Help turbinitus

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline1

Reaction score
help I've got a Turbinitus relapse should I spin 'er up in my old scullery (it's indoors but plenty of air) boiler is safe 2x S.W.P. six months ago on hydro but the bearings might be a bit tight she hasn't been run for ages.
DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

will post some vid if i get an O.K.

Runs on propane BTW

Regards Mark

Yep spin er up,

Would love to see a video.

I always am intrigued while looking at this bit of gear on you'r profile picture.

I also have turbinitis, might crank up my jet engine and harass the neighbours ;)

Baz.

Hi Baz

Nice to know a fellow sufferer.

What jet have you got

I'm thinking about building a Wren 54 (if I can afford it)

my little baby can beat the living daylights out of bearings at 30,000 (and she's very well balanced )

100,000 + is pretty scary but the smell of burnt AVTUR (JETA , mostly paraffin) is one of my favorite smells

Hi Mark,

The turbine I have is one of those budget Kingtech K80-E models. I have made a couple but scared myself silly a few years back when one of them disintegrated at 80 000 rpm. The shrapnel holes in the shed are unreal. I was very lucky not to kill myself, so I thought the safest option would be to go and buy one that is designed for RC aircraft.

The kingtech runs on jet A1 fuel, yep basically highly filtered paraffin with a 5% synthetic 2 stroke oil to lube the bearings. Smells like an airport when it is running, electric start 30 000 rpm idle and 150 000 at full throttle (and one hell of a racket)
Uses a lot of fuel, approx 1/4 liter per Minute.

I have always had a fascination with any type of turbines for some reason, actually any engine in fact.

Here is one , not my one but is the same.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMOGyGRpAA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMOGyGRpAA[/ame]

Enjoy,
Baz.

Last edited:
Turbinitus relapse must be contagious, I think I've been infected or re-infected. Its -10c here atm, running up my turbine might improve the temps around here and the cure infection :D

Steve.

very impressive motors

my little steam ones only run at about 20 to 30,000 not 80,000 to 120,000 (or more) balance is critical at lunatic speeds like this

Latest posts

Back