DRO scales

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my shop improvement plans is the dream of a 3-axis DRO installed on my mill (Grizzly G0463 / X-3.) I tried one of the inexpensive iGaging units a few years ago and was disappointed that it often acted erratically, like the readout jumping hundreds of units with no rhyme or reason. It also ate batteries, sometimes needing them every day.

My shop is not climate controlled, being in a detached garage. In only moderately cold weather, I can use electric heaters to be more comfortable, but most times in the winter there is no heat. In the summer I suffer with the heat and humidity, although I have an exhaust fan and soffit vents to lower temperature on the worst days.

The building is fairly well sealed with weatherstrip and plastic film “ceiling” isolating the “attic” area (where the vents and fan work.) The bad thing is I do a lot of hobby things, including occasional woodworking and other “air polluting” activities.

Reading the information on the DRO PROs website, I find the discussion about glass versus magnetic scales and wonder if the glass scales would be a poor choice in my situation. But, there’s always the budget to worry about.

My main question is whether I could use the glass scales, but make sure that the scales or the whole machine is well covered whenever some of these “dirtier” activities are under way.

My usual housekeeping is to clean the mill after use, oil the lubrication points regularly, then spray it down with WD-40 if I won’t be using it for several days or if it’s supposed to be humid. After over five years, I have no rust or corrosion to speak of. If I see the possibility of sawdust in the air coming up, I wipe off the WD-40, then vacuum and wipe down everything before re-treating at the end of the session. I have covered it with an old bedsheet once in a while, but use plastic covering sparingly, as I am afraid of trapping more moisture inside the cover. I wonder whether I could make a “breathable” dust cover from certain fabrics or buy something like ENCO sells.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=327-5924&PMPXNO=22539254&PARTPG=INLMK3

So, Buy unit with glass scales if it looks like the savings will allow soon, or continue saving to get unit with magnetic scales?

Thank You,

—ShopShoe

Hi

I have a SX3 mill that I fitted one of Grizzly's lower cost DROs to ($800). I have been using the system for three years now without any problems. I have a combo shop, woodworking and metalworking. I paint as well and do other dirty things like welding. I do a half ass job of cleaning my machines daily and a good clean several times a year. The protective covers that came with the DROs do a very good job of keeping the scales clean.

Mark T

SS,

I have at present 7 glass scales fitted to my machines with another two to be fitted soon.
About four years ago I had a massive roof failure in my shop and everywhere got very damp and wet, that was eventually fixed with a tarp covering the whole roof, but rust had set in on most of my newish machines once things had dried out.
Luckily a couple of friends jumped in and helped me out and derusted everything, and all is again like new.
During this time, and since, not one single missed beat from any of my glass scales, but I did make sure they were all well sealed when I fitted them (and swapped over the cable entry ends on a couple and shortened one). So I would have no qualms about recommending them.
Magnetic heads are now being recognised as a good replacement for glass scales, but do cost a fair bit more if you want the better resolution versions, but from general feedback, they do seem to stand up well to not being compromised by swarf and liquids, which even quality glass scales can suffer from if not sealed or protected with good quality covers.

Take your time with the installation, seal things logically and well, and they should last for years. Only very tiny smears of silicone gasket sealant will be perfectly adequate.

John

PS. Keep WD40 well away from any electronics or silicone joints, it very easily destroys both.

I have glass scales on two milling machines. Both run flood coolant. One set is thedrostore and the other is 25+ year old Sony. Neither gave ever missed a beat. The Sony scales were filthy when I purchased my Deckel FP2. No issues and amazing accuracy.

Hi,
Has anyone tried these? They seem very cheap.
Alan C.

HAFCOdro.JPG

I have similar aluminium scales /i bought 2 pcs /
but on both scales displayed information is blindly jumping
every 20 second even machine is not in use.

I got those "cheapies". Pretty much junk. I now have the I Gaging ones and am happy with them for the price. I've been a machinist for over 30 years and they work just fine for me. One advantage is you can cut the scales to length . Hard to beat them at the price. Haven't had a problem with battery life but Horrible Freight sells the batteries @ 4 for $2.79 so who cares?

I must be lucky. I have two of these units. One on the lathe, one on the mill. Both work like a dream. No trouble at all. They will play up if the battery gets flat or moisture enters the battery compartment causing oxidised terminals.

i installed the accu-remote stainless steel ones on the xy on my mill and work perfect so far. about 3 months.

Latest posts

Back