Lubricant

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
When my next package of material and tools arrive from the shops I'm finally going to have a go at making an oscillating cylinder and piston to replace a missing set of an old steam engine I'm restoring.
I plan to drill and them machine ream the cylinder out and I'm assuming for reaming some lubricant will be in order.

The cylinder will be brass.
I went and visited my a local shop I knew that sold cutting and lubricating fluid but the stuff they had they wanted $57 (Australian) for a 500ml bottle.
At that price I declined to buy any.
Can anyone recommend a good lubricant for brass that won't burn a hole in the side of my wallet?

Thanks

I'm here in the states. Now with that in mind. I have a quart of transmission fluid. I used it to ream the bore of Elmer's Wobbler engine. Worked just fine for me. The cylinder is made of bronze. I won't think it will make a difference on what material it's used.

Bernd

like Marv says, dry. and with zero rake. it'll cut and finish beautifully. for 500ml at that price, I hope it's some 200:1 super concentrate or something :eek:

I'll third that - always cut brass dry.

tel said:
I'll third that - always cut brass dry.

And again, don't use lubricant on brass.

For steel, I find that cheap de-watering fluid, similar to WD40, does a good job.

Thanks for that just wasn't sure whether I needed lubricant or not and didn't want to trash my new reamer when ever it arrives.

I've got a four year old son and I feel a bit like him, having to ask a dozen questions every time I come across something new to me. But its better to ask and get it right than just trying to muddle your way through and messing it all up.

As everyone else has already said, I machine brass dry at home.

At work it is a different story.
We use TrimSol.

I haven't found a consumer supplier for that product yet, but when
I do I'll be buying it for home use.
It works very well and the worst comment in the Material Safety Data Sheet
states that "Spilled product may cause slippery floors."

Rick

Latest posts

Back