Duplex Vacuum, (Heinrici type stirling)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a good plan to me Dean. Thm: Should work like a champ. But hole placement in the wooden base is going to be critical.

What type of wood have you decided upon?

Kel

The base looks phenominal Dean. I didn't realize the hi-temp paint had to be cured so I learned something already today. I went back and looked at the picture on Jerry's site to see the feet. I think your approach should work just as well and the final appearance will be the same if not visually even more appealing with the contrast of the brass against the black.

Bill

That base looks great Dean.

I had a similar problem with the high temperature paint I used on Fred the loco; It was nice and glossy, and after baking turned matt after baking. But actually, its started to turn glossy again after a couple of running sessions; I don't know if that's because of getting oily water sputtered all over it from starting from cold (condensation in the cylinders) each time and getting a wipe-down after running, or if its just with some "age".

Regards, Arnold

Aw c'mon Dean. You really should make the base out of Stainless. This way it won't rust or get termites!

Kel, Bill, Arnold, Mike;
Thanks again for taking the time to leave your comments, guys! Much appreciated.

Kel, dunno what kind of stuff this is that I have. Mystery wood!
All wood is a mystery to me.

Mike, that's not a bad idea. At least I know how to deal with steel! Somewhat, anyway.

More shop time today. It's (still) getting there.

174.jpg

To finish the large 'V' shape that will fit the corners of the firebox, the piece is turned up on its side. One
of the flats that was formed with the countersink is used to get the parts squared to the spindle.

175.jpg

Then all the waste is milled away.

176.jpg

Since the firebox sides are angled toward the top, the 'V' cut on the feet can't fit up tight against it.
See the large gap on top?

177.jpg

So they will fit properly, a bevel is filed on each edge of the 'V', including in the corner.

178.jpg

I made up a couple of filing buttons. They're kind of an odd size, and I doubt I'll need them again,
so just made them from CRS. If they needed a common size, like 3/8" or 1/2", I'd use drill rod and
harden it so they would last for more than one job. The radius on these is something like .205". Not
likely I'll have another one like that for a long time. Or, I'll have on on my next job...

I got the inner parts of the flywheels painted, and found a suitable board to mount the engine.
Time for a trial fit-up.

Everything's just sitting there for the moment. Not really bolted down.

179.jpg

180.jpg

Whaddya think? Too much red?
(The base and flywheels are from the same can of paint. Some lighting trick makes
them look different. They really are the same!)

Still more to do! Getting close, though.

Thanks again for looking in.

Dean

Wow Dean.
That looks fantastic.
I don't know what else to say.

In your earlier post, I didnt' know what you meant about how the feet were going to pinch. Now I do.

Wow Dean.
Looks great.

Man it sure is a nice looking engine speechless wow!! :bow: :bow:

Great Job Dean. :bow:

The black and red is a great combination.

Excellent job. Thm:

Kel

Hi Dean,

I just wanted to add to the comments that say 'WOW'

I love stirling engines but have not got around to finishing one yet, but to see this run is a beauty.
I wonder if this could easily be turned into a Stirling fan, especially as summer is finally underway here in blighty and each year i think of building one. Someday soon maybe......

Love the engine, loved the video.

Well done

Cheers

Andy

Wow indeed!!! I think it looks perfect just the way it is..can't wait to see the final running video :) Super job Dean!!

Bill

Dean,
It looks terrific. I think the colors are just right. Beautiful workmanship, too.
Dennis

Great looking colour combination Dean :bow: - and no; not too much red ;D

Regards, Arnold

Dean,

The red and black look nice together. Perhaps some black pin stripping on the base would help break it up a bit. The brass corner pieces are a nice touch. I appreciate the detailed instruction you give in your build posts.

Thanks for sharing,

SAM

Dean:

That's looking good. I really like the little brass bits pinching the corners. About that wood stuff: is that RED oak? :big: :big:

Cheers, Joe

Zee, Doc, Kevin, Kel, Mike, Nick, Andy, Bill, Dennis, Arnold, Sam, and Joe; Wow you guys, thanks
for so many kind remarks! I'm humbled to have so much company from so many fine fellow builders.

I wonder if this could easily be turned into a Stirling fan

Andy, it would surly run a fan that would move room air, but I think it wouldn't be practical to use
some thousands of BTU to run it. I mean, the flame to run the engine would heat the air in a warm
room even more that if you didn't have a fan at all.
There are a number of designs and plans for stirling fans out there that are a dedicated fan design.
They still need a flame to operate the mechanics of the thing, though, producing more heat on an
already hot day. Doc is building one now, (doc1955). Look for his thread in this section for more
info on stirling fans.

Sam, pin striping is on the list of things to do yet. I found some gold paint I think will look good
on the firebox and base. That's if I can do it without it looking like finger-painting!

Thanks again, everyone.

Dean

Yo Dean,

Was just checking in to see what doing on your beautiful build. Very much looking forward to the final pics and video.

Bill

Hi Bill; It's getting there. Always seems to be 'one more thing' to do. You know!

Making the door that goes over the cutout area on one side of the firebox where the burner slides in.

181.jpg

I laid out for this on a piece of 1/8" brass sheet, then cut it out with a jewelers saw.

182.jpg

I've never been really good at this, even though I've done it a lot. I always end up with lots of file work.

183.jpg

After the piece was mostly finished off with the file I made a small bushing that will allow the
door to swing to the side when it's mounted. Some flux and a small piece of 45% silver wire, and
it was ready for the heat.
The wire on the bushing is holding it down so it will stay flush with the back side of the door.

184.jpg

Another piece is cut out for the door handle, and finished to the correct shape with the file.

186.jpg

The piece is clamped to the door, and again, flux and a couple of bits of 45% silver wire.
I did just this end with the 45% wire. The part in the middle and the end at the top of
the door next to the bushing was done with 56% wire. Using the different silver alloys
I don't have to worry about the bushing at the top falling off when I do that end, since
45% wire melts at a higher temp than 56% wire.
The 45% silver wire is called BAg-5. The 56% is called BAg-7. That is, if you're in the U.S.

187.jpg

After getting the door handle brazed on, the piece was put in the mill and the back milled flat.
The heat had warped the piece a little and the milling was to surface the back so it will
fit flat against the firebox.

188.jpg

I milled down the front a bit too, partly because of the warp from the previous brazing heat, but
also because I goofed when doing the last heat on this piece. In order to get heat to the back side
of the piece I had tilted it up at an angle, with the eye at the top of the door quite a bit higher
than the bottom of the piece. The 45% silver stayed where it had been on the end of the handle, since
it didn't get hot enough to flow, but when the 56% got to flow temp, a good deal of it ran down to the
bottom of the door and made a puddle. That all got milled away.

When the silver alloy ran down, it also left a visible groove where the handle edge meets the door.
I admit to being a little frustrated at what was a simple brazing job, and ready to be done with it,
I decided to just run a line of regular solder over the visible groove. Then it was filed and sanded.

189.jpg

That's one more piece done, and the last thing on the prints. In the next few days I hope to get a
pulley made for the crankshaft, and a small fan built that will run off the pulley and cool the fins
on the cylinder. I'll have the finished pics at that time, along with a video of the thing running
in its completed state.

Hopefully just a few days to go.

Thanks again for checking in!

Dean

Latest posts

Back