Lathe which one to buy??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, what is your price constraint & size limit ?

Paul

Jeff,
The compound clamp on my 10x22 is thicker and heavier than the one that came with my 9x20. The 10x22 is heavier than the 9x20 by 150+ lb and a lot of that is in the lathe bed. The motor on my 10x22 is very quiet - on my 9x20 quite noisy (from the day I got it almost 4 years ago). All that said, the 9x20 is a nice lathe for its intended purpose. I still use mine. I made a piston and piston rod for my current build on it today and I'm very pleased with the result. This is probably the most demanding work that i do on the lathe.

I have no doubt you'd be satisfied with the 9x20. It's just that the 10x22 is really a bargain for only about $100 more (last I checked). If you can manage the size go for it. And here's where the $100 is a wash - the 4 jaw that came with my 9x20 is a very bad doorstop. The one that came with my 10x22 I use all the time and it's very capable.

Cheers,
Phil

Jeff. I also have the 10x22. No issue with chucks,standard thread.Like another post mentioned this lathe comes with a 3 jaw , 4 jaw independent and a faceplate. The 3 jaw is on the spindle when you receive it. I tried to remove it and had problems. Finally I put a heat gun on the back plate for a minute or so and the chuck easily spun off. I imagine the chuck was spun on hard at the factory. I have found out since that a number of people had the same problem.
I have been using my lathe since mid December, no problems at all.This lathe is accurate and has plenty of power for its size.
I also bought the Quick Change tool post, I recommend this too.

mike

If you've got the space and bench, I'd go for the 10x22. The 1" spindle through-hole is very handy. IIRC there's one bit of goofiness-- won't thread to the right or something? I may be thinking of the 9x19.

It will be the 10x22. Who's Quick change tool post did you use?

Go big!...

You can do little work with a big lathe but not big work with a little lathe.

Mass is king in machine tools.

A 10-22 is a good way to go.

If you measure the distance from the compound to the center, that will help chose a tool post

I am partial to the Aloris style , specifically the wedge systems. They repeat better and are more ridgid than the piston type, but it might not matter.

I think an AXA post would fit, but I would check the dimension I mentioned first before I made a choice.

My AXA wedge of Asian origin can hold up to 2HP cuts on my Logan, so I think the 10" Grizz should be fine with it.

Best of luck and happy machining!

Dave

And one other thing..

It is worth while and I consider important that the lathe be able to turn the same thread as the spindle nose. That way you can make back plates and spindle tooling when required and not be at the mercy of someone else.....

...Just my opinion....worth what you paid for it.

Dave

Dave is correct, the AXA QCTP will fit nicely on the 10x22. You'll need to machine the base for the "T" slot in the compound. But I did hear a rumor that the new 10x22's do not have a "T" slot. If it matters to you be sure to check. I like the QCTP - don't know how I did without one for so long.

Cheers,
Phil

A t slotted cross slide is a nice luxury!.....Great for line boring!

Liking that 10-22

Dave

Jeff02 said:
Look at this picture and the one above, should be of the same lathe but the one above has two lead screws and this one has only one, whats up with that?

g0602_det1.jpg

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

Jeff,
That's not a lead screw at the bottom of my lathe. It's for the DRO
IMG_0071.jpg

Tony

Jeff02...

From everything I've read that 10x22 is hands down a better machine than any of the 9x machines. If you want a good comparison on those 9x machines join the yahoo group for them. They have a file that details the differences.

As to that G1006 mill...

I am looking at mill/drill machines right now. That 1006 looks nice, and Grizzly has awesome customer service. However, the m/d sold by H-F is almost the same exact machine and is $899. Take 20% off with a coupon out of any machine mag and you're at $720.... Lot's of tooling can be had for the $500+ price difference.

Also, others mentioned stability. Look at the weight differences. The 9x20 is less than 300#. The 10x22 is over 450#

Stability good.

Latest posts

Back