MY Seadog

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave
No apology needed.
You have shown Us some lovely work which is very much what this site is about and i thank you for that. Keep up the great work, PLEASE.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Hi All,

Cam shaft today. I made it from stressproof so I can harden it. The main shaft will be soft and I will be loctiting it on to the main shaft. The shaft shown is a cutting arbor.

I am using Ron Chernish's CAMCALC program to create the coordinates for the cams .35 base circle with .075 lift, 120 deg for the intake and 130 for the exhaust, and .675" flank radius
I this photo, I am cutting the intake cam. The zero is the peak of the cam and I have marked 60 degrees either side of this for the cam flanks. The index plate is a 60 count (6 degrees) and this was plenty fine enough

P1240002.jpg

I cut the cam with the side of the cutter as I got better results doing that way. Cutting the exhaust cam was very similar as shown.
P1240001.jpg

P1240003.jpg

Once cut I trimmed up the diameters on the lathe and viola...a cam ready to harden and polish.
P1240008.jpg

P1240009.jpg

I would highly recommend Ron's site and his CAMCALC program. Works Great!

Dave

Beautiful!

Thanks for the clear explanation ;D

:'(

Well.....I screwed up .....
The first cam I made had an index error......strike 1

The second cam I made had no index errors and is pictured above YEAH!

Problem......My co-ordinates were wrong!........anybody want to buy a great looking junk cam?

Strike 2!

.......oh well...third times a charm.........I'll spare you pictures and leave the above as is...

Made up a timing gear collet and bored the gear to match. I'll post that later.

Dave

Screwed up? ???

Noooooooo
Sometimes you just need to make a couple practice to see what could
go wrong before you make the real part.

I have LOTS of practice pieces in my recycle box. ;)

Rick

Thanks Rick,

I'll at least have a part to show what it looks like ...sort of .... ::)

Dave

It didn't help that I swapped the intake with the exhaust to get the exhuast to the other side of the engine....

It confused the issue...even though that's what I wanted to do....I missed other things.

I have the new spreadsheet with the proper coordinates on it...but got honey do stuff tonight.....

Maybe this week......

Dave

Here's some more shots
New Stuff
P2070033.jpg

Collet for cam gear
P2070036.jpg

P2070034.jpg

Hardened( sort of, files skates on it but not too hard) and polished cam.

P2070038.jpg

I found that the method I used to profile the cam as you may understand makes small facets. This make great indicators for when it's being smoothed and polished with a diamod file. You know how much you need to take off and where.

P2070039.jpg

Top case will lifter holes tapped 5/16 -40 and dipstick/breather 3/8-40

More as I go.

Dave

Dave,

Coming along very nicely. :bow:

It's smaller than I imagined - can't think why ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Looking good. I like the way you are using a collet to attaching the cam gear to the cam shaft itself.
Regards
Ernie J

Bob and Ernie

Thanks for your support!

She's coming along. I need to bore for the cylinder spigot and the block is pretty much done. I am torn between the crank or the head next.....?

Dave

Ernie,

The collet is all ETW. I use similar hardware while designing machines and those collets work!
Can't recommend it more.

Check the web out for a product called "Trans-torque" You'll never even think about a setscrew again.

Dave

Can't say how nice your work is too many times. I'm sure you never get tired of hearing how much we like your hobby products either.

What type of aluminum is it that you cast with? 1100 pure AL, or one of the alloys?

Kermit

Hi Kermit,

Thanks for the support! :bow:

The casting is commercial and I believe the kit ( www.scratchdog.net) is made from A356.

Dave

Dave,

Don't know if it's my version of Acrobat but all I get is the title no nice neat CAD lines ???

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob.

Can't see the Jpgs either?

Hmmmmm

Probably a Vista thing......... :mad:...........when is MS dumping this?

Dave

The thing about Vista is - it would proably work great IF everyone else had vista too!
;D

Latest posts

Back