Kerzel a'la Tel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tel---I haven't seen you mention it, but how is the compression? Are your valves sealing okay?---God, I hope they are!!!!----Brian

There's compression there Brian, the piston bounces back from it about a third of the way into the compression stroke with a light flick of the flywheel. I still have to fiddle with the spring on the inlet valve tho' - sans spring the valve sucks in perfectly, with spring it barely flickers, so a coil or two off the spring, methinks. The valves bedded down without any real problems, but, in the event, I couldn't find my closely guarded old double tin of compound, was stuck with using the fine end of a new tin of 'Pep' - worked that down until all trace of grittiness had disappeared then finished up with Brasso.

Did some experimenting yesterday and all indications are that the microswitch will work, and it doesn't look too badly out of place on the engine, so I'll go with that for the time being.

tel said:
There's compression there Brian, the piston bounces back from it about a third of the way into the compression stroke with a light flick of the flywheel. I still have to fiddle with the spring on the inlet valve tho' - sans spring the valve sucks in perfectly, with spring it barely flickers, so a coil or two off the spring, methinks. The valves bedded down without any real problems, but, in the event, I couldn't find my closely guarded old double tin of compound, was stuck with using the fine end of a new tin of 'Pep' - worked that down until all trace of grittiness had disappeared then finished up with Brasso.

All I can say is---You must have led a cleaner life than me!!!!---Or something!!! ;D ;D ;D

;D The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, mate, and we ain't et yet!

Tel, the microswitch will work for a while, but most likely will fail before long if you're just using a standard coil and condenser system. The contacts in those microswitches aren't designed to handle the current and voltage spikes that occur in this kind of ignition circuit.

But, the engine does look very nice. Let's hope it starts right up for you!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, the microswitch is really just a temporary measure until I can get some suitable materials to make proper points, AND I have a jar full of 'em, if it fails fairly quickly.

Meanwhile, a start on the fuel tank.

And a little flight of fancy, one of those little details that, IMHO, make a model.

Hi Tel
you must be getting close now?
looking forward to the event !!

:( 'Best laid plans and so forth' dept.

As much as I liked the tank tucked in under the head like that, it suddenly dawned that it will be trying to occupy the same space as the muffler, so it has to move - probably to somewhere like this for the time being.

A very nice no nonsense build there Tel, I am sure you will have no problems getting it to run.

With regards to what Chuck says about microswitches.

If they are not abused (say too much movement on the button) they should give between 2 & 3 million operations before falling apart.

So if the engine runs at 2k, half that for a 4 stroke, at the lower limit of 2 million operations, that should give you 2000 minutes (just over 33 hours) of continuous operation before it needs replacing, that is of course if Chuck's burnt away points don't getchya first.

So to my mind, more than enough to be getting on with.

Best of luck with it.

Bogs

Its a great build Tel. I have to have a good look at that engine

Thanks blokes, I'm pretty pleased with it so far. And yes Bogs, I like my engines to have a plain, workaday sort of look to 'em - just a matter of taste I guess

I like it with the tank away too.
It's an interesting item and should be seen.

Tel, I've always admired your work. Always utilitarian looking as well as functional. That tank filler neck is a fine example of what I am talking about. I like it! Thm: I have been pondering (that is armchair engineering daydreaming) about incorporating the fuel tank inside the mounting plinth as in some full sized engines, but alas, it is just something else to hope to do. Man I can't wait to hear this one fire off, it's getting so close. I'm really going to be watching when you go to make your own set of points (to plan?).

regards
BC1
Jim

zeeprogrammer said:
I like it with the tank away too.
It's an interesting item and should be seen.
I agree I like that tank it is a really nice looking piece no matter where you place it.

Blocks bolted to the base board and tank strapped down.

A little oopsy when locating the second end of the second strap, but I can live with that.

Tel--I am passing the Kerzel torch to you. I have done everything I can think of to mine, and I'm about 95% happy with the way the build turned out. From the looks of things, you will be ready to start yours soon, and I am REALLY looking foreward to a video.---Brian

Latest posts

Back