Lathe tool identification

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaurenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry I am not a regular poster but I do visit the site a lot.

My father recently passed away and I have the job of clearing out his work shop and sending all the tools (including a Tom Senior Mill) our here to NZ!

I was working through the tooling the other day for the Myford lathe and came across this device which has been puzzling me ever since I found it.

The long handle looking thing with the hole in the top actually moves the barrel in and out so as that adjustable point can sit into the knurled barrel on the top, which incidentally can rotate to three different positions with varying hole depth.

I am hoping someone can identify it, it seems to have a mount that fits perfectly in a QCTP holder.

I will also post some photo's of his workshop as a small tribute to him, he was the most organized OCD person I knew.. He did some small engine work but his main hobby was his old motorbikes, including a 1938 Speed Twin he had just completed.

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5861.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

IMG_5863.JPG

That mounts in the tool post and is used for engraving the lines in dials. The length stops allow the different length of lines used to be the proper length. Look at a machine dial and you'll get it immediately.

Pete

Ahhhhh! I get it now!

well bugger me, I even had a look on the Hemingway site and hadn't spotted it! that's brilliant ha! I hadn't realised that the bar in the end of the tool was a cutter so that threw me as well.

thanks guys this has been bugging me for a month!

Thanks for the exact ID, Norm. Lazy me didn't look far trying to find it!

slaurenson, darn near went blind when the light went on, eh? I hate it when that happens..:eek:

That's one tool I've had on my list to make for, oh, about too many years. Heh heh.... some day....:rolleyes:

Have fun,

Pete

hahaha I know, the old bulb was pretty bright! when I saw the "in use" link on the Hemingway site it all fell into place for me!

I will post a few more photo's of Dad's workshop for you to see, I think everyone will appreciate the shed he had.

When I took delivery of my smaller Myford- the little ML10, it came with the Potts milling spindle, the original Cleeve swing tool -all from Hemingway. They complemented my small dividing hr ead and staking tool which were Hemingwaykits

I have the castings for the Gibraltar tool post and the screwcutting version of the Cleeve swing tool. Both in the to do section.

Actually, I think that your Dad's scriber will actually do a bit of slotting too.
Mine- from the ML10 is even simpler.

I'll enjoy seeing your Dad's stuff. I got an invite to a 'do' in Rotarua and then to the south of North island in what has been described as a magical mystery tour.

I'm spending my children's inheritance- with their permission:hDe:

Hi Goldstar,

i have attached a few photos of Dad's workshop and a picture of him and his bike, he had just finished it (20 year project) before passing away.

He collected Golden Virginia tobacco tins over the years, I think he had somewhere in the region of 1200 of them, all fitted into individual slots with everything nut and bolt you could imagine, including a number of which he made himself. The old 1938 Triumph was built using all his own home made nuts and bolts out of stainless.

everything had a place and I don't believe there wasn't a tool he didn't have!
The lathe is a super 7 with power cross feed and also a 3 phase motor (with convertor) which is lovely to use.

When do you do your Rotorua trip? good on you for spending the inheritance, I used to tell my parents to go on a Ski-ing holiday as well (Spending Kids Inheritance)

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_5563.JPG

IMG_5565.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5597.JPG

Dad and bike.JPG

IMG_5596.JPG

His workshop and bike are a credit to him ,I could do with taking a few leafs out of his book.
Vince

Amongst my 'odd interests', I was curious to have a look at Christchurch where there is a Antarctic Auster 7 in the RNZ Air Force Museum. Few that still exist but 'it ain't mine' as the RAF Antarctic Flight was sort of looked after by RAF 31 Squadron at Hendon.
Ah, well? So in June a gang of us went from Newcastle upon Tyne to Hong Kong and then onto Fiji. Now I have an invite to go to the Tercentary Celebrations of the joint NZ Freemasons in November at Rotarua- and thence on a 'magical mystery tour' of the south of the North Island. Whatever that means!

Cheers

Norm

Hello Norm,
Auster Mk3, 4 and 5 are fairly common out here in Australia but never heard of an Auster 7. Could you please give me some quick details of this plane.
Norm

The story was published in Star News, the journal of RAF31( Goldstars) Association of which I am a life member. I sort of knocked up the story as a Christmas yarn. Today, the story is inevitably longer because 'some' of the papers have ended up at the Polar Institute in Cambridge, England and people who were never part seem to have got into the act and things like the Larsen iceshelf have emerged but the true story of two little yellow planes that were put onto a mere 600 ton prize of war German tug will probably never be told.
Somewhere somehow there is the earlier story of murdering Nazis in ice caves in Antarctica. Whatever it really was is shrouded in mystery. If there was murder, I knew the guy who was a Norwegian sealer but he was also a pilot and in his previous existence had tried to rescue an Italian airship in the Arctic. Somewhere, there is the story of 'Heavy Water' and somewhere else is British code books and I had two blokes as my staff and there was a Schneider Trophy guy who altered the records- which I wrote.

So, my friend, where does one start. Probably there were only a handful of Auster7's. 'Mine' or the ones that I was involved in probably got as far as CapeTown. on the way back- from Queen Maudland .

I simply thought that the one at Auckland might be the one!

Cheers

Norm

lovely piece of tooling , and very nicely made .

I assume the holding block and the lever have a slot milled in , allowing the lever
move the ram hence and forth ?
I like the idea of the knob stroke adjuster . Simple and effective .
It's on my to do list to build one someday .

Pat

Oddly, I have the drawings for the 'improved' version of the Radford tool which was further 'improved'
In essence, the thing not only turns correctly for 'hundreds, tens and units' and for correct lengths of strokes- but does it all AUTOMATICALLY.

I must get my act together as the originator claimed to have graduated ALL the door nobs in his house.

I cannot think that Arduino would be comparable

BaronJ and I contributed about it a couple of years back

Latest posts

Back