BAZMAK-Diary of a Myford ML7 lathe restoration

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going thru my box of dwindling items that came with the lathe,i cleaned and refitted the threading indicator and the bed way wiper. Made and fitted a new detent pin,spring assy to the 4 way tool post. Fitted a couple of 8mm tools at centre height.All works great and ready for turning.
Also saw the 4" 3 jaw chuck its a Pratt Burnard so i stripped it all down
The jaws, scroll ,rack and pinion etc were all in excerlent condition but main
body had been abused. Someone had overtightened one of the adjusting gudgeon screw result was a small crack over one corner ,not a problem could
be left but the chuck was excerlent quality and worth saving so i ground out
a small divot over the crack and put in a stitch of weld. Fully dissasembled
clean up, oiled and refitted etc and the jobs a good one.Later on i can true it up
So far additional freebies from the bought lathe is
A 6" 4 jaw chuck fitted to the Sieg lathe
A 4" Adaptor plate to fit chinese chucks to the Myford
A 4" Pratt Bernard to fit the Myford
Still to go at,a 9" faceplt and a 4" catchplt
PB chuck 01.jpg

PB chuck 02.jpg

Obviously, I'm following the build but what intrigued me most was how you were repairing broken chuck screws.
I inherited a 4 jaw Myford with all 4 screws cracked. How did you do the repairs please? Probably it is a job that a squirt from a Mig would suffice.

Cheers

N

With a vast increase of heat-- 6 degrees C, I've started the Myford Super7 MARK ONE clutch repair

Morning Norm,i havent repaired any screws its too difficult the body of the chuck had a crack i just put a blob of weld on it and cleaned it up
If the screws are broken then so is the chuck.Tomorrow im ready to make some chips on the Myford.

Isn't a chuck made from spheroidal graphitic cast iron. Not easy to weld, perhaps brazing would be easier.

The screws on the my chuck jaws are pretty well strained.

Interesting problem ? Better concentrate on the present ones?

Whatever, I look forward to your exploits about when the wheels go round.

Regards

N

Yes the body SCI and as you say not easy to weld.Brazing involves too much heat and not easy to do to a large mass.MMA will simply stick the parts together which is all that was reqd.Cannot get a structural weld as you
rightly say.Mend and make do as my mother used to say.Alas in this day and age its throw away and replace

Made chips on the Myford.Very pleased it runs smooth and turns a nice finish
Have to get used to the handle orientation etc and its too cramped in my shed
so i am looking at putting a 2m x 1m shed alongside just to house the lathe
It worked well even though its the wrong height,not bolted down and only
mounted on my my temp wheeled trolley.Fitted the oilers and sussed how they work,cleaned up the last few items and trial fitted.I also highlighted the raised names etc in black to match the handles.I prefer it to red or cream. Now to look for other mods to doacessories 01.jpg

dab 01.jpg

dab 02.jpg

test 01.jpg

test 02.jpg

test 03.jpg

test 04.jpg

test 05.jpg

test 06.jpg

Yes it is its the first one i have owned.All the innards were in very good condition and the body cleaned up nicely.Someone had overtensioned one of the adjusting gudgeon pins/screws and the corner had a slight hairline crack
It could have been left as is but i put a stitch weld on it and tidied it up
Havent got round to adjusting concentricity yet but you can see its out
More fun.As you say a good score

After a visit to my local hardware store this morning i came back with
9 sheets of colourbond fence panelling x 2m high and 20m of 40x25 rhs
Fitted a 2m x 1m footprint of 40mm thk and 400sq pavers and started
the frames and structure. As you can see its the remaining space in my
garden with the clothsline sandwiched between the 2 sheds.Looking goodshed 01.jpg

shed 02.jpg

shed 03.jpg

shed 04.jpg

Not a lot of progress to see but a good half days work.Finished the sides
and connected top and bottom across the front. Front frame and doors to finish
Fitted the 30mm thk laminate workbench and picked up the translucent sheets
Another couple of days should see the Myford home and housed.Hinged doors may take a couple of days.Once i can start up the lathe i can use my test
bar to check concentric etc and set the pratt burnard chuckshed 05.jpg

shed 06.jpg

Another half day hard graft.Is it me or do we just slow down as we age
Translucent roof finished .Front frame finished and Myford housed
Just got back with most things i need to finish over the weekend
Pavers to finish the floor and rubber 5 bar tread matting to cover
Tube and hinges for the doors.Only things then will be locking door handle etc
then i can bolt the lathe down and use my homemade MT3 test bar to check
the spindle alignment etc. I knew it would come in handy

shed 07.jpg

shed 08.jpg

I'm sure that this will work but I would feel better if there was a solid support under the centre of your work table. It just looks too likely to sag to vibrate.

I do envy your ability to create an outdoor workshop where climate isn't an issue. Winter is ugly and your roof panels would collapse under snow weight in Canada.

One more thought would be to ensure chips of steel do not track beyond this shed enclosure as they will rust in the rain and ruin your walkway beside house. I did some outdoor grinding one year to make this discovery.

Take care.

Thank you for your input.I intend to fit a leg/legs to support the table but may want to make them bolt on/removeable.The 30mm thk laminate worktop has
a 50 x 25mm rhs support under at the front and the table has 2mm deflection
over 2m at the moment.Lots of shelving etc to sort out but at the moment its nice to have a clear uninterupted space
No snow loads here and i like the translucent sheets for extra light,workd well
on my other shed main disadvantage is it gets too hot in summer,but when its 40oc its too hot to work anyway.I do get a few chips with the other shed but they dont cause any concerns with the colour/type of paving and i have a small
vacuum cleaner to tidy up.Will sort out those problems when i start to use the lathe. The basic design of the shed is to lay additional 40mm thk pavers on top of the existing.The frame sits on them and the sheets of cladding go over the sides and project to existing level that makes the floor watertight and i will fit a rubber flooring sheet over. Rainfall here is only 500mm per year and is not a problem.Just having breakfast before i go out to finish the doors. Regards barry

Last edited:
Well another good day.Made and hung the doors.Fitted hardware etc
Finished the last pavers and laid the rubber matting.Shed is now at lockup
stage,just as it started to rain. Should give me a check for leakage before
i start finishing the inside with shelving ,power points and lighting etc:D
shed 09.jpg

shed 10.jpg

shed 11.jpg

shed 12.jpg

I can just imagine being stood at that here in Manchester, with diagonal rain coming in from left or right and dripping off the end of my nose :)

Being from Leeds and having worked in Manchester lots i know that Manchester
is known for its football not its weather.I remember Leeds beating Man U 1-0
in fog so thick that no one saw Bobby Collins score.Had to passed by on the roarof the Leeds fans. So if you can imagine a lovely summer day about 20/25c
then thats what it like for 8 months of the year here.When using my woodworking machines i work outside and on the empty block next door

in fog so thick that no one saw Bobby Collins score.Had to passed by on the roarof the Leeds fans. So if you can imagine a lovely summer day about 20/25c
then thats what it like for 8 months of the year here.When using my woodworking machines i work outside and on the empty block next door

That hurts as I look out the window at all the snow on the ground. If I want to paint something it basically has to wait until summer.

By the way your restoration looks dandy. I spent a few years just out of high school working with mechanics rebuilding industrial machines. While a good learning experience for the most part you only made the machines look good enough. Your lathe reflects far more care and love of machinery, keep up the good work.

Eyup sithee. I'm from Leeds myself (Middleton)

I served my apprenticeship at Forgrove at the top of Dewsbury rd near the Tommy Wass pub.,and at the bottom of Middleton Hill.
Middleton famous for the den of iniquity at the top called the Middleton Arms
And the steam railway preserved line and workings.Many a ride taken on it
but not many pints at the pub.Too rough for me

Latest posts

Back