Duplex Vacuum, (Heinrici type stirling)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanofid

Reaction score

Hello all;

It's been three months to the day since I finished my last engine, and during that interval, much
time was spent trying to decide what I wanted to build next. Well, actually, I built a number of
things during that time, but they were not engines.

Not to long ago, I finished up my version of Jerry Howell's small propane burner, and I made it
as a prelude to building an engine to go with it. I knew I wanted to make some kind of heat
engine, but until a few weeks ago, hadn't settled on the design. I'd seen a Duplex Vacuum engine
some years ago, and it struck me as an attractive design then, and it's where I finally landed for this build.

I got the prints for it from the late Mr. Howell's business, along with a piece of graphite for the
piston, and two small ball bearings needed for the crank shaft. The name of the engine is
deceptive, until you know, as Mr. Howell writes, that it was made by the Duplex Vacuum Company,
so, it's really a proper name, rather than a descriptive one. It's a Heinrici type stirling cycle engine.
The displacer and power piston run on the same axis, or centerline, with the displacer rod running
through the center of the power piston, and the two of them go up and down in the same cylinder.

There's a picture of the engine at this link, if you'd like to see it. (It's copyrighted, so can't be
put up here.)
http://www.model-engine-plans.com/engineplans/images/Duplex.jpg

I started with the displacer arm. Similar to a con-rod, but has a clamping eye on one end.
It may be an odd place to start, but my latest materials order has been lost in shipment, so
until something shows up, I'll make parts with the metal I have on hand.

1.jpg

Starting with a piece of rectangular aluminum stock, milled to length, the holes for the shafts
it will need are bored.

2.jpg

The big end has to be radiused, so a shoulder stud is made for holding the arm securely.

The end of a close fitting shaft for the bore in the arm is turned down enough to thread for
a 4-40 nut.
Really, just putting this here so someone won't be able to accuse me of doing nothing
between this new build, and my last engine. See, Zee? Made a collet closer for the Atlas.

3.jpg

There. It's ready.

4.jpg

Now the shoulder stud is mounted in the vise nice and square, and the arm slipped over it.

The shoulder on the stud is left just slightly proud of the arm, so the nut can be tightened down
without pinching the arm. Then the radii are cut on both sides. One half of the radius, toward
the end of the arm, is quite shallow to leave room for the clamping end of the arm.

I made this radius slightly larger than called for in the print, so there will be a little for clean up
with a file, later.

Originally, I did this step using a ball end mill, but the smallest of that type I have is 3/16", and
the radius it produced didn't look right to me, so I went over it with a regular end mill.

5.jpg

The end here will be the clamping part. It's narrower than the boss, so after getting my dials
set to zero, I made a number of passes taking bites that run up almost all the way to the boss,
but leaving just a bit for filing later.

6.jpg

Now the piece is rotated 90 deg and the hole for the clamping screw is drilled and tapped.
I've also blued the piece and marked out a radius, then nibbled away the waste up to the
mark out line.

7.jpg

Then the clamping part is slit so it can pinch on the shaft that holds this arm.

The other end is slotted too, for a link that will eventually hold it to the displacer shaft.
About the same thing as the shot above, so no pics of that.

8.jpg

Back on its side again, and the waste is removed between the eyes to form the middle part
of the arm.

9.jpg

Turned over one more time, to get rid of the waste on the small end, so it can be rounded over with a file.

Up to this point, I've left the flange of the arm, (the main part in the middle), full width, to
provide a little extra work holding support. 'Bout time to get rid of the excess.

10.jpg

Using 1/16" rods through the two eyes of the arm just happen to give the proper angle to give
the arm a tapered look.

11.jpg

Now I need a couple of filing buttons so I can get rid of the lumpy bits without messing up my
work with the file. A 3/8" piece of drill rod is just the right o.d., so a piece is chucked up and
drilled/tapped for 10-32. A #10 screw is the same size as the bore in the big end of the rod,
so will hold the buttons nicely centered. The nut for a #10 is too large, though, and that's the
reason for taping one of the buttons. It can act as a nut, too.

12.jpg

After the first button is parted off, the threads remaining in the second one are drilled out for
clearance of the #10 screw.

My parting tool left these ridges on the buttons that need to be turned off. Using a piece of
the same 3/8" drill rod behind each button in the collet lets the collet squeeze down on the
little buttons firmly, and helps with positioning them out far enough to clean up.

13.jpg

The buttons are then heated up and then quenched to harden them. If you harden your buttons,
they will not be deformed when you do your filing. The file will just skip over them.

I took a number pics while doing this, trying to get the camera set right to show something close
to the proper color for a hardening temperature. This is as close as I could get, and pretty much
what it looks like indoors. If you have trouble telling colors when doing this, use a magnet to test
the heat. When the steel gets to the right temp, it will no longer be attracted to the magnet.
For small things, like these, you can tell pretty easily, but for larger pieces, it takes longer, and you
find yourself wondering, "Is it there, yet?". Use a magnet, and you'll know for sure.

I just leave these dead hard, and they will be fine that way as long as you don't do something like
squeeze them in a vise. They'll break if you do something like that, or hit them with a hammer.
If they were going to be used in a vise, tempering would be a good idea.

14.jpg

Here are the buttons in place, and I can get to filing on the piece to clean it up some.
After the 'file a while' game, it started looking half way decent.

15.jpg

Well, that's one piece down. Probably won't be anything new for a few days. I'm a slow builder!

Thanks for having a look.

Dean

Well worth the wait Dean.
Very nice post with goodies to learn. Thanks!

Dean

Good to see you started on another engine. Don't worry about how fast it gets done, the only one likely to fuss is that Zee guy :big:

Cheers, Joe

Your off to a very nice start.
Lookin very nice I will be keeping an eye on this build would like to maybe put this engine on my build list.

Very nice Dean.
I'm very interested in Stirlings so I'll keep a close eye on this one.

I've had a Stirling on my short list for many years now. I've had several starts but no finishes. Maybe this is the year.

That's going to be a nice looking engine. I look forward to following your build on it, Dean. Thanks for posting.

Chuck

Thanks all, for the kind comments and encouragements. I appreciate it!

Dean

I like how you fabricated that part,
that's a good idea for making a round on the end of a workpiece,
thanks for showing those details.

That part looks superb...

Dean,

Very nice work. Your displacer arm is one of those parts that make me say "Wow".

Dennis

Great start Dean; I'm looking forward to the rest!

Very well documented as well, as always!

Regards, Arnold

Hobby, Dennis, and Arnold, thanks much for your comments!

For this next post I have a couple more rod/arm things, but they are made a bit different from
the first one. They don't have a clamping lug, and both ends of each are regular round eyes, so
the rotary table can make make them pretty nicely.

16.jpg

My R/T has a 1/4" center hole in the table, so I turned up a couple of studs, one for the end of
the rods that have smaller bores, and one for the rod with a larger bore.

17.jpg

The rod blanks are cut to length and the eye holes are put in with a reamer.

18.jpg

The jig plate that will hold the rods to the table is made up from a short piece of aluminum scrap.
There's not a lot to tell about making it. A couple of tapped holes for clamping the pieces, a couple
of slots for mounting to the table. I did the centering hole, which will locate the jig plate on the R/T,
using an end mill, since it was already in the milling machine. End mills make a pretty accurately sized
hole. It's center cutting, so will just chew its way through without a pilot.

19.jpg

Now out with the Chinese tombstone to make some reference marks on the rods. These marks will
tell me how far to cut the radius on the ends of the pieces. If the job needed more precision, the dial
marks on the R/T would be used.

20.jpg

Centering an R/T is pretty easy. Clamp it down, and find the center with a ground pin in the mill
spindle. The pin is the same size as the center hole of the table, so X and Y are just moved around
until the pin slips into the center hole. A DTI is used if the job requires sub thou setups.

The jig plate was mounted to the R/T first, using the same pin to locate it on the rotary table, then
the table and jig are centered under the spindle bore as a unit.

21.jpg

One of the studs is put through the jig and into the R/T, then the rod eye is slipped over the stud and
clamped down. You can see a scribed line on the end of the jig, upper right in the picture. That line is
used to align the hole in the opposite end of the rod. The holes are small enough that they can easily
be aligned by eye while looking through the hole to see the line.

The X table is then cranked over to produce the needed radius on the end of the rod, and the cutting
commences. The radius is cut to the mark out lines, then the spindle is raised to cut the inside area
of the radius that will dictate the thickness of the rod flange.

22.jpg

After the end of the rods are cut, the rods are put in the mill vise, and the waste on the flanges
between the eyes is removed.

In order to make finishing easier, the material is removed to just short of the radiused area that was
cut when making the ends. In the picture, the part that is circled is what I'm talking about here. You
can see where I've milled down the middle, (the part my thumb is on), and where it meets the radius
previously cut. By leaving the area in the middle just a little high, it makes filing the flanges flat much
better than if it were done the other way around. All you have to do is file a flat area. If the end mill
were allowed to cut even a tiny bit below the radiused area, then you would have to file round and
round the eye trying to get it to look nice. Does that make sense?

23.jpg

Now the part that every one loves so much.
It's good practice! Just settle into it and do it.

24.jpg

So, that's it for today. There are still two more rods to be made, but they are much easier.
Just simple flat things. I'm glad for that. I'm ready to get to some lathe work.

Thanks for checking in.

Dean

Very good looking rods Dean.

As you know, I've still got a lot to learn...so I have to bug you with some possibly...well we'll say 'newbie' questions..

Did you file all four sides of the middle of the rods?
Why not use the mill?

I have one of those scriber tools but have yet to use it.

Is there a time when a scriber would be used over a height gauge?
Do you know of a reference that shows how to use such a scriber? I'd like to know why it's made the way it is...the joints...the various types of slots in the base, etc.

Thanks Dean.

Hi Zee;
I appreciate your questions.

Did you file all four sides of the middle of the rods?
Why not use the mill?

Yes, I filed all four flat sides of the middles.
I did use an end mill to get those surfaces to within 1-2 thou of the radiused surfaces. Getting them to match up really well where the rod ends meet the four flat sides is difficult with a mill. It's easy to go below the point where everything meets up, and then it's a hard filing job trying to match up the round ends to the flat. Doing it the other way around, matching up the flats to the round ends, means you only have to file on the flat parts.

Maybe my reasoning, or my description, is not clear. If that's the case, please ask again, and I'll try to do better.

Is there a time when a scriber would be used over a height gauge?
Do you know of a reference that shows how to use such a scriber? I'd like to know why it's made the way it is...the joints...the various types of slots in the base, etc.

That thing is usually called a surface gauge. It's fine for layout that only needs the accuracy of your eyeball and a marked reference, like a machinists rule. Also handy for finding centers on certain work piece shapes.
The slanted grove in the back is to let the long post reach over an edge, below the top of a surface plate. The slots in the side are just finger grooves. It has a "V" groove in the bottom for following the contour of round stock. The two holes in the base are for pins to guide it in a straight line off the side edge of a surface plate.

A height gauge pretty much takes the place of the surface gauge for laying out accurate lines and checking surfaces. I might get one, someday, but I'm in no rush. I almost never cut to a line when milling things, preferring to cut to coordinates. If I put lines on a piece, it is for something like this, where I just needed a "near enough" reference, or for rough layout for things like clearance hole patterns and other things that do not require fine precision.

I'll look for a user reference. Pretty sure there's some kind of instruction out there. Will put it here or PM you when I find something.

Dean

Thanks Dean.

I suspected you milled then filed.
I would've tried milling to dimension and been unhappy. ;D
I used to not think much about filing (and I mean that in all ways ;D ) but your (and others) threads on filing have completely changed my opinion. (It's helped too that I've had some success filing on the loco.)

Thanks for the quickie on the surface gauge. When I wrote that (i.e. scriber) I had a nagging suspicion I wasn't calling it right (although I think I did name it correctly in that thread about 'useless tools' ;D)

Don't put yourself out looking for educational material for me.

Thanks again.

Just a bit done today, though it took me a good long time to get this far.

Started work on the displacer cylinder. Jerry Howell insists this part be made from stainless steel, so I rounded up a piece of 416.

25.jpg

After a bit of quality time with the hacksaw, I had my piece ready to reduce to chips.

26.jpg

This end will be what is usually called a "hot cap" in a stirling engine. It needs to be more than just
a round piece on the end, though. The prints want what I would call a heat collector.
Like a radiator in reverse.

27.jpg

So, to the mill to make some slots in the end I just turned. Like slicing a pie. The flame that runs
the engine will go right up the middle of those slots.

28.jpg

Then, back to the lathe and chuck up on the end that just got the "pie slices".

The end that has the center hole is where the displacer piston will go. The thin flange is what holds the
piece into the bottom of the engine.
The center part that is a smaller diameter will form a thin walled section of the cylinder that helps keep
heat from transferring to the top end of the engine.

I don't cut stainless very often. I avoid it when I can. Even 416, which is considered free machining, is
really only free machining-ish when you are using a small lathe. I'd much rather cut something like
1144 sp, or even plain old 1018. The old 6" lathe did alright, but it wanted to go slow. I put the back
gear in and let it munch away.

Worked on this piece four hours and the back said it was quitting time. I'll finish it up tomorrow,
then start on something else.

Thanks for having a look.

Dean

This is looking fantastic Dean and beautifully documented. I'll be following it too as I admire all of Jerry's sterling engines and I feel sure he would be admiring your efforts just as we are.

Bill

Nice Dean.

When you cut the slots, did you cut them at depth? Or make several passes?

When it comes to steel, I've only used 1018 (which I haven't developed much of a liking for) or 12L14 (which I have enjoyed). Would 12L14 have been a good choice too?

Thanks Dean.

Bill, thanks for the nice compliment!

Zee, for those slots, I made a bunch of .015" passes. With an 1/8" end mill, I didn't want to push it.

For just this part, Howell really wants it to be stainless. He explains why in the instructions that come with the prints, and makes a convincing argument for it.
He does say that if you absolutely can not get stainless, then use mild steel, which would be like 1018, and a number of others. He wants stainless because of its thermal characteristics, (and it won't rust). I don't know if 12L14 has anything near those thermal qualities. I'd rather use what he considers the best material, and give this engine a better chance of running well.

1018 is good enough stuff for many uses where just "steel" is called for. I can't imagine any general machining situation where 12L14 wouldn't do just as good, or better than 1018, though, and it's also super free machining, which works great for us home shop guys. I would pick 12L14 over 1018 for anything that wanted plain steel, unless it needed to be welded.

Probably the only time you would want something other than 12L14 for use as a general steel product is if you have a machining operation that relieves stresses in long, non-concentric cuts. When you turn down a piece of CRS, (1018, 12L14, 1045, et al) and end up with a number of different diameters, each diameter on the piece has had an equal amount of material removed all around that diameter, and usually, your piece will stay straight.

If you need to make something like a shaft that will have a long non-concentric cut on it, like you would if you milled a long flat on one side of a round bar, you probably wouldn't want most types of CRS. The stresses in regular CRS would likely leave you with a bend in your piece, in that case. For that kind of machining operation, you would want a stress relieved material. That would be things like HRS, or 1144sp.

Long story short, use 12L14 when ever you can.

Dean

Very nice work and documentation.

Great progress!

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back