Casting fun

Help Support HMEM:

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Kitchen metallury: It is like making coffee pots out of sugar, it works for some time. The coffee will be sweet and eventually it creates a mess. :) That is why most people do not use sugar for making coffee mugs.
Okay, now I REALLY WANT to make a coffee mug out of sugar! :)

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like a plan. Hmm ... do I need to clear the PLA out of my 3d printer first, or ... ?

CFLBob

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
There's a handful of videos on YouTube about chocolate printers, but I don't see any printing sugar like that.

Other than the high coefficient of neatness, I can't see why I'd want to do it... but I want to do it.

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
There's a handful of videos on YouTube about chocolate printers, but I don't see any printing sugar like that.

Other than the high coefficient of neatness, I can't see why I'd want to do it... but I want to do it.
Me too! I can't think of any good reason I need it, but I still want to do it.

CFLBob

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
even printed sand moulds are possible now ....
Now that's genuinely useful, but it looks like a big, ferociously expensive machine for a hobby machinist. I really can't see being able to do that at home anytime in the next 20 years. That makes it less interesting.

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting indeed! I agree, Bob, that it is likely extremely expensive. But ... it might be possible for a hobbyist to make such a machine ... surely no harder than making an 18 cylinder radial. (In other words, easy-peasy, right?? :))

Here's how I'm guessing it works (similar to how some laser-sintering metal printing works): The build volume is a tub with a movable bottom. The bottom is positioned to allow just enough room for one layer of sand, and sand is spread over the tub. Resin - maybe UV activated? - is essentially ink-jet-printed on the layer, binding the desired bits of sand to each other and to the previous layer. The bottom moves down a tiny amount, making room for the next layer, and then the process repeats.

One advantage of this approach is that parts can be printed "in space," since all of the sand is left in the tub, whether bonded or not, so it can support parts and features without concern for overhang.

There would be some tricky issues to resolve - how to move the bottom of the tub down without binding up with grains of loose sand, how to get an even layer of sand spread, how to make sure enough resin is used to bond to the previous layer without either spreading out and causing artifacts, or building up too much to allow gas to release through the sand ... challenging engineering problems, but clearly doable, since they've done it!

Mind you, I don't have any plans to take on a project of this scope. I'm still trying to find time to get back out to the garage to finish my half-finished Tower engine. I'm just hoping one of you is inspired to give it a go ... :)

stragenmitsuko

Reaction score
Just imagine having such a , even a tiny one , machine at home .
No more moulding , no more pattern draft , forget about core making , no more gates and feeders and risers ....
oh wel , keep on dreaming .... and I'm already very happy with the 3d printed patterns anyway .

Barnbikes

Reaction score
Okay, now I REALLY WANT to make a coffee mug out of sugar! :)
Sounds like a over sized complicated cotton candy machine in the making here.
Honestly I do not think it would be that hard. Pressurized pot set at the right temperature with a tiny nozzle. Replace the Dremel on your homemade cnc machine with the pot.

Latest posts