Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob,

Thanks for the kind words and support.

Well, we almost have a firm base on which to sally forth. :eek: ::)

Base piece 6 completed.

IMG_0638.jpg

The base welded together - (My angle grinder is at home for honey dos so you have to suffer a look at my welds. :eek:

IMG_0639.jpg

Squaring up after welding.

IMG_0640.jpg

Machining the bearing housing cut aways.

IMG_0641.jpg

That's All Folks.

Best Regards
Bob

That's starting to come together here. Whats the bore and stroke on her?

Dave

Hey Bob,
Looking good. Man, do you have some filing in your future!
Tony

Dave,

Thanks for your interest 1.125" bore and 1.5" stroke.

Tony,

Yes I see a fair bit of filing in my future. I will remove as much as I can with the angle grinder.

I have just read about flap discs for angle grinders. Has anybody used them and if so are they any good ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,

I use a flapper on an pencil type grinder (industrial type size) and they work OK then after for a finer Finnish you can use a fiber type (Velcro type) disk. You can rub with a fiber pad if you like but, it's more fun with a motor on it...I think.

Keep up the great work.

Regards

Philly

Bob

I use the flap wheels on my 4" & 5" grinders often. They give a much better finish than the normal wheels and don't heat the metal up as much. Well worth a try.

Rgds - Gavin

Hi Bob,before I retired I spent 6 years doing pannel repairs to old tractors being restored and I found flapper discs great.They come in a variety of grades and are good for rough removal of metal and for reasonable fine finishing.

I would recomend them to anyone that has an angle grinder and is fabrecrating in metal.

Ian(seagar)

Coffs Harbour
Australia.

Philly, Gavin and Ian,

Thanks for your responses re flapper discs. :bow: :bow: :bow: I will now go and try to buy some.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

The flapper type discs are also available in several configurations for dremel sized tools. Can be quite useful for cleaning up small stuff.

Cheers, Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the tip. I bought one for the angle grinder today and I was amazed at the speed with which it eats steel and the finish is not bad either.
wow.gif

Here's a few shots of the engine base, when it comes to bling, some dudicious use of plasti-bond to disguise my poor welding and it should look reasonable. ??? ??? ???

The Base ready for the addition of the bearing blocks which are also welded.

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

Marking out and centreing the cylinder for turning between centres.

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

And that's it from him.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

Man you work fast, can't wait till I'm semi-retired so I can get a decent go at the machines.

I was thinking of making one of these as well so I'll watch progress with great interest,

Rgds - Gavin up in the hills

Gavin and Tony,

Thanks for your continued support and interest.

Best Regards
Bob

ive been following this build , coming along very nicely .
it will look really nice when finished good luck.

best regards roadrage

RR17,

Thanks for your support and interest.

Busy doing clean up today getting ready for selling our unit.

Best Regards
Bob

Wow,

Was that a loooooong weekend. Removing and cleaning 12 years of accumulated come in handy items, (rubbish). Not to mention the valuable moving of new house items to my daughters
wow.gif
wow.gif

It was good to get back in the shop for a rest. ;D

Made some progress on the cylinder today.

Turning the cylinder between centres.

IMG_0652.jpg

Trial fit in the base.

IMG_0653.jpg

Setting the length.

IMG_0654.jpg

Ready for boring undersize before soldering on the end plates.

IMG_0655.jpg

And then home for the final clean up of the carport. Maybe the car will fit now ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

It's looking good so far, did you touch up the taper on the MT5 centre in the headstock before turning the cylinder or have you used the centre as it came from the factory?

Rgds - Gavin

Gavin,

Thanks for your continued support. :bow:

The headstock centre is as supplied. I have found that tailstock alignment with our lathe is not all that brilliant and seems to move each time its' postion is changed along the bed. When you look at the fact that it's only relying on the sides of the bed and stock it's not too surprising but can be a trap for the unwary. A clock gauge sorts it out in a couple of cuts.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you are contemplating between centre parallel turning. ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

Looking good ! I've got to learn the welding bit so I can do fabrications. An aside: is that HMAS Melbourne swimming along in your new avatar? Fine looking ship.

Cheers Joe

Joe,

Thanks for your support. :bow:

In my day Melbourne was a Majestic Class Aircraft Carrier and I was lucky enough to spend a year as flight deck engineer chucking off and catching aircraft, very interesting job but I doubt the nerves could stand it now, gets a little hairy with some of the young bold pilots and the oceans 70' down, hell of a drop at 25 knots. I think we are shaving with her now.

Then came the FFG - Melbourne. Also gone to the razor blade factory.

And the avatar is the Steel Cat, the Fighting 41, HMAS Brisbane, a DDG, built by Defoe in Bay City Michigan in 1966-67. My favourite ship of all in which I served and I had 2 stints in her. Shes been sunk as a dive site as have her sisters Hobart and Perth.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back