Half Scale Ford Quadricycle Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again folks...can't wait to continue working on this. I have been updating the drawings as I go. Hopefully I will have a nice clean set of prints when this is all over to share.

I ended up tapping the #5-40 mounting holes but skipped the pictures...it was not very exciting. If I broke a tap, then you would have got some pictures and a few curse words!

Finished milling the clearance slots on the Cylinders. I did change one thing against the original plans but it is very minor. I made the slot straight instead of slightly angled like the full size Quadricycle. Other than that everything looks and feels the same.

Hopefully tonight I can finish drilling and tapping the main bearing mounting holes so I can begin building the "engine". I want to fasten and clamp everything together so the Crankshaft spins freely...then I plan on soldering everything together.

The Bridgeport had no problem with these cuts. I burned through and end mill though...

Here are the brackets clamped to 3.25in spacing.

Very nice, Chris. Lot's of nice craftsmanship going into this build. Gonna be a lovely engine!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck...I hope it runs. I think all the fuss I went through with the Ford plumbing engine will pay off here.

Trying to get the water jackets soldered this weekend. I soldered the front mounting bracket to the cylinders. I fastened the main bearings and crankshaft to the cylinders making sure the crankshaft spun freely.

I mounted 4 water jacket blanks together on an aluminum fixture. I drilled and bored to size and test fitted over each cylinder.

Next I'm gonna try to mount all 4 pieces to an arbor, then turn the o.d. until they fit snug in the water jacket c'bore.

looking great I cant wait to see it come together. cam

Thanks Cam & Steve.

I plan on silver solder...at least that is how I fastened the front bracket already and it came out great. I'm going to use scotch brite to blend it all in later.

I hope the engine does not get hot enough to melt the solder. The water jackets are supposed to cool things down but you know...stuff happens.

I ended up making an arbor out of aluminum rod that I had. I turned the end fixed in the 3-jaw to grip 2 water jacket pieces and the end cap wide enough to hold 2 as well. The end cap has a small boss that sticks out and everything is held together with a lockwasher, flat washer, and 1/4-20 SHCS.

I sawcut the 4 corners off each piece to make it a little easier to turn all 4 pieces together. It worked great...never did anything like that before. The rest is solder, solder, and more solder. The last picture shows the front and rear brackets soldered with the water jackets soldered in place. The main crankshaft spins freely by hand.

Next I plan to mount the frame on something so I can get the Flywheel on.

I got the main front engine bracket machined and mounted on some angle iron. The angle iron represents how the actual Quadricycle frame would mount the engine. Almost done with the Main Bearing supports. I soldered the #10-32 SHCS's to the cap screw cap. I also purchased a couple of small aluminum clamp collars to fix the main bearing to the mount.

No machining this weekend...visiting the Cabin Fever Expo!

Finished the eccentric strap using the Bridgeport, rotary table, and lathe/faceplate. It's a little snug but I'm going to work it together with a little fine grit lapping compound.

So I goofed on the eccentric strap and had to make a new one. I forgot about the stem and made a new one. The second one came out much nicer. I milled a small flat one the side that faces the gear for clearance. Now I am working on assembly of the flywheel to the crankshaft and making minor adjustments along the way. I'm taking my time with this build...doing a little at a time.

Eccentric strap milled on rotary table and Bridgeport, split in half.

Drilling mounting holes.

Getting ready to tap.

Using custom tapping block.

Assembled together.

Tapping for eccentric timing rod.

Timing rod fits nicely.

Mounted to faceplate ready for drilling and boring.

Adding internal groove.

eccentric and Eccentric strap mounted to gear showing clearance.

Almost there!

great work your engine is really starting to come together.

So I painted the Flywheel...then took it on and off a half dozen times for tweaking. There was some clearance issues that I missed on the CAD drawings. The Flywheel got scratched a little but before I paint it again I'm going to wait until the engine is finished.

Here are some progress pics!

Hi Chris

Great job so far, just as I expected after following your full size build.

A question(or 2): What material did you use for the cylinders and did you machine the bores? That's a very long hole. Also, what happened to the photos in posts #1 & #5?

A comment if I may. The crankpins look like they are machined from brass, which has some good properties, but strength and use as a bearing surface are not on the list. If it is brass, it honestly won't last long. Could you fit a thin bronze sleeve on the crankpin and open the big end up? Just a thought...

Your flywheel colour reminds me of film days when sometimes red or green would jump right out at you, and some digital cameras using the flash get a similar result. Ironic that it has more than a hint of Chevy Orange :)

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

Back