Cracker my son & I built over Christmas/New Years

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI RKLOPP
I just played your vid a heap of times for my little boy,who my wife says can not talk but it sure sounded like "again" every time I stopped and when I did he was upset :big:
nice one.
Pete

Nice Cracker, runs good. What type of valve did you use for the gas tank filler and what is the tap size? I still have to finish the gas tank on my Cracker.

IronHorse

IronHorse
I used a gas tank valve from a cheapo Ronson refillable barbecue lighter. I made a special tool to unscrew it. It had an oddball thread (M4 x something small, as I recall. See below - I did not recall correctly.), for which I could find no commercial tap. I didn't look hard, as I knew I could single-point the thread in my lathe, which is what I did. I ground the tool from a busted tap.
RKlopp

Just for information, the standard Ronson valve has a M4.5 x 0.5 thread.
Aster made their own similar valves and just to be different made theirs M5 x 0.5 thread.

Taps for both threads are available from:
http://www.victornet.com/tools/Metric-Taps/139.html
for less than US$5.00 but they have a US$ 25 minimum order. They have lots of other machine items beside taps however so it is not too bad to make up the minimum order. I have ordered several times from them and gotten good service.

Gail in NM

Nice! They are just a hoot to run.

I picked up a Ronson-compatible tap (well, compatible with whatever thread was in the $1.99 Harbor Freight pencil torch-- unscrews with one of the $1.99 "security" bits they also sell) from one of the usual supply places (Enco, IIRC). I did have to figure out just what thread it was, though I've since forgotten.

Latest posts

Back