Looking for cast iron bars

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeter

Reaction score
Most of my engines require small amounts under an inch diameter grey iron bar for rings, cylinders and other items. Until recently I've used bar from my stock. I've run out. Seems my goto supplier, McMaster Carr, isn't supplying grey iron in diameters useful to me any more, 1 inch or under. Does anyone know a source of grey iron round bars in small diameters.

You can get 1" meehanite bar in UK from several suppliers , postage should not be too much.
Dan.

Grainger has 1-1/4” for significantly less than Speedy, and free pickup if they’re close to you:

IMG_6156.jpeg

How about some old window weights?
Window weights are made from inferior "garbage" CI. Also, I believe, they age and harden. I tried machining one once, I could cut it with a cuttoff saw but could not machine it in any way. It might be possible to anneal one but am not sure

Dunno as to your location but Metal Supermarkets is a goto for small quantities of a lot of stuff.
They don't have everything and their pricing is stupidly high but what they have or decide to get for you is available in smaller quantities.
Just checked and they don't seem to handle Durabar.

Found an onlinemetals.com using a search of durabar + for sale .
There may be others.

(the online metals website lists a minimum of 1.5" dia - - - i'd bet that the demand for smaller dia bars hasn't been high enough to justify stocking such - - - you could get some but that would be a mill run quantity - - - iirc that would start from some 20k# if not higher)

Dunno as to your location but Metal Supermarkets is a goto for small quantities of a lot of stuff.
They don't have everything and their pricing is stupidly high but what they have or decide to get for you is available in smaller quantities.
Just checked and they don't seem to handle Durabar.

Found an onlinemetals.com using a search of durabar + for sale .
There may be others.

(the online metals website lists a minimum of 1.5" dia - - - i'd bet that the demand for smaller dia bars hasn't been high enough to justify stocking such - - - you could get some but that would be a mill run quantity - - - iirc that would start from some 20k# if not higher)
If you need cast iron/ductile iron, the one of best places in the Greater Toronto Area is Terra Nova Steel in Milton, they aren't as quick as Metal Supermarkets but they are major distributors of the material as well as bronzes and will cut to length and ship. BTW, McKinnon Metals in Woodbridge do the same services and is typically less expensive than Metal Supermarkets, too.

One of the biggest problems you'll run into if you're not in a seriously major urban area, or right close to it, is the ability to find much of anything less than a tiny list of things. Because you are not in said area you will also find your pricing reflecting this - - - often to the point of amusement (imo anyway! Pricing so high its just gotta be a bloody joke!).

Most of my engines require small amounts under an inch diameter grey iron bar for rings, cylinders and other items. Until recently I've used bar from my stock. I've run out. Seems my goto supplier, McMaster Carr, isn't supplying grey iron in diameters useful to me any more, 1 inch or under. Does anyone know a source of grey iron round bars in small diameters.
Try on line metals .

I once made a small steam engine cylinder from a piece of cast iron sash weight. It took a few attempts before I found enough material of the right size without blow holes or other defects. It turned out OK but was very time consuming and I wouldn't do it again.

Regards

B

Since no one else has mentioned it yet...

If you don't need a long length, you can try using black cast iron threaded pipe fittings. If you are lucky, you may have a long-established plumbing-supply business or hardware store near you where you can find old stock from decades ago.

Someone posted about cutting up small anvils from Harbor Freight and other similar stores.

Others have suggested barbell weights and dumbbells.

I know this doesn't provide nice 1-in. diameter bars, but if nothing else is available in your area at your price this might help.

--ShopShoe

Back