Help turbinitus

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline1

Reaction score
help I've got a Turbinitus relapse should I spin 'er up in my old scullery (it's indoors but plenty of air) boiler is safe 2x S.W.P. six months ago on hydro but the bearings might be a bit tight she hasn't been run for ages.
DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

will post some vid if i get an O.K.

Runs on propane BTW

Regards Mark

Yep spin er up,

Would love to see a video.

I always am intrigued while looking at this bit of gear on you'r profile picture.

I also have turbinitis, might crank up my jet engine and harass the neighbours ;)

Baz.

Hi Baz

Nice to know a fellow sufferer.

What jet have you got

I'm thinking about building a Wren 54 (if I can afford it)

my little baby can beat the living daylights out of bearings at 30,000 (and she's very well balanced )

100,000 + is pretty scary but the smell of burnt AVTUR (JETA , mostly paraffin) is one of my favorite smells

Hi Mark,

The turbine I have is one of those budget Kingtech K80-E models. I have made a couple but scared myself silly a few years back when one of them disintegrated at 80 000 rpm. The shrapnel holes in the shed are unreal. I was very lucky not to kill myself, so I thought the safest option would be to go and buy one that is designed for RC aircraft.

The kingtech runs on jet A1 fuel, yep basically highly filtered paraffin with a 5% synthetic 2 stroke oil to lube the bearings. Smells like an airport when it is running, electric start 30 000 rpm idle and 150 000 at full throttle (and one hell of a racket)
Uses a lot of fuel, approx 1/4 liter per Minute.

I have always had a fascination with any type of turbines for some reason, actually any engine in fact.

Here is one , not my one but is the same.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMOGyGRpAA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMOGyGRpAA[/ame]

Enjoy,
Baz.

Last edited:
Turbinitus relapse must be contagious, I think I've been infected or re-infected. Its -10c here atm, running up my turbine might improve the temps around here and the cure infection :D

Steve.

very impressive motors

my little steam ones only run at about 20 to 30,000 not 80,000 to 120,000 (or more) balance is critical at lunatic speeds like this

Back