Space driven decision 3 in 1 Lathe Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you are on an actual submarine, don't get a 3 in 1. If you can't get separate machines than perhaps a different hobby is in order

Unless you are on an actual submarine, don't get a 3 in 1. If you can't get separate machines than perhaps a different hobby is in order

A bit harsh. Since I seem to be the only one here that owns a 3-in-1 machine, I'll give my opinion.

I've got a Busy Bee Tools B2229, which is the same thing as the Grizzly G9729; one for Canadian market and one for the US. I've had it for about 8 years now and really like it. Now it won't hog off .25" in a single milling pass, but it is as precise as the operator is. I've added a DRO kit (DRO Pros) on it and it is fantastic with that. I've made tiny parts and I've made large parts. Yes, sometimes setup does take a bit of time but is a couple minutes really significant for an hour of work?

I would not talk anyone out of getting one. Are separate machines better? No doubt. But that doesn't mean a 3-in-1 is garbage.

Small parts or large parts (how many machines this size can swing a 16" wheel?).

101_1764.jpg

20140330_124419 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

Thanks Carbuilder, very valuable point of view. Even if I have decided to go for separate machines, I still think there is a very practical use outside of submarines.

Sorry. Wrong thread.

Last edited:
I have SEig C6 and X2 mill. Couldn't be happier.

Rick

I would go with a decent lathe and buy an XY axis vice for the drill and like the others say replace it with a small mill later. A good used lathe would save you money. Remember the biggest issue with all machine tools is moving the things!

Latest posts

Back