Lathe which one to buy??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be partial to the Grizzly because I own the G0516. However they all look like a great lathe for the cost and what they come with. I have had zero problems with my Grizzly lathe other than they do not sell a collet chuck that fits the G0516 and have not found one that would fit the lathe. I was told by LMS that it is an awkward mounting style. :(

But, the guys on this forum have been metalworking a LOT longer than I have and may have a better answer than "I own a Grizzly". Good luck choosing a lathe...it's very exiting when it finally arrives at your door step!

Chris

Would the “ Spindle Thread “ be a concern?

GRIZZLY 39mx4m
JET 1-1/2 - 8

cobra428 said:
Jeff02,
Here's more to think about. Looks very similar and probably made by the same China Co.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45861
Take the accessories into consideration. This only comes with a 3 jaw and some centers

I have the Grizzy 10x22 and love it!

Tony

Man that’s a BIG price difference, would it be worth it? Or would it be better to go with some one who has a Reputable Customer service?

Jeff02 said:
Man that’s a BIG price difference, would it be worth it? Or would it be better to go with some one who has a Reputable Customer service?

I think you may have answered your own question here with the second sentence.

Bernd

Jeff02 said:
Would the “ Spindle Thread “ be a concern?

GRIZZLY 39mx4m
JET 1-1/2 - 8

When I added (this year) a four jaw chuck the backing plate became an issue.

LMS carries top quality, easy to machine ones in both metric and American threads.

Take a look at the 'feed rates' on all three models. Just something I feel is worth considering.
EDIT: I took another look at the Grizz site. They have a parts and price list conveniently linked. Parts seem to be easy to order and reasonably priced. The machine price is more reasonable, and includes the cost of shipping too.

Just my obsevations.

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
When I added (this year) a four jaw chuck the backing plate became an issue.

LMS carries top quality, easy to machine ones in both metric and American threads.

Take a look at the 'feed rates' on all three models. Just something I feel is worth considering.

-MB

Please pardon my ignorance, but can you explain the following feed rates.
Thanks for your Help!

GRIZZLY .0023 .013
JET .0006 .037
ENCO .005 .011

That's the distance the carriage moves with auto feed engaged per each revolution of the spindle/chuck, using the gear box lever (1 to 9 position). There are 9 feed rates available in the advertised range.

The Jet specs seem way to low and high. The Enco/Grizz specs are correct.

I converted my Enco to the Grizz specs by buying two extra gears from them.

-MB

Wow what was I thinking, Thanks for opining my eyes. :bow:

Jeff,
FWIW I own the Griz 9x20 and the 10x22. For a little over $100 the 10x22 lathe offers a much more rigid lathe. I use both lathes and am pleased with them but you really need to improve the compound clamp on the 9x20 (which I did) to improve rigidity. The 10x22 is good out of the box.

Good luck in your decision. A new lathe is fun.

Cheers,
Phil

Phil, thanks for the for what it worth. Did you have any issues finding chucks for the 10x22; I had though at one time of buying this lathe and was told it might be hard to find chucks due to the head size and threads.

Again thanks for your impute.

Jeff02,
Look at the Manuel for the 10x22. If I remember correctly 1-3/4- 8. It comes with face plate 3 and 4 jaw. I'm looking for a collet arrangement for it.....that's the thing.

Tony

Tony's right - thread on the spindle is 1 3/4 x 8. Backplates for chucks are available from Griz and Wholesale Tool. I haven't been looking for anything else.

Cheers,
Phil

Philjoe5 said:
Jeff,
FWIW I own the Griz 9x20 and the 10x22. For a little over $100 the 10x22 lathe offers a much more rigid lathe. I use both lathes and am pleased with them but you really need to improve the compound clamp on the 9x20 (which I did) to improve rigidity. The 10x22 is good out of the box.

Good luck in your decision. A new lathe is fun.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil. I've been looking at the 10x22 and have a few questions. How is it more rigid? It seems my earlier research indicated the base and clamp ring on both are identical parts? Since you have both, the check should be east.

Also, the feed appears to be via the half nuts, a lever missing on the 10x22 to engage the feed seems to indicate that . Also the lack of a quick change gear box has me a bit troubled. Variable speed motor vs gears?

Give me your take on all of this. Thanks.

-MB

-MB
The carrage question I can't answer. The dials at the lower left of the machine change gears. 3 positions each and any combo will work. It will cut most common threads right from there. After that it's time to change other gears. Half nut and there is a lever to engage.....disengage.

IMG_0071.jpg

Tony

Latest posts

Back