MY Seadog

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the process of powering up a model tug. To do that I am building a "Seadog" as sold by Scratchdog Motors and as featured in Model Engine builder.

1" bore and stroke 4 cycle of a distinctively "Westbury" style.

The engine will be built for RC, and I would like to finish her out in traditional early 1900's flare....bling if you must.

I intend to put a forward/reverse transmission and a centrifical clutch for operation.

There are some changes from the original, some for "use and abuse" sake and some because as the president ( small p ) of my own engine manufacturing company, I get to choose the "Bling" ;D

This is my first IC engine.....but not my first engine....if you know what I mean.

So here's where we are:
P1120034.jpg

Boring and facing the crankcase

P1010135.jpg

Timing case started
P1010138-Copy.jpg

Timing case on the block
P1020139-1.jpg

Setting up to make custom bolts
P1020140-Copy.jpg

Filing rest set up for Hex heads on bolts
P1020141-1.jpg

Hex Heads complete...about 2 minutes per bolt.
P1020143.jpg

P1020145.jpg

boring the timing gear cobore
P1020149.jpg

boring the cam gear cobore
P1090005.jpg

first operation on timing gear cover casting.

P1090007.jpg

Second op on cover
P1090009-1.jpg

Cam gear in place on locating button and positioned for proper mesh.
P1120013-1.jpg

Camshaft bore boring fixture with cover in place ready for mounting on the faceplate

Dave,
That's looking great! How long did it take you to get to this point?

Kevin

P1170002.jpg

Helping hands.....thanks little girl!
P1170006.jpg

Locating the fixture off the locating button.....next put the cover back on and
P1170008.jpg

Cover bored for outboard bearing and timing cover housing spigot.
P1170011.jpg

Cam tunnel bored.....cover removed first.

P1170013.jpg

P1170014.jpg

back crank case cover removed showing 1/4" shaft going thru three ball bearings in three parts.

The cam boring job was a Saturday morning. I would say I have about 30 hours into it so far...with fixtures and such.

There will be a good bit of casting clean up for good looks, but that won't be so bad
P1180015.jpg

The hole where it all happens.....
Dave

Uh Oh ! Another gotta-watch-it-come-to-life.

Thanks Steamer for taking the time to show us your work.

earl...

Steamer;
Thanks for the education - I'm the noob around here - there wasn't a photo here I didn't learn something from! Question - the second photo shows what I initially assumed was the equivalent of a milling plate attached to the faceplate; but then I noticed the holes are thru drilled but not threaded. Can you explain the use of this plate? Why are the holes not tapped?

Later photo's show non-drilled plates (fixtures?) used to attach castings to the faceplate - those appear to be methods of jigging that allow later removal from the faceplate and secondary machining operations to be performed without part removal from the jig. Correct?

All this curiosity stems from sitting around waiting for a back ordered copy of "Workholding in the Lathe" by Tubal Cain to arrive..... :big:

Thanks
Garry

Dave,

That's really nice work you are doing. :bow: :bow:

Some of your mounting techniques are inspirational.
smiley-signs021.gif

I reckon its going to be one really special engine and tug boat.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks guys!....

Gary
The Plate with all the holes in it is just an aluminum plate with a bunch of holes in it ::)
They are tap drilled for 1/4-20....when I need a hole threaded, I just tap it.....I'm lazy.

It was intended to be sacraficial, but I try not to cut that one....it's handy.

The face plate is 10" diameter and has a 2 1/4-8 spindle nose so the gapping hole at the center makes mounting smallish work problematic. I just mount this little plate on the big face plate for convienence. I have a fist full of small straps and such that help out here.

There happens to be a 1/4-20 hole darn near perfectly centered with respect to the lathe center....which is also convienent.

The non drilled plate is a piece of jig plate from the scrap box. I bored it for a close fit with the crankcase bore using a bushing to create a male spigot on the plate. Now I can mount the fixture where ever I want on the faceplate or mill and have at it, and it won't move around much. I'll hang on to these fixtures until I'm done...then back into the lucky box they go! ;D

These fixture plates are just that.plates..normally I square them up, the second one I didn't, though I may still. They make it easy to float around the machines with different set ups and be able to pick up the work again, especially with a mill vice, and they're simple things to make and use.

That set up took a bit of reading and noodling so that all that could be done in one setting on the lathe ( cover, gear case and block all bored at the same set up to maintain concentricity. ) I wish I could say I thought of it but I think ETW's writtings speak of this set up in many places....its just adapted to my lathe and tooling.

I like faceplate set ups as they are very versitle and quite ridgid once set......though I may be in the minority there.

Bob, I think it will be .....My kids are excited...which is the point of this exercise...My son really likes diesels....this is as close as I think "I" can make.... ::)
Dave

GMAC

When the book comes....fill me in on what I'm doing wrong huh! ;D

We're all learning...even those of us who have been doing it a while.....

Dave

Dave;
Thanks for the additional details. As for the book - I'm beginning to find out that this forum is much better than any book.....

Cheers
Garry

As a newbie, I am awestruck by this project. :bow: Your setups are a real eyeopening experience as how to hold parts on the faceplate.

Dave, that has got to be the most engine work I have ever seen done on just a lathe. Looks GREAT.
I am curious about that bolt making setup you have. Can you explain that a little bit? ??? ???

As others said, real nice fixturing and progress,
Shop looks well equipped too!

Thanks guys!

The thing on the tool post is a filing rest and mounts to my AXA tool post and utilizes the dovetail and a micrometer head for height adjustment. These are common on clockmakers lathes.....this one is on steroids and I really like it.
the indexer on the lathe
P1010195.jpg

The filing rest attachment
PC090005.jpg

A small hex head bolt like that shown can have the hex cut in a minute or two with a file.
The rollers are hardened drill bushings on spindles with a shoulder. I us a safe edge file.
Works well

As to set ups on the faceplate, thats what makes a faceplate so versitile. A word of caution. BE CAREFULL!
Turn the work by hand one revolution before starting
Start at low spindle speed
Keep you hands and clothes away!
Don't stand in the path of the plate when you start up the lathe!
Make sure your set up is strapped down tight before you start!
Make sure the faceplate and work are balanced...even just close to balanced....

Do this and life is good......do it not and you may have a big problem! NOTHING throws parts better than a faceplate! ;D

Dave

Hi Dave welcome aboard.
Lovely work and workholding. One concern..........
The file in the picture DOES have a handle on it doesn't it :)

Kind regards

Malcolm

Thanks for the explanation Dave. I think you have done a lot of work ahead of time, making tooling and fixtures, to make the process look easy. Looking forward to many more of your secrets & tricks of the trade.

Hi Malcolm,

Sorry Malcolm, no it doesn't...but it will.

The good news is the lathe wasn't turning when I used the file.....It was just being an indexing head. :)

Putputman,

Yes I have made some tooling for the lathe, I have been working at that for a while, the tooling I make is specific to the kinds of stuff I like to make, not just engines. :) I have twin 6 year olds, and time is precious. I take some of that time and make tools that help me be productive....I am just about done with the lathe, I need to make some tool holder and collet racks. Its taken a couple of years to tool and or make tools.....I enjoy the making them as much as using them too! ;D

I have several other specialized tools that I bring to bear....I am sure they will show up as I progress so I won't stray OT now

Latest posts

Back