Another (unsure) Upshur twin (lots of beginner questions?)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cam shaft gear was made today. (from some cold rolled mystery steel) I have a 0.5 module hob, i decided to go with that.
0.5 module gears compared to 0.528 module gears (aka 48 pitch) have little smaller teeth. So I adjusted the counts from 30/60 to 32/64.
That pair would have a center distance of 24 mm which is then 0.18 mm too large.
I try to leave both blanks 0.18 mm smaller in diameter, and keep the tooth depth same. I am hoping I will get away with it.
Thre blanks, one was in the middle, so the burr is very small, one has a burr on the climb cut side and the 3rd one has a little messed up tooth profile. cam shaft gear.jpg

Deviating from the schedule I gave the crank shaft a try.
big plate.JPGI found a big plate hot rolled steel 16 mm thick. I could cut a strip off with the band saw that was roughly the proper length.
drilling 3 centers.JPG
Drilling center spots on both ends, using the toolpost as the workholding, with the center drill in the collet block. For height I made a scribe line, for distance using the digital helper.

Interrupted cutting at low rpm with patience went almost uneventful. (The plan suggested to drill and mill out parts before, but I went with plunging directly) The most irritating thing is that the part becomes "transparent" which requires a lot of attention.
K1600_P1010134.JPG
The burr in the last plunge cut was quite big, but it went away as soon as the diameters of first and second plunge cut matched. I made a block that fitted nicely into each gap.
P1010135.JPG
To keep the corners sharp on the crank I made a left and right hand skinny parting tool. K1600_P1010140.JPG
The first trial was totally annealed, because of insufficient patience and cooling. The second went flying, when I wanted to touch up the front angle.
Number 3 and 4 were better. (0.5 mm wide)
After lot more work, interrupted cutting I have my first single piece crank shaft. Might need some modification later. (is a little bit too long on both ends and no gear mounted yet.
K1600_P1010139.JPG

K1600_P1010138.JPG

Greetings Timo

Last edited:
Back