Building a "Turkey," My version of Elmers VR3 #51. (Finished, with video)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what the original looks like, MB, but these look quite uniform to me.

#27 Below are the final pictures of "Turkey", my modified version of Elmer's V3R. My first trial run proved a little problematic. The engine would not run with less than 20 PSI. The middle cylinder was using up most of the air pressure due to its short run of small diameter tubing used in the design. And the longer lines used for the left and right cylinders were suffering a tremendous pressure loss. When I ran water pressure through the lines this was clearly evident. A good solution would be to use larger 3/16"lines to the left and right cylinders. I came up with a way to reduce the middle cylinders consumption by replacing the vented cylinder cover with a solid one identical to the ones used on the left and right cylinders. This trapped air above the cylinder and created a sort of air spring (back preasure) that reduced the consumption of available pressure.

It worked! After replacing the cylinder cover the engine went from a 20 PSI, to a 6 PSI running pressure! Previously the right cylinder lifted just as Elmer mentioned it would. I changed out the spring to a heavier gauge wire and it seems to have been eliminated by that, plus the lower operating pressure is also a factor.

At 6 Psi the engine runs nice and slow, and at about 10-12 PSI its as fast as anyone would want to risk. I did brave it up to 25 PSI for a few seconds to see if it would hold together but that's way too fast for my taste.

Below are several pictures I took today, and my pitiful amateur video for your viewing pleasure. Who cares...its free! Enjoy!

p1020339v.jpg

p1020343a.jpg

p1020345.jpg

p1020347p.jpg

p1020348t.jpg

p1020349.jpg

p1020350z.jpg

The slowest speed in the video is at 6 PSI, and at the highest speed it is 12 PSI.
Note: No air molecules were harmed during the filming of this video. :big:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ganzD2UXc[/ame]

Thanks for all your help and support. :)
-MB

-MB,
Thank is fantastic I haven't heard that song in a long time :big:

Just kidding, Really Really Nice Engine. She runs like a dream and I see the tubing thing you got down pat.

Congrats th_wav

Tony

I do have a couple of questions...

1. How do you clean up the the soldered joints? By clean I mean make'em purdy so they don't look like they have blobs of solder...

2. Paint. What surface prep for painting the brass and other metals?

MB, that is very impressive, not only looks good but runs good, that a lot of work there, did another copy and paste, thanks for the pictures and tips on how to, Lathe Nut

Twmaster said:
I do have a couple of questions...

1. How do you clean up the the soldered joints? By clean I mean make'em purdy so they don't look like they have blobs of solder...

2. Paint. What surface prep for painting the brass and other metals?

Hi Twmaster,
#1, I didn't do any clean up other than scrub off the flux residue in preparation for paint. I heated the brass from behind and carefully touched the intersection between the brass plates and the copper tubing with very thin fluxed solder. It flows into the pre-fluxed joints leaving a thin (tinned) layer surrounding the joint area. For good flow to fill in the small .001" gap I used Harris rosin core 30% tin. I get that "blobbing" problem with other solders.
#2 To prep for paint I scrub with 400 grit sand paper or in tight quarters I use small pieces of a Scotch Brite pad. Its very important to spray on a few light coats of primer before you spray on your finish color coat(s). I use a self etching primer on aluminum. On steel or brass a red oxide primer works well. All pieces to be painted should be absolutely clean of grease, oil, dust, finger prints, etc. A very small piece of paper towel moist with solvent like M.E.K. or lacquer thinner, wiped over the pieces will do the trick.

Warning: BE CAREFUL to read and understand the dangers and proper disposal methods of these products due to their high flammability and potential health hazards.

Be smart, be safe!

-MB

Deanofid said:
Nicely done, MB. And the Doors! Yeah.

Dean

Hi Dean, I have a radio on 24/7 in my shop and my (smoke) break room (the garage).

Helps to keep me from goin nuts! Or do I mean nutier? :big:

-MB

Excellent build MB. The finish on the engine is outstanding, the colors, the bare metal and the wood base. Oh yeah, and it runs nice too.
gbritnell

MB, that is some seriously beautiful engine building. Well done indeed.
You've really got the color scheme nailed (although I would have left those beautiful copper pipes in their natural state).

MB,
I agree with everything that has been said about the quality of the build. It's beautiful. What I can't get over is how quickly you built it. Less than a month....how do you do that???
Dennis

Another nice build and a great runner. Of course, a "turkey" should have been ready by Thanksgiving. ;D

What's next?

Denofid, zeeprogramer, Twmaster, gbritnell, mklotz, cobra 428, shred, rake60, lathe nut, 4156df, kvom, and others.

Thanks! For all your positive comments and support. I find your interest in my projects to be very inspirational and instrumental to my efforts. Knowing you are watching my work helps me to focus on trying to do my very best. And its great members like you that make me happy and proud to be a member on this forum! Sincerly :bow:.

-MB :)

Lovely build, MB. You sure know how to make'm look and run nice. And you don't let any grass grow under your feet in the process!

Chuck

cfellows said:
Lovely build, MB. You sure know how to make'm look and run nice. And you don't let any grass grow under your feet in the process!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck I appreciate your uplifting comment! I try my best, and do with the materials and basic skills on hand. As far as makin them purty..."Honey" always say's "Its not that I'm a good cook, you were hungry like a wolf"" If "Honey" is "busy" I get a tasty looking hot dog ona bun, and I say "Wow!, how did you know I was in the mood for one of these!" And every one is happy!

It takes me 30 minutes to get up in the morning. If I sit or lay down, within 30 minutes Rigor Mortis starts to set in! I may be slower than a slug, but I stay on the move all day. I worry about the grass that's gonna grow above me. :(

Enough of this morbid talk. Lets get back to our shops! "Honey's" home and I need to make myself scarce! :big:

-MB

Latest posts

Back