Fly Cutter questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John,

Thankyou for your feedback, being able to compare notes is very useful. Getting a good finish on difficult materials is often not as easy as it looks.

I wasn't criticising your work at all,
I didn't take your comments as a criticism :) Indeed I am very happy to learn from others and improve. My intention was to provide more information that could be useful.

I note in a previous post Dave mentioned a "Tangential fly cutter" ! I've seen that design from "Mike's Workshop"
and I'm having a hard time understanding any benefit from it. For me there is no difference since one can grind a toolbit to provide the same attack angles using any conventional flycutter.

How does a vertical tangential tool get advantages over a normally set lathe tool? The cutting forces are transmitted through the length of the toolbit so there is less deflection. So, I suppose the same argument is used for the tangential flycutter.
Just read Mike's notes I so don't have any evidence of its superiority (or otherwise).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

How does a vertical tangential tool get advantages over a normally set lathe tool? The cutting forces are transmitted through the length of the toolbit so there is less deflection. So, I suppose the same argument is used for the tangential flycutter.
Just read Mike's notes I so don't have any evidence of its superiority (or otherwise).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Easier to sharpen.

Pete

Hi guys,

If you think about it, easier to sharpen doesn't mean a lot! You can still use those same cutting angles with a conventional fly cutter.

It works on a lathe because the work surface is curved, which it is not when fly cutting. The whole purpose of using a fly cutter is to obtain a surface that is flat with reference to the mill bed.

I have a tangential lathe tool and it makes a very good surface finish. Ideal for surfaces that might get used as a bearing for instance.

Latest posts

Back