Duplex Vacuum, (Heinrici type stirling)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible Dean !! I didn't get to check last night and was surprised (pleasantly so) to see the vids this morning. Knowing that it runs, and runs so well should make the detailing work all the more fun too. She's a real beauty already, and with the paint scheme, feet, pinstripes, etc. she'll be drop dead gorgeous!!

Nicely done indeed.

Bill

Dean, congratulations on a good runner. :bow: :bow:
I'm sure you are happy to see the end of this build, but I for one am not. You have provided so much good machining detail and other helpful tips on soldering, materials, etc. that I hate to see it come to an end. I have thoroughly enjoyed following this build.

Looking forward to your next project.

Looks and runs great!

Nice work Dean.

Dean,

That's just super! Great job and very professional presentation. Aren't you, like me, astonished at just how fast a Stirling can run, given that its whole action depends on rapidly heating and cooling a volume of gas?

Those big flat panels that form the base are probably acting as loudspeakers to magnify any small mechanical noises. I would volunteer that it would be a lot quieter if you could puzzle out some means of damping their ability to vibrate. As an experiment, you might want to try attaching some (shudder) scrap wood to the panels to see how it affects the noise.

Doc, Kel, Joe, Zee, Kevin, John, Bill, Arv, Kevin, and Marv, Wow, you guys. Thanks for the great response!

Doc, Kel, Kevin, yes it really runs fast. I didn't expect that.

John, it has a surprising amount of power. I can pinch the end of the crank with my fingers fairly firmly and it just keeps going. The prints show the crank flush to the flywheel, but I left it long for a pulley. I think it will run a fan and a small accessory at the same time.
With the burner set to a nice double cone blue flame, there is no soot what-so-ever. Very clean. The bottom of the hot end is just as clean as when I first turned it.

Arv, like you say, I'm kind of glad to have the hard stuff done. I can just relax and finish it out, which will still take me a couple of weeks. You know how it is, though. About half-way through a project, you start wanting to be done with it to move on to something new. I'm there.

Marv, this isn't my first stirling type, but it's surly the most powerful. To think it all comes from only a few cc's of air in a closed system, it's kind of astounding. It seems pretty amazing that such a small amount of air can transfer heat so quickly.
I think the majority of the noise was coming from my bench. The noise level went down considerably when I set it on a rubber mouse pad. Then it just sounds like a rapidly rotating mechanical movement, instead of like a two cycle engine!

Again, everyone, thanks so much for the comments. It's not done yet!

Dean

Beautiful workmanship,
and an excellent smooth runner.

Very well put together build thread as well.

Great job all together.. th_wav

hobby said:
Beautiful workmanship,
and an excellent smooth runner.

Very well put together build thread as well.

Great job all together.. th_wav

IMHO hobby said it all - Congratulations Dean. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

:bow: :bow: Dean, that is a very nice runner ;D :bow: :bow:
I saw it earlier today, but couldn't respond :-[ - my "own" rules at work :-[ - "look, but don't touch" :big:

Very informative and inspirational thread (as always from you ;D ) - thank you!

It's not done yet!
I'm paying full attention ;D - imagine things getting even better, eh ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

Dean, I've been pondering my next engine and haven't considered something like a Sterling until I saw yours run. What a fine job you did! Kudos, and thanks for the thread!

-Trout

Hobby, Bob, Arnold, Trout, thanks so much for your continuing kind words! I admit to being
somewhat uplifted from hearing from you and so many others the past few days. What a nice
crew we have here!

John, glad that's what you needed to know. It's really a nice clean unit when you adjust it to
a soft blue flame. And, I finally have a use for it! :)

Best regards, all!

Dean

Dean

I just would like to say I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and look forward to seeing the finished project.

Great job!

Dave

Very impressive Dean, it does seem to have oodles of power for a stirling!

Nick

Like the others I am just wowed by this. Quite an ingenious design. And a magnificent presentation by you. Awaiting the finished engine. Can't imagine as it'a already a beauty!

Dave, Vic, Nick, Mike, thanks much for the comments!

Had a few days with no shop time, but got back to it today.

166.jpg

Got the base painted. I don't know if it will get hot enough to mess up regular paint, so did this in heat
resistant black. It's supposed to be gloss. It was until I followed the directions. The can says it won't
be cured until it's been heated, so after putting on a few coats, I popped it in the oven at 300° f for about
an hour. After it had cooled, it came out kind of semi-gloss. I guess that's how it's going to be.

167.jpg

I got started on the feet, which I've been putting off a bit. Using a piece of brass flat stock, laid out one
end and used that end as a guide for all the others. The center for the radius that's being cut with the boring
head is a point somewhere off the surface of the work piece. I cheated a little, and instead of figuring out
where that point falls in mid air, drew out the measurements on a piece of paper, then used a compass to mark
one radius line on the work piece. Then set the boring head to cut that radius, and just moved the X and Y around
until the arc of the tool followed the arc drawn on the piece.

The Y table was locked, and the X dial set to zero. I counted all the turns as I cranked the X back away from
the tool until it would make a first cut of about .050" into the arc. Then kept cutting away, and after each pass
with the tool, cranked the X in another .050" and cut down through it again, and so on until I got back to my
starting point on the X axis.

168.jpg

After the first cut, the piece is flipped over, and all done again. I used a small adjustable square as a work
stop, adjusting it off the piece after the first arc was cut, and using that setting each time I reset the piece
for another cut. Before starting each arc, I ran the cutter over the piece turning the spindle by hand to make
a mark as seen in the pic above. That way, if I lost count of the dial turns, I would still be able to see where
to end the cut.

169.jpg

Here is one end with the arcs done. After this one, I didn't do anymore marking out. The next cuts were done
on the other end of this piece, and then the two ends were cut off and squared up, then the same was done again,
until I had four feet.

170.jpg

It was kind of a slow process, but after a few hours I had the feet roughed out.

171.jpg

A pin was put through the holes in the pieces and with all the arcs lined up, they were locked in the vise to
take a cut off the flats and get them all to the same length.

172.jpg

The flat part has to have a large 'V' cut in it to fit over the corners of the firebox. To get started with
that a slot was cut right down the middle of them.

173.jpg

After the slot has been cut, a countersink is used to start the sides of the 'V'.
If the milling machine you are using is on the small side, you have to go a bit easy when cutting
a 'V' in this manner. The gibs need to be adjusted up properly to keep the tables from wanting to
wander a bit. The deeper you go, the heavier the cut becomes because the angle of the cutting
edges make the tool "bigger" with each cut. So as you get deeper, take smaller increments on
your cut.

This is where I ended today. I'll show finishing up the 'V' next time, if I don't goof them up.

Thanks for checking in!

Dean

Dean!

I'd been waiting to see what you did with the sides of the base. I missed it. I saw the solder at the top and bottom. What, if anything, did you do to fill the edges?

The paint job is awesome.

I didn't realize it had feet. I had to go back to the beginning of the thread and look at the engine.

How do the feet attach to the base?

The flywheels are great!

Doc, thanks!

Zee, thanks to you, too!
On page 12, post #178 the first pic in that post shows the top after it's been silver brazed onto
the rest of the firebox. The corners of the side plates are also done like that, as you saw. Then, in the
next pic you can see where I ran regular soft solder over the one brazed joint to fill in the corners and
give a little excess, (so I can file it flat). All the other corners all the way down are done the same
way over the top of the silver joints, and over the middle sections of the joints where there was no
solder at all. Then it was all filed flat so the joints all the way down the sides appear seamless. You
can see the piece before it was painted in the third pic of that post #178. At that point I've filed off
the excess soft solder and blended it a bit with wet'n dry.

On the engine that Howell built, he soldered the feet to the bottom corners of the firebox, then painted
them. I want them to be natural brass color, so after I get the large 'V' groove cut in the feet, I'll put
a shallow bevel on the inside of the two sides of the groove to match the taper of the firebox. Then,
when they are tightened down to a wooden base, they will pull down the firebox and pinch it into place.
That's the plan, anyway...

Thanks again for the comments, guys!

Dean

Latest posts

Back