Beam Engine (or so is the plan)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foozer

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always liked beam engines and now that my little 3 axis is in working order, time to see if I can make something like one - No plans , just winging it as I go along. Draw something up till I like it, then try carve it out of metal.
Drawing is easy, put a 10 degree taper to the sides - I Like It - Well after more hours than I care to count, whittling away little by little . . . Whose the nut that said taper would look good - - -

DSCF0392-crop.JPG
Undercutting - 1/4 inch Dremel ball mill - Now that's an adventure, Tried regular ball end mill - Fail - Flipping the part over no matter how careful I was still ended up with the planes skewed a tad. The Dremel ball alloed the reach under with the shank just clearing.

DSCF0393.JPG
Then it's the super glue (no tape) so can face it down to final size. Lesson learned, don't get super glue on the hold down threads - Ya - Brought 0.060 off each side at 0.003, don't want to stress the glue so about 20 minutes later, a dose of Acetone to break the glue bond leaves me with - -

DSCF0394.JPG

So now I have a beam and two connecting rods - Want to do the flywheel along the same theme - That's going to be fun - Don't know yet what the end result will be - Guess that's why it's called a hobby.
Robert

I'm with you Robert, I like beam engines as well. I built one a while back and I still think it's the best engine I have made. I'll follow this with interest. Cheers, Peter

Made another piece, actually two but we won't talk about the first one and not so sure I like the second one.

DSCF0405.JPG
Cutout four of those from 1/2 inch flat stock, shaped em to rough size 10 degree taper, J-B Weld two pieces together then tried a dremel 1/4 ball to do the final shaping w/undercutting. Results are so-so - 0.800 thick piece pushes the undercutting idea to just being silly.

DSCF0405.JPG DSCF0407.JPG

One more of the 'A' mounts to make then off to a flywheel. Trying to keep the same theme going but this general flywheel design has an odd resemblance to a hood ornament.
3 Spoke .jpg

Squared off edges would be easier, but not as much fun . . .
Robert

Back