doing an awesome job!!

Only problem with going deeper is I get within the ring of the head bolts....I don't know much about the aluminum, but it is soft, I'm afraid it might distort....with 6/1 compression, I don't think over heating will be an issue...I just want some cooling there as opposed to letting the head fend for itself......

Dave

Dave,

If it looks right and it feels right there's a good chance it is right. ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Dave showed some interesting faceplate work back a few pages. We have a fellow in our ME club that was a master of the faceplate- we used to call him Faceplate Rollie.

He had one very interesting fixture for setup. A piece of angle iron, maybe 2" flange about 12 " long. Near one end was mounted a big ball bearing- he favored a Volvo water pump bearing because he has a bunch in his scrap. On that bearing was mounted a threaded arbor made to exactly match his lathe spindle nose. The faceplate screwed onto this arbor.

The angle iron was first clamped in the bench vise so that the faceplate was horizontal. In this position it was eay to arrange things, and setup the clamps, because the plate was nice and flat. He had a rod attached to the angle iron that held an indicator so he could set parts to run true in this horizontal position.

Once everything was mounted and tight he moved the angle iron to make the faceplate vertical- like it will be in the lathe. In this position he added balance weights until the whole load was well balanced.

Then he would unscrew the faceplate, transfer it to his lathe and make the cut.

Later he bought a nice CNC mill, now everything he does in on the mill.

If you have ever heard of 'Rollies Fathers Method of lathe alignment" this is the same Rollie.

Hi Ron,

As you know, I count Rollie as my friend and one of my mentors. He is a very wise and talented guy who always shares his knowledge freely. I am always amazed at the simple solutions he comes up with for seemingly impossible to make parts......He's a real treasure, and is HIGHLY respected for his talent, common sense and knowledge. ( His Bently BR2 has to be seen in action to be appreciated)

Good People, This weekend coming, on Saturday, please come and meet Rollie and the rest of the great bunch of people of the New England Model Engineering Society in Waltham Massachusetts. We are having our annual show. Details are here. www.neme-s.org

Ron is past President and founder, and I am pleased to say one of my friends too.

Ron I do hope your bringing a car load....the kids will be bringing display items this year too! I am sure my son will want to explain his model boat to you. ;D

Dave

ps
I keep meaning to make Rollies faceplate set up fixture....just havn't gotten the "roundtuit" yet........ ;D
Dave

Checked with the experts yesterday, they say that the head is not worth the trouble to put water cooling in. It will be cool enough based on contact with the water cooled barrel alone

Saves a bunch of work for me!

Onward!

Dave

The head is nearly done

Needed to make a special D bit for the carb mount

The carb is locked in with a cotter, made of brass which needed to be located before the hole was finished. You can see the crescent shaped cut in the brass post in the second photo. Now that it's bored, I'll take that cotter out, shorten the far side .020" and put it back in. The 4-40 nut will clamp the cotter down and lock the carb in position.

....all I'm up for tonight.

Dave

P2230122.jpg

P2230124.jpg

P2230125.jpg

P2230127.jpg

Dave,

Very nice work, coming along a treat. Neat idea for the camlock on the carby. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

That OS carburettor is exactly like the one in my nitro 1:8 Inferno buggy. ;D

Latest posts

Back