Marble lifting automation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK ... I am a whiz at this stuff and the engine will be running later today:)

Cheers

Tom

I just checked the junk box, and I found a piece big enough to make this if I can plug a couple of holes. Don't know WHO the darn fool was that went and drilled holes in all my good scrap-----:eek::eek:

Well, that's tonights bite of the elephant. I have a formula for fixing holes in the pieces I want to use. It goes like this--Turn plug .001 to .002 oversize from hole, coat plug with Red Loctite, get big "Turtle Killer" hammer, run out to anvil and --KERBLAM!!! Hole is gone!!! If you have good eyes you might be able to see the outline of the plugs. There are two of them.

A rooty tooty toot and a riggy jiggy jig and the parts start piling up!! Now I have to figure out a way to hold a hacksaw blade in my axa tool holder to cut some e-clip grooves on the lathe---

Well Dang!!! Why didn't somebody tell me how easy this was?-Wait!!---Maybe they did---!!!! This is a really hokey set up, kinda like running with a pointed stick---but it worked great. I put what I considered a reasonable cutting edge with about 10 degrees clearance rake on the hacksaw blade, squeezed it in behind a short piece of cutting tool and ran the screw thats on the far end of the holder down onto a double thickness of hacksaw blade so it wouldn't slip backwards. Cut the dandiest e-clip groove you ever seen. Don't try this without adult help----Don't try this at home---Yada Yada Yada--

Luc--Look at post #11 in this thread.

Brian --- I figure that one out but what did you do whit
the hacksaw blade that e clip was purchase

Btw I finally got my new motor installed on my lathe. It spin so fast
compare to the other one that I had to change my belt position on the pulley.
Ive be making chips for two days no glitch nothing :D
so tomorrows plan is to install my milling and smaller lathe behind my big one and finish the Rupnow motor after I had my share of down time
and I see the other guys running there's

Not one of my better digital photographs, but--That whole e-clip and welded link thing went very well. I had put a .030 x 45 degree bevel on the side of the link arms that was to receive the "weld"--actually silver solder, and a .040 x 45 degree chamfer on the head of the 1/4" round cold rolled. That way when everything is ground flush, I still have lots of silver solder in the joint.

Last edited:
Luc--Perhaps the picture explains it better. Those in the picture are e-clips. They don't need snap ring pliers to install them, they just push on. To remove them, wedge the corner of a screwdriver between the shaft and one of the inner "notches" in the e-clip, and you can pop it right off. And for a 1/4" shaft, you buy a 1/4" e-clip. The place where you buy them have a chart to tell you width and depth of slot that you are required to put in the shaft.

Oh Yeah!!! I like this!!--Its starting to look like one of those old time killer catapults they used to knock down castle walls----

Yesterday I was told, on another forum, that this build log was not welcome, because it isn't an engine. I don't see very many responses on this forum either, so perhaps this is not the type of model building that people want to see. If you look at this build log, say hello, give me a heads up. I find this type of thing as intriguing as model engines, but perhaps I have it wrong.---Brian

I think I'll go here now, because I'm getting a bunch of little pieces that need to attach to something bigger so I don't lose them all----

Brian, I for one am fascinated by this type of thing and I am watching the progress.

Cheers

Tom

Brian, I'm watching it because I love the marble machines. They are always interesting to watch. And if you wanted you could get them to fall onto a water wheel that turns a drive shaft. Then you could call it an engine I guess.
Can't wait to see it run,
Jonathan

:big:Stop talking and get on with the build Brian! :big:

Brian, I'd rather watch the progress builds of non engine projects, that deal with mechanical movements, (kinematic machines), because for me its interesting to see the linkages, and joints and fittings required to get some outstanding mechanical movements.

There is a lot of design thinking that goes into mechanical models, and its very inspiring to watch your design ideas come to life, starting from just a piece of paper, with design constraints as a list, to the stages of actual drawings and finally the build itself.

Your build blogs are extremely enjoyable to watch and be inspired by.

Keep up the great designs.

Build on young man, build on. Besides they apparently have a very narrow opinion of what an engine is. Remember that catapults, trebuchets, onagers and battering rams were called 'siege engines". Tell them to look up the definition of an engine - a machine that converts energy into mechanical force or motion. Yup, you got that covered - definitely an engine.

Don

Brian,

There is a lot of design thinking that goes into mechanical models, and its very inspiring to watch your design ideas come to life, starting from just a piece of paper, with design constraints as a list, to the stages of actual drawings and finally the build itself.

Your build blogs are extremely enjoyable to watch and be inspired by.

Keep up the great designs.

I'll go along with that!

Sheesh ... some people need to get out more.

Jim

Latest posts

Back