Coming in from the Cold

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is about time I stopped lurking and became an honest member. I have spent the last few months devouring all the information to be had in this site and it needs several months to be able to study everything here.

Although I got my first lathe about 20 years ago, and a vertical mill soon afterwards, they have moved house 3 times, been in store between house moves and emigrated once. I also work overseas and so don't have much time actually using my machines. Retirement is not too far away and when it does finally come, I hope to be able to make up for lost time.

When I lived in England, I built a 3-1/2" G steam loco chassis - got it running on air, but sold all steam stuff when I moved to Ireland. There are no Model Engineers within a 3 day donkey ride from where I live in the wilds of West Cork.

I have made a few tools out of scrap materials to help me get some practice. The idea is that if they don't turn out to be operational, then only my time has gone down the drain. If they do work, then it is a bonus.

My main interest now that I live in Ireland away from the steam fraternity has turned to scale model Hit 'n' Miss engines and over the recent past I've imported a few casting kits from the US. That was before I found this site and realised the diversity of talent and interests that abounds here.

I have just bought myself a digital camera so when I have worked out how to use it, I'll post a few photos of my workshop and its inhabitants.

Enough rambling for one go.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Yo Dave! We've met before ;)

steamdave said:
My main interest now that I live in Ireland

Dave
The Emerald Isle

A big welcome to you, I too am in God's Green Land, albeit in the northern part.

Tim

G'day and welcome Dave

nice to see you here and we all look forward to your pics

cheers

jack

PS maybe you can explain to these guys what "poiteen" is

when i try they call it moonshine but its not

i have been making it here in OZ on and off for 30 years
after a mate from Durham showed me

ya gotta try it to realise what it really is i think

Welcome too - Ahh I have spent many a happy time visiting the family in Fountains town and Longford Cty Mayo - Lucky you.

Back