Kerzel a'la Tel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quote: 4. Wasn't real happy with the original oiler I did, with the plastic 'glass', so got hold of some of these 2ml perfume sample bottles...

I'll bet all the blokes down at Gunny's were just thrilled when you came in after that :big:

Looking good Tel' old buddy, when will we see it running? and I do hope you haven't had to go through all that crappy weather that we keep hearing about on the news.

BC1
Jim

I'll bet all the blokes down at Gunny's were just thrilled when you came in after that

Rof} Rof}

Thanks blokes.

Those decals are probably not the finished product, I'd like to come up with something a little more 'Olde Worlde', but I was keen to have a play with the inkjet paper. ;D

Only just caught up with this one mate, great stuff :bow: (even if there's no steam involved :big:)

Rof} Yeah, I've gone over to the DARK SIDE!

There are a few of us over here Tel. So far, it's too dark to tell what the heck we are doing! Well, maybe for me. May I suggest Trout Green for a color?

I see this is also a capacitor and inductor instruction thread. :)

Trout's explanation, feel free to not read. :big:

The capacitor helps to protect the points by limiting voltage across the contacts, so the contacts themselves won't spark. It also forms a bit of a resonant circuit with the coil, and that way enhances the spark.

The coil is charged when the points close. The actual spark is generated when the breaker contacts open. The abrupt change in current will cause a very large voltage to be produced. This produces a very short, very high voltage spike. Of course, the change in current is on the primary side, but because the primary and secondary coils have a large mutual inductance you get a spike on the order of 100 or more volts on the primary, and 10000 volts on the secondary.

It's as simple as that. Or is it....

scratch.gif

Trout green eh? With a red lateral line?

Rainbow Trout.jpg

Ooo - there's a nice trout to squeeze, right there, my friend! Who's squeezing that one? Z'at you?

Turns out, that is about the right shade of green judging from MB's paint job and that would be a "hell yah" on the red stripe.

Well, its been a while, but finally a little more to report. Those who have been following Pete's Kerzel build will know I started the regulator arm yesterday - and made a hash of it! Took some remedial action this morning, silver soldered a lump on to the cylinder end and re-shaped it. Doesn't bear much resemblance to the arm as drawn, but it's the shape it needs to be. Still needs a little refining.

Well, that's just about all of it I think, apart from the ignition, which is still hanging me up.

Hi Tel
that lock out looks like its strong enougth :)
mine seems a little flimsy in retrospect
I notice on yours you have gone for a different angle on the lever to the cam follower.
I presume to make the disengage easy?
Im worried now my lever will like it too much in the engaged position to let the springs pull it out
Pete

Yeah Pete, I've left a little wriggle room for reshaping, but the idea was to minimise friction there. Didn't matter what I did, the arm made to the drawing went nowhere near fitting properly, hence the change. I can whittle it down a bit more once I see what's what.

Tel, ol' buddy, I'm glad to see you back in the saddle again on this build after a short hiatus. That pesky lockout arm or "Kerzel lever" as Brian tagged it seems to be a real bearcat to get the angles cut suitably on. I'm watching both you and Pete in your efforts to get another set of these engines made and in doing so will be able to have witnessed all of the snafus that occurred along the road or at least get a pretty good idea of what/how to do something in order to avoid trouble. Well done.

BC1
Jim

Kerzels drawing only bears a slight resemblance to what is actually needed there. I messed with that damn thing for a week and remade it twice, then cut the end of it before I could get it to work right.---Brian

You got that right Brian, although looking at the angle mine is sitting on I think I'll have to refine the shape a bit, which will mean making another one. Ah well, it's only metal!

Tel---What ever happened to your Kerzel build. I've been waiting months now for you two guys from down under to have running engines. Pete has a runner, although he didn't show much of it before embarking on another project, but I want to know what happened to yours. You were very, very close the last few times you posted.----Brian

Hi Tel,
I'm enjoying watching you build the Kerzel, seems like a popular engine to build. I haven't built one but I have built other hit-miss engines. One of the things I like to do is put a 5 degree angle on the lockout arm and a matching angle on the latch that it acts upon.
I got this from working with firearms, The trigger and sear of a firearm have a 5 degree angle on them to keep them seated to each other under spring pressure. This helps keep the trigger in place when a firearm is dropped or jarred. I have built my engines with this in mind, The angle on the latch will keep the lockout arm seated into the latch with spring pressure from the exhaust valve spring. When the governor tries to unlatch the lockout arm from the latch it will only do so if the lockout arm moves completely away from the latch. If it only moves a little bit and not enough to unlatch the valve spring pressure will reseat the lockout arm completely. This seems to give a more positive unlatching when needed. My engines will normally only fire one time before the governor holds the exhaust valve open. This is something I have incorporated into my engine designs and it has always worked well for me. Dave

;D I have been quiet, haven't I! Truth is in recent weeks I haven't had much of a chance to think about it, let alone do anything. Heavy frosts, short days, a busy lambing season (100+ of the little buggers so far and probably as many to come) and the annual spend-every-spare-minute-getting-firewood ritual have pretty much conspired to keep me out of the workshop, and when I do get in there it's usually to do something for somebody else!

I will get there, and I am determined not to start another engine until that one runs. Pete has had success with his, and has posted several vids of it going, and is now powering on through his next build - kind of makes me feel old and doddery.

Yeah Dave, you will enjoy the build when you get to it - I most certainly did! Like you, I have put a little angle on the arm/latch - again a'la the angle on a sear, which tends to make the pieces ride into engagement rather than out of it.

Watch this space - the fat lady ain't sung yet!

Howdy Tel ole mate, wondering where you are up to with this? You should be nearly finished chopping firewood (although thats not so certain considering the area you live).

Work and other issues have conspired to make me take a break from destroying metal (and I've taken on another project which doesnt require much machine shop time) but i did run up some parts on the mill the other day....

I thinks its quite acceptable to haev several projects on the go at one time, allows the mind to 'exercise' some.....

Cheers mate.

Yo Artie - no progress at all I fear - it's been a long, hard winter and I've done nothing in the workshop at all for some time - hopefully things will start to warm up soon and I can get back to that and arf a dozen other outstanding projects!

Latest posts

Back