Making the Small Parts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marv ........... that's just ........... (insert lost for words smiley) ........... stunning :bow:

and the wheels in picture #3 .............. :eek:

Thanks for the link ;)

CC

mklotz said:
Don,

The PMR model of a treadle-operated wood lathe calls for making a spur drive center from a 6/0 taper pin. Carving that shape into the end of a piece of stock 0.080" in diameter suggested that making a test piece first to validate the procedure might be a very good idea.

The picture below shows that test piece. It was done on the Unimat strictly by coordinate milling - I never looked at the part while making the cuts. [Although I must confess that my Unimat is heavily customized with dial indicators on all three axes.]

SPUR.jpg

The final part was made by fitting the taper pin into a matching tapered hole made in a piece of 3/16" square brass and duplicating the procedure worked out with the trial piece. It worked a proper treat. The lathe is out on loan right now so I can't get a picture of the pin but I'll try to get one when it returns.

Marv :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks for showing this. I knew that you still had some goodies up your sleeve so had to get you to show it. I can well believe machining it by the gauges as I would not be able to see any detail on the part if I could even see the blank. Heck, I had to magnify the picture just to see the beautifully machined spurs on it.

I followed some of the other links that you posted here and they are utterly fantastic. There are not words to properly describe some of what my eyes are seeing on this form and the ones you posted. I also found a few more links that I think every one would appreciate seeing. Just a word of warning, take a good magnifying glass with you.

http://scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/(Tips%20&%20Ideas).htm#wheels
http://forum.scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=167167

I am going to go and get my eyes tested tomorrow to see if I saw what I thought I saw or if it was just my imagination.

Cheers

Don

Marv...
I'd love the chance to spend a week or two just observing you as you work. That spur taper is some amazingly small work. Maybe I'll get there one day too.

As for those links.... Damn!!!! just DAMN!!!

Some people are simply beyond talented. Throw a pinch of obsessiveness and a dash of determination into the mix and you get to see miracles happen.

Steve

It's one thing to make an isolated tiny part but things get much more interesting when all the tiny parts have to fit together to make a tiny structure.

Here are the parts for the lantern style toolholder on the PMR dollhouse scale (1:12) metalworking lathe.

TOOLPOST3.jpg

They look a bit rough because of the extreme magnification. Viewed with the naked eye they look quite smooth.

The screw is 0-80. Note especially the rocker (bottom center). I decided to make this by turning a disk to the proper dimensions and then, using a 1/16" endmill, slice off the required part. I had to have some way to capture the rocker when it came free from the parent stock lest it fly into oblivion or drop into the swarf and be lost forever.
I rigged up a small neodymium magnet on a stand to grab the rocker as it broke free. That worked but it took a while to separate the now magnetized part from all the magnetized swarf stuck to the magnet. I performed that job inside a plastic bag to ensure that nothing got lost.

Also note the tool bit (lower left). In a fit of (misplaced) realism, I ground it with the proper relief angles and point to make it a thread cutting tool. :) That was a relatively easy job with the miniature grinding table I built for my Dremel.

Here's how all the parts fit together to form the tool post.

TOLLPOST4.jpg

Cedge said:
As for those links.... Damn!!!! just DAMN!!!

Some people are simply beyond talented. Throw a pinch of obsessiveness and a dash of determination into the mix and you get to see miracles happen.

Steve

Nope, you got it ALL wrong, sheer bloody pig-headed is the proper term to be used.

The only reason that I made some of that stuff was that I have 3 daughters and as they got to be teenagers, well, I just had to get out in the shed and get away from ALL the arguments and fighting. If I had had 3 boys, well I could have kicked butt, 3 girls, you just got to cut and run and hide.

Remember " that a man needs his shed ", without it, I possibly would now be in a mental institution.

regards greenie

greenie said:
Remember " that a man needs his shed ", without it, I possibly would now be in a mental institution.

regards green

Wouldn't we all

Marv,

What sort of camera is that to get such good close up shots ???

I'm a point it and push the button camera operator ::) On a scale of 1-10 camera skills -5.

Best Regards
Bob

The camera is an 8 megapixel Canon A630 PowerShot. I don't use a close-up lens but rather back off by about a foot or two from the subject and then use both the optical and electronic zoom to frame the subject.

The pictures you see have been downsized to 800 x 600 using IrfanView (recommended and free). In the full resolution pictures (~2.65 mbyte), you can see scratches in the scratches. :)

I've always owned Canon cameras and swear by them. In fact, I'm saving up now to get a Canon SLR.

Bob, I'd think almost any of the "point and press" camera's would produce a reasonable picture, though if you can use a tripod, even a small desktop mounted one that will help a lot. Personally I've always liked Fuji in the "point n' press" department and had good results, the Panasonic Lumix and Canon Powershot ranges seem pretty good ............. basically go for something with a short "shutter lag" and a good pedigree any you should be fine.

I also use a Canon DSLR and for any shot's where you need to freeze movement they are league's apart from point n' press ........... but there's a cost issue too .............. it's like buying a new Mill / Lathe really, it's what suits you 8)

If you think I can help at all just please drop me a message.

atb

CC

cheers all for the camera tips

Marv, that tool holder is soooooo cool

i had to go dig up a US penny to double check the size

thats crazy nuts small

so it there a lathe that goes with it ??

mklotz said:
I'm saving up now to get a Canon SLR.

I'm assuming DSLR Marv, imho you will not regret it ............. awesome kit, though 2 years down the line I'm still learning and expect to be for a few years yet 8)

CC

Yes, there is, Jack.

PMR (PM Research) in New York sells casting kits for a whole slew of dollhouse scale machine tools meant to be driven from scale overhead lineshafts. Their engine lathe

lathe.jpg

is the most complex of these models. You can see the rest of the models at:

http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/home.php?cat=6

I've built all of them and can attest to the fact that they're great kits and real attention getters when finished.

Marv, reckon you have seen these before, NO store bought kits, just starts with a block of bare metal and he keeps going until the bloody thing actually works.

This fella is truly inspirational.
Check out the 1/14th scale BRIDGEPORT that makes other bits, totally unbelievable.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Jordan.htm

regards greenie

Greenie,

Every time I log on here I find some one or other pushing the envelope further............. and further :eek: ........... and it just happened again ......

I'm not even going to try and find more superlatives to describe this work, cos' I will run out soon no matter what ??? .......... it's just (almost) unbelievable :bow:

Thanks for the link ;) .......... top class

CC

If anybody has a lot of time to kill, then take a stroll thru this site, you will just shake your head, or even give up completely on whatever your doing, the work is absolutely outstanding and every one of these true craftsman deserves to be honored in this way.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com

regards greenie

Just been through those links Marv put up.

Now that has to be doing the "ABSOLUTE IMPOSSIBLE", how anybody can accomplish making things in THOSE scales, I just got to shake me head in awe.

The bloke even runs some of these midgets on STEAM, if you aint had a look yet, then you gotta.

regards greenie

mklotz said:
That was a relatively easy job with the miniature grinding table I built for my Dremel.

Could you tell us more about this? My Dremel-clones are looking for additional work.

Best regards,

Kludge

Back