Flywheel Construction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drileyeng

Reaction score
I have purchased Rudy Kouhoupt working steam engines book, in it is a set of plans for a walking beam engine. I would like to know if anyone has done this engine and can they let me know how to fabricate the flywheel as I am not to sure about this steam engine stuff just yet. I have been doing a Stuart 10H engine for some time now and have put it on the shelf for a while as not to sure on some machining to be done.The walking beam engine looks a bit easier, any help would be appreciated.

Darren

I usually make flywheels from 3 pieces, rim, spokes and hub. The inner diameter of the rim has a little ridge left in it to locate the spoke part. Silver solder the hub to the spoke section and soft solder the spoke ends to the rim. Then finish machine.

... but once I did one like this

fly2.jpg

fly3.jpg

fly4.jpg

Dang it, Tel, you sure make it look easy!

Chuck

Nice! I am going to have to add one of these to a future project. Really like the looks. Thanks for the photos.

No doubt about it tel,you are a clever old bugger. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ian (seagar)

Yeah what tel said. !!!

The Rudy Kouhoupt shop wisdom books give step by step instructions. his detailed methods for built up flywheels are very similar to what tell illustrated. Tel's second fly wheel looks like the one in the WB plans . IIRC Rudy suggests using steel and "stainless steel solder" which is pure tin.
I am thinking of trying a built up steel fly wheel that is welded. I have a small ring roller and a wire feed welder so can go totally from scratch.
Like I said before easy stuff any five year old can do this with ten years experience. Tell has the experience. Onya
Tin

Latest posts

Back