Finger powered beam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foozer

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least that's the plan, but best laid plans . . . Time to see if what I know about Fusion 360 [and the more I learn about it, the less I do know] can actually produce something using stone axes and flint knifes.

Beam try number 2 - note 1 to self - ensure the item fits within a 6 inch circle, really a bummer to stick a 6 & 1/4 inch on a lathe with a 6 inch max [AA109]

Note number 2 - Always ensure Fusion sketches are fully constrained so should a dimension need to be changed [as above] the rest of the model follows suit limiting any further edits as minimal . .

So a shot of what the beam is envisioned as with a couple of in work shots . . .

Now to rig up a face plate to face it to size and bore the center hole for what will be a bearing support - Hey I'm Tickled I got this far . . .

Robert

Beam v4.jpg

DSCF0259.JPG

DSCF0261.JPG

A bit of overkill perhaps - - Made up the fixture to hold the beam in the lathe, a 1" by 6" round - it's a close fit. Two 0.250 compression pins pressed in with a couple 1/4x20 threaded holes so bolts from the backside can be used to push the beam off the pins [holes in beam ends are 0.247 or so]. Do have to press the beam onto them with beam standing above plate some 0.032, able to slip a piece of chaf stock 'tween the bolt and beam.

But it's an AA 109, you'll twist up the spindle turning that mass, Yes it will and has - Got bored one day, dug up a 101 headstock and mounted it - Rule is 'Don't get aggressive and all will be well . . .

So now to clean up the faces and bore the center hole . . .
Robert

DSCF0262.JPG

Latest posts

Back