Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering why you did the boring on the lathe rather than the mill. Of course, if you don't have a boring head that would be the answer.

Looking Good Bob. That's shaping up to be a nice size engine
Tony

Nice 1 Bob, starting to resemble an engine now! :big:

Arnold, Dave, kvom, Tony, Nick and RR17,

Thanks guys for your kind words and support. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

kvom said:
I'm wondering why you did the boring on the lathe rather than the mill. Of course, if you don't have a boring head that would be the answer.

My main reason was I could achieve a much more accurate set up to the centre of the bore using the lathe and the equipment I have to hand. I have a boring head but it's no-where near as stable as a boring bar in the lathe and I can use power feed whereas it's by hand in the mill. After boring, transfer the face plate to the rotary table to mill the OD, hoping that, all things being equal, there was a reasonable chance, they would be concentric.

Best Regards
Bob

Coming along really swell there Bob!!

Is your lathe quite heavy? I had a set-up like that on mine and started it in high gear by mistake.

First time I ever hit the E-stop on a machine before. Thought it was going to walk right out the door.

What RPM did you run her at?

Thanks.

-Kevin.

Kevin,

Thanks for your interest and support. :bow:

My lathe is 230 kg. It started the hippy hippy shakes at 350rpm so I slowed it to 200rpm and all was OK. The finish cuts I took at 120rpm. There was no room for any counter weights.

Yep, too fast and the sphincter/clacker valve tightens up real quick.

I remember a guy who set up an angle plate to machine the seat of a 3" bronze firemain valve on a faceplate. As brass/bronze likes to be machined at higher rpm he used some change wheels as a counter weight and had it nicely balanced. On starting up at 750rpm he had forgotten to fully tighten the counter weight. Out it flew, hit the lathe bed, shattered a 15" faceplate and proceeded to chase us around the shop. Quite exciting for a few seconds before the bits came to rest. The lathe was a bit of a mess, but the bigger mess was in his undies. At least no-body was hurt. From memory he received a months stoppage of leave and pay for his effort.

Best Regards
Bob

What tony said, except out loud. ;D

Tony, Rob and Kevin,

Thanks :bow: glad you enjoyed my rambling. That's one of the fun things about being here, it jogs the memory. Whilst some of these are very funny, we are all very lucky they are not the other half of the comedy/tragedy equation.

images.jpg

Have you ever had one of those days ??? Well today was my turn.

On dismantling the face plate and rotary table, I noticed the table had developed a bit more backlash than I like. Thinks........ I'll fix it now,.......only take five minutes. On removing the handwheel, I dropped the drive key. Heard a ting as it hit the floor and that was that.
After a hour of fruitless searching, my blood pressure way exceeded most boilers test pressure, steam was coming from my ears and the air was blue. This did little to improve my eyesight and the key remains lost. After tea and a fag I decided I would make a new one.......only take five minutes......correct until you drop that one and can't find it either.

Key #3 was duly fashioned and the handwheel replaced.

Enough excitement for one day, having achieved a working RT with minimal backlash, it was time to quit whilst I was ahead.

Consolation prize.

IMG_0673.jpg

Bigger burner for my LPG torch.

Have a great weekend.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,
When I was building an engine needing some 3-48 (about 2.5 mm dia.) hex head screws I lost one under the bench. Made a replacement starting with round stock. Soon lost another. I must have made 8 or 9 over the course of two weeks. What finally worked was to make several at once. I think they got lonely and were looking for their companions in the dark corners of my shop. Of course now I have 3 or 4 left over ???
Dave

Bob,
I think that story did more for safety than a lecture on it could. People remember a joke they where told 30 years ago but can't remember what they had for lunch yesterday!
So, from now on, everytime I put something odd in a chuck or face plate, I'll think of Bob's hippy hippy shake story, have a chuckle and check everything 2, 3 times before I reach for the power switch. I hate soiling my undies :big:
Tony

Do what I do when I buy some 2-56 set screws and or the allen wrench that fits them. We are talking tiny and black, When I first get home I paint them bright pink or yellow so that when I drop one of them it is a little easier to see and find it when I am on my hands and knees under the work bench. Or if you need 2, buy six its cheap insurance that you'll never need the extra ones.

Jack

Bob, I had a morning similar to yours. I dropped the little intake valve spring. There is no "ting" sound and like any good spring, it could bounce all over the room before it settles down. Finally found it amongst the steel chips and dirt. Decided to stop and sweep the entire shop so if it happened again, it would be easier to find. Believe or not, the next 2 times I dropped it, it was easier to find.

Bob and folks, don't know if it would help in your situations or not, but I have a little flashlight that I lay on the floor and roll around to help find my many lost parts. The flashlight shining across my concrete floor causes the little parts to cast a longer shadow and helps me find at least 50% of the stuff I'm hunting. ;D

Looking good, Bob.

Rudy

Dave, Tony, Jack, PPM and Rudy,

Thanks guys for your commiserations advise and support. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

For my shop, the floor was pretty clean when I dropped key #1. I did sweep it all up and ran it through a sieve into the rubbish bin. No sign of the damn thing. Key #2 hit a, (relative term), clean floor and did the same disappearing act. Both times I used a lead light in the same manner as Rudy uses his flashlight. The Machine Shop Guru God was just having a day off or she's the Devil in Disguise. ;D

My shop floor is sheet steel over wood hence the term "TING" - more aptly "ting, plonk, plop" and from then on the silence was deafening, :eek: except for my complete repertoire of foul language, (just to see if it would help). ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Another week goes by, soon the sun will start it's journey south, hows that for a fast 6 months.

Today's effort.

Setting up the end plate to drill the bolt holes.

IMG_0672.jpg

Drilling the bolt holes.

IMG_0677.jpg

Test fit. Lucky guess with the bolt holes non needed oversizing to make things fit. :eek:

IMG_0678.jpg

Setup for silver soldering.

IMG_0679.jpg

Test Assembly after silver soldering.

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

Boy am I glad I took peoples advise and bought a bigger burner tip, as it was it was a struggle and I had to run the solder in steps.

Best Regards
Bob

Another day another dollar or a currency of your choosing. ::) Tanks got in the way today so minimal progress.

Setting up for final boring of the cylinder.

IMG_0682.jpg

Boring the cylinder.

IMG_0683.jpg

With the combined overhang of both the work and the boring bar I have been unable to stop chatter. My solution is to make a bigger boring bar which is half done. Just needs a couple of flats milled to allow clamping in the tool post. If I don't fix this I will be lapping till the cows come home.

Best Regards
Bob

:)

Hi Bob,
Are you sure the chatter is the bar?....might be the over hang?......

That cylinder is only tied to the chuck via it's base....can you pack in those flanges with a temporary filler piece and clamp it up...like on a faceplate?........just an thought......

Looking good! Thm:

Dave

Latest posts

Back