beginner cad programs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesie

Reaction score
well i would like to get started in doing a little cad. i have drawn the old way paper& t sq. now would like to try some simple cad for free to start.something 2-d or maybe sketch-up by google. can 2d be done in sketch-up with dims.want it simple to start then i can go from there. been building plastic molds for almost 40 years so i work with cad prints all day but never got into doing the drawing. thanks for any help or advice. jonesie

I use Draftsight, which is a free download. It takes a little time to ramp up skills, but there are online tutorials. It's Autocad compatible and can do draw about any 2D.

Hi Jonesie,

For me the most easy cad package I ever worked with was IronCAD. It is full 3d and can generate 2d drawings from the 3d models.
I have worked with a lot of different packages but this one was an instant winner for me. (standard disclaimer)

Good luck

Lykle

Jonesie-

There was a lot of discussion about Draftsight on this thread:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=11004.0

Much of the tutorial material posted there can be applied to most 2D CAD programs.

I started out with a drawing board and parallel bar (still have them) in 1978, learned AutoCad (2D) in 1994, and learned Solidworks (3D) this year.

Draftsight is very similar to Autocad 2D, but Draftsight is free.

Others have mentioned some programs which I am not familiar with, but which may be useful.

You can always post questions here if you get stuck.
There are plenty of 2D and 3D guys on this forum to help.

Pat J

I would suggest you start with a 3D solid modeler.. 2D CAD is 1980 technology, skip it and go with todays technology. Using a real 3D parametric solid modeler is a totally different mindset than 2D CAD. You can make 2D drawings by a couple button clicks when you need them, but the 3D model is just light-years ahead of 2D.

I think the only hobby affordable package is Alibre. Solid works would be great, but likely out of the range of any hobby guy.

Jonesie-

I agree with Ron about 2D CAD being 1980's technology, but I had a heck of a time learning how to use 3D, since 3D is nothing like using a drawing board.

3D is like extruding and cutting shapes in a clay sculpture, and this is an animal in and of itself.

For simple geometric design that is the same as a drawing board, use 2D CAD, and don't worry about 3D.

If you master 2D and want to move up, then you can always have that option.

Some may be able to move directly from the drawing board to 3D, but I would think that would be the rare exception.

My thoughts are, don't use a locomotive to crack walnuts, and 3D is definitely a locomotive.

Pat J

Hi,

I have greatly enjoyed using ViaCad 2D3D (and have since upgraded to SharkFX), which is available from www.punchcad.com for around $US99. The learning curve is short by comparison with other packages, and the output is fabulous! Usual disclaimer.

Regards, Ian.

I use ProgeCAD Smart! 2009, which is a free 2D slightly 3D, CAD program. Its user interface is extremely similar to AutoCAD LT. It has a learning curve, but once you "get" the logic of the program's view of drafting it becomes a lot easier.
I started out with a book that described how to use AutoCAD LT, began at the beginning, and worked my way through the exercises. About a hundred pages into it the lightbulb went on and I could proceed on my own.

I never did finish the book. I probably should have, since there are concepts I still don't understand, but I understand enough to do the 2D drawings I need.

The company calls it "charity-ware." It's free, but if you like the program they request that you make a donation to Doctors Without Borders

[ame]http://download.cnet.com/progeCAD-2009-Smart/3000-6677_4-10777485.html[/ame]

BigOnSteam said:
Jonesie-

I agree with Ron about 2D CAD being 1980's technology, but I had a heck of a time learning how to use 3D, since 3D is nothing like using a drawing board.

3D is like extruding and cutting shapes in a clay sculpture, and this is an animal in and of itself.

For simple geometric design that is the same as a drawing board, use 2D CAD, and don't worry about 3D.

If you master 2D and want to move up, then you can always have that option.

Some may be able to move directly from the drawing board to 3D, but I would think that would be the rare exception.

My thoughts are, don't use a locomotive to crack walnuts, and 3D is definitely a locomotive.

Pat J

My brain does not function well with some 3d modeling software. I tried autocad 2012 and cannot get my head around it, because you must start with nothing and grow your model from that. My brain does not work this way. Solidworks on the other hand you can make an extruded object like a cylinder or what have you, and take cuts out of it just like on a lathe or mill. It works awesome and is quite user friendly.

Hi.
I don't want to highjack this thread,but is there any freeware CAD program available for Mac OS X ?
Cheers,Ralph

Hi Jonesie,
The question that needs to be asked is what are you going to do with it. If all you want to do is make 2D drawings then Draftsight is a good free program. While I agree with what has been said about strictly 2D being old school it still has it's place. If you can visually 'see' in 3D space then making a 2D drawing is a snap. All programs have a learning curve but 3D modeling is a much bigger step then 2D.
I use an old version of AutoCad (2004) and have downloaded Draftsight and am amazed by the similarities. For the work that I do it's more than adequate. When I worked I used some high end 3D parametric modeling programs and once learned they were great but as I said it just depends what your end use is going to be.
gbritnell

check out draftsighti just want to do alittle 2d stuff instead of doing it the old way, on the board. i also do alittle set design for the theatre so maybe later i will get into 3d. i think i will check out draft sight. has anyone used sketch-up by google? thanks for all the different options will check them all out jonesie

Hi Ralph,
The ViaCAD 2D3D package I mentioned above in reply #7 runs very well on Macs
Regards, Ian.

Xlmyford said:
Hi.
I don't want to highjack this thread,but is there any freeware CAD program available for Mac OS X ?
Cheers,Ralph

Hi guys.

DraftSight is available for the Mac also. I currently use it on a Linux system and I'm very impressed with it. However if you are not familiar with the workings of AutoCAD the learning curve can be a bit steep. :eek:

Cheers

Jeff

jonesie,

I am a satisfied ViaCAD user on my MAC. (running 10.4.11) I have to wait for until I can get a computer upgrade to get an OS upgrade to get the newest ViaCAD, so I don't know about the newest. I have experience with lesser and greater programs, but this is the bang-for-buck level for my own use. I don't have a lot of money and prefer to spend it in the shop.

I would agree with everyone that says that Alibre is more program, even though I have not used it myself.

My own use if CAD is for myself and I usually make "unfinished" drawings that only go as far as I need for shop notes. As I learn more I get better and use more features of the software.

I would agree that understanding 3D modeling is the way to go for design, but it does require a different approach to what you do on the computer than 2D and the software must have features that facilitate easy work in that environment. (In a former job I got to play with Inventor, which was really great, but out of reach for a hobby user.)

If you are interested, I am working on a project in ViaCAD that I am considering making my second engine and putting it up as a build log. I am not doing CNC, but I am working through my thought processes on the computer before proceeding.

Latest posts

Back