Kerzel a'la Tel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
I haven't posted much on this build, as I didn't want to intrude too much on Brian's excellent coverage of his build, but as Brian's version enters its final few struggles to completion I thought I might just give a few progress shots now & then.

The last couple of wet days has finally allowed me to get a little bit of progress in - it now sports a crankshaft, oilers on the mains and the cylinder liner. Very pleased with the crakshaft - went down the Loctite/pins road with this one and it seems to have come out very well indeed. Stuck with CI for the liner - I don't think a tiny bit of rust in the hopper will bother me, if anything it will help seal any little leaks if my Loctite bond is less than perfect.

Hi Tel
will be following along as the hit n miss engines are among my favorite (today at least :)
looking great so far
cheers Pete

Looks really good Tel.---Looks really familiar!!!! At the rate I'm going with my valve sealing issues, you may be running before I am.----Brian

Looking good Tel! Keep it coming.

I'm glad to see a mini-boom in the building of hit & miss engines lately, it will help me as I progress with mine (back burner temporarily).

Did you make the gears Tel?

That's a nice start, I like the oil cups.

Thanks blokes, it's coming along slowly but surely.

Yeah Dennis - I cut those gears from CI. Kerzel's drawings give details of the gears in 32DP and 48DP - I have cutters for neither, but I do have 40DP cutters, which luckily fall half way between his, allowing me to do a set at 25/50 with the same outside dimensions as his 20/40 and 30/60 ones.

That looks the ticket! Did you cut those on the shaper or the mill? Thats a skill I really want to tackle soon..... Well done bloke... looking forward to seeing it running in your collection of goodies...

stoopid me.. you had the 40dp cutter... must have been the mill..... :p

Hi Tel
looking great so far

Both flywheels are milled out now, and the cosmetic work well undedr way but I needed a break from eating all that cast iron dust, so yesterday I had a play with making a couple of sparkplugs - something I've never done before.

This morning I was able to scab the coil out of an old Briggs motor and set up a test rig - happy happy joy joy! Both plugs produce a nice fat spark. The larger plug is 5/16 x 32 tpi, more or less to Kerzel's general dimensions but it looked a bit out of proportion to me, hence the smaller one 1/4 x 40 tpi.

Hi Tel
plugs look good
have u started on the head yet?
Pete

Not yet, probably tomorrow - Mrs Tel permitting! :-[

You're way out ahead of me on your build Tel, but believe me when I say, I'm right there with you in spirit. You have my full attention. I also like your smaller version of the plug and am anxious to see it actually in the head. Are you planning to use valve cages as in Brian R's interpretation of this engine or follow what D. Kerzel spelled out in his drawings?

G'day

BC1
Jim

Coming along nicely Tel!

"eating all that cast iron dust" - at least you can skip on the spinach next time 'round ;)

Regards, Arnold

Thanks blokes - I'm really enjoying the bit of time I can put into this build - it's something of uncharted waters for me!

Are you planning to use valve cages as in Brian R's interpretation of this engine or follow what D. Kerzel spelled out in his drawings?

I'm keeping my options open Jim, but MkI head (ci) will be machined direct, a'la Kerzel - things get a bit busy in that little head and you need all the room you can get. Another reason for the smaller plug.

Uncharted waters indeed Tel. This was to be my first venture into the unknown I.C.world but things got sidetracked. However, I have been watching with great interest to see how certain aspects of this one are tackled. That head is certainly "busy", that is for sure, I have the head in mine drilled for a 1/4" plug thread but have yet to cut the threads in it. The jury is still out for me on the valve cage thing, although it may come down to using them if the original design and my skill sets don't co-operate well with each other. :big:

Regards

BC1
Jim

I wonder how long you have to be in this game before you stop doing stoopid things? Obviously 30 odd years is not long enough!

1.The embryo head.

2. And the one I didn't bugger up.

3. The problem.

4. Just for you Jim

Hey Tel, looking good. Sorry about the bugger. It's funny how we can get tunnel vision, know it doesn't feel right and only when it jumps right in our faces, do we realize.

I really like being able to see the grain of the material you have there.

Stoopid, stoopid me mate, I set up the mill and then forgot to lock the head to the colomn, dinni. All is not lost, I'll salvage that rooned one by making a flat belt drive pulley out of it.

Latest posts

Back