Building Hit or Miss Claire Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kel
Glad you like my postings. I used three drills before the one in the picture which is 23/32. I bored within .005 and finished with the reamer. Your cat is cute. Jack B

Hi friends: My computer has been in the repair shop since last week so I am behind on posting. I kept machining so I will have many pictures to catch up on. Jack B

The Cylinder Head is made from scrap aluminum stock milled square in my Index Vertical miller.

Rea2.jpg

Using my Starrett edge finder to pick up datum point for holes. It will be the upper right hand corner.

Rea4.jpg

After hole is center drilled the tap drill is pushed right through. This is for the Metric spark plug CM-6.

Rea5.jpg

These end mills will be used to open the hole to receive the cylinder. Largest diameter is 7/8 of an inch. The two smaller holes shown are for mounting the unit to the Spacer Block.

Rea6.jpg

3/4 endmill deepest cut.

Rea8.jpg

7/8 endmill will leave a step in the bore.

Rea9.jpg

The Cylinder is a perfect fit.

Rea10.jpg

This homemade tool will guide the sparkplug tap straight.

Rea11.jpg

Tapping sparkplug hole.

Rea12.jpg

Four holes must be put in to hold the Cylinder to the Cylinder Head. They are on a 1.188 bolt circle. My Index vertical miller has conventional dials. No DRO. So I will dial the coordinates from my center that is already established. A little Trig and my dimensions are .420 X & Y directions.

Rea13.jpg

The four holes are clearance for 8-32 screws.

Rea14.jpg

The Cylinder is bolted to the Cylinder head with a brass bolt and a rusty nut This is being done in my old Buffalo Drill Press. The work is in a well used cam lock vise.

Rea15.jpg

Machining radius on the Cylinder Head. I whittle the circle with a endmill by taking a series of cuts.

Rea17.jpg

The radius is finished on my disk sander.

Rea18.jpg

Drilling the Crankshaft hole.

Rea20.jpg

Reaming the Crankshaft hole. Two stinted bearings well be pressed in the holes.

Rea21.jpg

Start of Crankshaft squared up.

Crs1.jpg

Two accurate center holes are needed on ends.

Crs2.jpg

Angle plate and clamps hold the work in the milling vise.

Crs3.jpg

Roughing out the center throw.

Crs4.jpg

Turning on centers in lathe using a cutoff tool for a tool bit.

Crs5.jpg

Diameter and sides cut to size.

Crs6.jpg

I made a special split tool to keep the center pressure from distorting the shape of the Crankshaft.

Crs8.jpg

Special tool inserted when cutting diameters.

Crs9.jpg

All parts of engine assembled as of now. I got tired of looking at the red dye so I removed it. The engine is much heavier than I though it would be.

Crs10.jpg

Looking great Jack :)

I like your method of supporting the center when turning the main journals.

Jeff

Hi Jeff That support method worked well. I made it a good fit. The work felt secure when I was turning it. Jack B

Great work on th crank Jack.

Did you turn the main journals all on he lathe?
Or did you rough it with the mill first?

kel

Hy Kel
It was my intention to rough down the outside diameters in the miller. But I wanted to see how my special tool would work in the lathe. I took light cuts at first and kept increasing to about .040 per cut. My RPMs were between 500 and 600. It cut nicely and I just lessened the depth of cut for two finishing cuts. Jack B

Philip Duclos the engine's designer suggested a 1961 to 1972 Chrysler ignition point set. I have had 1928 to 1930 Model A Fords for the past forty years. So I have extra distributor and ignition parts for the Model A Ford. Therefore I am going to try to adapt a set of Model A points to my engine. At first glance they look like they will be OK with a few modifications.

Crs12.jpg

The cam diameter had to be made larger then the print called for. The cam on the left is original Model A. The center one is the print size and the one on the right is the new size.

Crs11.jpg

I made a special backing shim for the Model A point plate. I am using the mounting holes the print called for.

Crs13.jpg

I drilled a hole in the Model A plate to match the mounting set screw. All is looking good so far.

Crs14.jpg

Using my scriber on the surface gageto pick up the second mounting hole.

Crs15.jpg

Transferring the mounting hole location to the Model A plate. I made a round piece of stock to fit the center hole of the plate and the crankshaft diameter. This is centering the plate with the crankshaft. I will cutoff the long arm on the plate when I am satisfied the plate will fit on the Engine Upright okay.

Crs16.jpg

Drilling on the miller. These are extended jaws with built in parallels on the Bridgeport Vise.

Crs17.jpg

I am about to mill a slot right through the plate and the backing shim. This will be for adjustment when they are mounted.

Crs18.jpg

I made the decision that the arm had to go. I am milling it off while the plate is in the vise.

Crs19.jpg

No going back it's off.

Crs20.jpg

Looks pretty good. Oh Oh !!! The engine runs clockwise and the Model A distributor is made to run counter clockwise. The plate must be turned around.

Crs21.jpg

I took the plate all apart including the Phenolic insulation. I then re-assembled all the parts on the back of the plate and re-attached it to the Engine Upright.

Crs22.jpg

This is how the point set looks now for clockwise turning of the cam.

Crs23.jpg

The cam on the crankshaft contacts the cam on the riser block of the points correctly. Everything is smooth running as the crankshaft turns.

Crs24.jpg

Back