Farm Boy #862

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
I finally finished Farm Boy #862. This was jumping into the deep end for me, this was my very first project with a new mill and lathe purchased as a retirement hobby. My background is in electronics, so I'm pretty happy as a clueless mechanical novice.

Jim

Jolly good job and I really like the blue paint job as the others I have seen seem to be Brunswick Green for want of a better colour name. Something I have yet to attempt being an internal combustion engine. I have stuck to steam (Compressed Air in my case) engines. One being an air powered hit and miss that ran much better before I disassembled and painted it. :( It was Brian Rupnow's plans.
John B

Hi Peter. A friend made them for me as a favour. Unfortunately he doesn't make them to order.
Cheers
Andrew

The nameplate is a nice touch, I plan to add one too. I thought about going to a trophy shop to see about a custom engraving or I also see places on the internet that offer that service too. The paint is KlassKote epoxy paint.

Jim

I am currently building the farmboy and need someone to cut the two gears for me. I don’t want to buy the two cutters needed just for two gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I would certainly pay for the services.

Have you considered making your own gears? Pretty simple if you have a rotary table and mill. You can make your own involute cutters and arbor with metal you probably already have.

I am currently building the farmboy and need someone to cut the two gears for me. I don’t want to buy the two cutters needed just for two gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I would certainly pay for the services.
Hi. I made my farm boy gears to mod 0.5 and changed the centre hole distance slightly. All covered in one of my videos. I just don't have the time to make some for you but HPC Gears in Chesterfield UK sell loads of different gear sizes. I've not used the company but it might be a solution for you.
Good luck!
Andrew

Hi. I made my farm boy gears to mod 0.5 and changed the centre hole distance slightly. All covered in one of my videos. I just don't have the time to make some for you but HPC Gears in Chesterfield UK sell loads of different gear sizes. I've not used the company but it might be a solution for you.
Good luck!
Andrew
Might be worth while to contact Stock Drive products in NY as they have hundreds of on the self of products like these gears. The gearing can be changed but need to maintain the same ratio. You will be happy with this engine I built the original an ran so nice built a 20% larger one with same results. Used the same gear sizes.
Harvey

Good luck!
Andrew
Than you Andrew, I watched all of your videos and really enjoyed them, so thanks for that. I didn’t watch them soon enough because I had already bored the holes per the print so now I really have to stick to imperial size cutters. Thanks alot

The print shows dimensions to the cam gear bore; that is in my opinion a mistake - it really needs to be fit to the gears. I kept the .450 vertical dimension on the print and adjusted the 1.026 as required for a good gear mesh. I think I was about 3 to 4 thou over the stated dimension.

Everything was setup in the mill using a pin to hold the brass gear starting at about 1.040 inches (versus 1.026). Then move the gears together for the desired fit, drill and ream .250.

Frame-31-12-2021-10-03-05.jpg

Latest posts

Back