Hello from Portland

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDRay

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I found this site yesterday, and am excited to learn something of the craft of machining. My dad was a machinist, then a millwright before he retired, and I grew up in the house of my grandfather, a retired body and fender man who ran a bicycle shop next door. I had passing experience with all manner of tools growing up, but pursued high tech as a career. Now in my mid forties, I want to craft things.

There's a new place in Portland called ADX (http://www.adxportland.com/), "equal parts workspace and incubator", that I've joined. Among other fantastic tools there, they recently added a CNC milling machine. I'm pretty excited to learn how to use that thing. I've used mills before, but haven't done any significant projects with them. And to have digital controls for one, well... :big:

Having always had an interest in steam power, I think my first project is going to be a compressed air engine that will eventually (presuming things go well) run on steam. I've been reading about different types, and have found one that I'm really interested in. It uses a sinusoidal cam (swash plate) and dual acting pistons. Evidently the design is commonly used in automotive air conditioning compressors (http://www.toyota-industries.com/product/auto/compressor/kind01.html). My plan was to get one from the scrap yard, tear it apart, salvage the parts that I don't think I can make myself at this stage, and go from there. Along the way, I'll probably make some less complicated things, but hope to get there sooner than later.

So, howdy. Keep up the good work. You guys are very inspirational.

Cheers.

J.D.

Hi and welcome J.D.
I take it not the Portland in the UK.
Enjoy yourself and may you make many models, I like your enthusiasm.

Welcom JD!

What ever question you have...bring it over here...we'll help ;D

Dave

aka "steamer"

JD,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back