Greatings From Chicago!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lellasone

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've always been fascinated by miniature engines and now that I'm through undergrad (and have access to a shop), it's time to build some! I plan to kick things off with an Elmer 25 wobbler, and then go from there (maybe a beam engine next, I'm not sure what would be an appropriate second project). Longer term I'm also interested in gas engines, and in making a computer controlled plant with a pump/boiler/engine for a model boat. Although of course that's just the outline of a dream at this point.

Hobbies are always more fun shared, and I'm really excited to get to know all the wonderful people on this forum!

All the best,
Jake

Hi All,

I've always been fascinated by miniature engines and now that I'm through undergrad (and have access to a shop), it's time to build some! I plan to kick things off with an Elmer 25 wobbler, and then go from there (maybe a beam engine next, I'm not sure what would be an appropriate second project). Longer term I'm also interested in gas engines, and in making a computer controlled plant with a pump/boiler/engine for a model boat. Although of course that's just the outline of a dream at this point.

Hobbies are always more fun shared, and I'm really excited to get to know all the wonderful people on this forum!

All the best,
Jake
Welcome to the group

Dave

Hi All,

All the best,
Jake
Gday and Wellcome Jake , What's a Wobbler ?

Gday and Wellcome Jake , What's a Wobbler ?
Wobbler is the generic term for an engine in which the cylinder pivots as the piston moves up and down; the pivoting action implements a simple valve system and is a natural function of the changing location of the connecting rod on the crank. Basically, a wobbler is one of the simplest designs one can make. Can be driven by steam, but usually driven by compressed air.

That's a really slick looking project, and the thread seems like a gold mine. Definitely going on my to-build list.

Edit: What's that air connection you are using? I've been looking for something small enough to fit / look good on the build.

Last edited:
Festo make small couplers (KD range) - the one in the video is a 5mm - they go down to 3mm.
They auto close and I've never had a peep of trouble with them.
I use the 5mm on all my models.
In some cases I turn the male part when I want it integral to the motor (as in the case of my CIRCE engine).
FITTINGS-Model.jpg

Examples of home made fittings - on the left a 5mm with an M3 thread (Festo don't make one like that) and the custom inlet/exhaust ports for my CIRCE motor.
They also make a range of small throttles as well.
Festo attachment. (Disclaimer I have no financial interest in Festo or its products).
Go ahead and mine the site to your heart's content - also look for plans - particularly under Downloads, Plans & Engines.
Many members post their designs as well as build threads which are very informative.
Welcome to HMEM.
Regards, Ken

Attachments

• D15000100122991.PDF
    977.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back